• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are u going to leave USA now?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It was adopted in the 1600s, in a context where people were literally not at liberty to have certain thoughts, particularly in the area of religious opinion. I don't think it is pretentious.
In that historical context, I agree.
But in this age it seems obsolete.
And even worse than that, it might raise people's expectations of me.
I'd rather aim lower.....so I'm a "heathen".
Then all I need do is not steal their dog, & lo....I've risen above their expectations.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
They are not the only ones who reject evolutionary biology. There are Hindu creationists, proponents of theistic evolution and teleology and any other number of groups that usually claim they are not rejecting the findings when, in fact, they are.
Rejecting a materialist atheist interpretation of science is not rejecting science.

gsa

Rejecting a materialist atheist interpretation of science is not rejecting science.

It depends on the reason for the rejection. Theistic evolution is not science, and there's no empirical support for theistic evolution in the field of evolutionary biology. To the extent that it finds a purpose or design in nature, it is up against the overwhelming consensus of the field.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
It depends on the reason for the rejection. Theistic evolution is not science, and there's no empirical support for theistic evolution in the field of evolutionary biology. To the extent that it finds a purpose or design in nature, it is up against the overwhelming consensus of the field.
Well, I'm not expecting them to find evidence of God using material means.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I don't put sleeping with a woman in the same category as raping children.

True.

Father John Corapi was never de flocked as a priest. Only placed on administrative leave. He resigned from the priesthood on his own accord, not that it really matters now anyways.

Personally I could care less if clergy sleeps around with adult women either, but it does serve a point considering the office that is served, as to weither such conduct remains prudent or not in scope of one's. profession.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I was under the impression that the moral directives of the religion were to be followed under any given context.
In Judaism many of their laws are only applicable while in Israel, and only applicable while their is a Temple. Without the Temple, many of the laws do not apply, such as how driving laws do not apply if you are not driving - and outside of Israel many laws do not apply, which is how the laws of pretty much every nation work, that is, they only apply in that nation.
I don't know all the specifics, but that is what I have heard several Jewish members state over the years.

dust1n

Zindīq
In Judaism many of their laws are only applicable while in Israel, and only applicable while their is a Temple. Without the Temple, many of the laws do not apply, such as how driving laws do not apply if you are not driving - and outside of Israel many laws do not apply, which is how the laws of pretty much every nation work, that is, they only apply in that nation.
I don't know all the specifics, but that is what I have heard several Jewish members state over the years.
Sure, but that isn't the case for the situation in question, as far as I know.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
That's nice. Evolutionary biology isn't a danger to religion. I accept evolutionary theory, even physical and forensic anthropology and genetics which says we're not all the same. I love science.

Of course it isn't. Belief in God and the supernatural are very likely natural adaptations.

Ciao

- viole

catch22

Question: if you lose your faith tomorrow (purely hypothetically), do you think that you could change your position against things like gay marriage as well?

In otter words: how strong is the link between your opposition to gay marriage and the existence of the Christian God?

Ciao

- viole

An interesting question. I'm not sure if I can give you a completely honest answer, due to cognitive bias. But I will try. Let me preface and say that, in college, I used to advocate the whole "love who you want, marry who you want, it doesn't affect me" mentality. It doesn't "hurt anyone else." That sort of thing. Of course now, I cannot ever go back to that. That was primarily out of indifference; I didn't actually CARE because the issue didn't actually affect me. But it seemed "fair," in my worldly view -- how is it fair I can love and marry and someone cannot, since they love and want to marry someone I wouldn't? It seems hypocritical, if you will, from the worldly perspective.

My honest answer, in your hypothetical situation, is I likely would revert to a state of lack of caring, as before: so it's a yes and a no. I wouldn't "oppose" it, because I wouldn't care about it. Since I'm not gay, the issue doesn't affect me, so I'd probably be on the fence due to indifference. Most say they care -- however, it's my experience, they don't REALLY care; it just seems more fair, from the worldly perspective. Besides, live and let live is non-confrontational, despite more-than-whom-will-admit it's against nature and in general, an off-putting topic overall. Alas, my morals at that time in my life seemed more modern than such an ancient book written by plain old humans.

I can empathize with the position, believe me.

On the other hand, if you hypothetically embraced the God of Israel, His laws, and His Son, would you sudden begin... caring? You phrased it as "opposition," and naturally make it a violent situation. If I could merely phrase it as "caring," would you believe that, in the hypothetical case you believed as I do, that it is indeed caring to inform people about their err as opposed to letting one abide in sin, which is death? I suppose I might say, you underestimate the severity of the situation. At least from my perspective.

Best,
-Dan

JoStories

I beleive I am beginning to like the idea of a red state secession. We could keep the Bill of Rights and actually interpret it correctly as opposed to the way the stupid justices interpet it.
You are absolutely free to do this. I have never liked the southeastern states nor Texas and all those like it. It smacks, at least to me, of another civil war much like the slavery issues. So go right ahead and secede. You will not be missed.

JoStories

i've seen it many times...anyone who does not accept homosexuality is insulted with being old fashioned, unreasonable, homophobic, bigoted and a whole host of other demeaning things.
I've never insulted you or those like you. I respect your right to believe whatever you want to. I also expect, and I don't expect this to happen, but I do expect you and others like you to respect me in kind.