• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are us-americans criminals?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I know that civil servants in many countries have better job protection than people who are privatly employed and thus are more difficult to fire (I assume it is like that in the US) but even so (and it doesn't have to be that way) they can get fired if they don't do a good job.
Why would you assume that a person who is publicly employed (or what ever it is called when you ar not privatly employed) would not get fired for not doing his job properly?
Tis a general trend. Mrs Rev's father was an editor at Voice Of America in DC. He was under direct orders to give all his workers a positive review.
(I imagine that this was to show how well run it was.) Yet a couple did no work.....well....one guy ran a real estate business on the side. How do
you justify disciplining or firing someone who gets glowing employee evaluations? I have many more such stories.

I never claimed that prisons would magically turm into good prisons if they were government run.
I know. I also don't expect privately run prisons to be a panacea. They just offer enuf potential that they're worth trying.

Efficiency usually means cutting staff. :yes:
Again a government run prison doesn't need to worry about profit at all.
Efficiency is a larger issue than just staff size. It's also right-sizing, training, methods, technology, etc, etc. When I compare facilities maintenance
at our local university & City to private companies, there's an awful lot of fat in the public sector. Their employees work shorter hours, take longer
to do a job & need more workers & supervisors. It was always a joke when my workers would go to a plumbing supply house by themselves in their
own vehicle, & see University employees 2-per-vehicle just to go get parts.

I will give you that one. But I don't see it as a big problem as it is not the prison which would be regulating it self which if it was government run. The regulating body would be an other government run entity.
Government is friendlier to government. I'm not even saying it's a "problem". I'm just looking at potential for improvement.

Mmm bacon, wait...
Are you saying bacon taste so good because pigs don't snitch. :confused:
Absolutely! Pigs have a strong code & sense of honor, unlike chickens & pigeons, who have a reputation for being stoolies.
And cows? Don't get me going about their buckling under pressure of interrogation. They only taste good because they get to socialize with pigs.

That's why I said, they sometimes SEEM irrelevant. I didn't say they ARE irrelevant. I was discussing how, even in New Orleans, the homocide capital of the US, in most neighborhoods, one is very safe - though in other parts of that large city, you'd be a fool to walk the streets after dark.

The stats are real - but only in one sense. They don't mean much in some neighborhoods, and mean everything in others - even though those neighborhoods may only be five miles apart.
Okay gotcha.

Otherright

Otherright
Our prisons are corporate. Justice has nothing to do with it. Cells have to be filled to qualify for Federal funding. You are far more likely to go to prison in the US than in Europe for doing the same thing, and you'll spend more time there.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Our prisons are corporate. Justice has nothing to do with it. Cells have to be filled to qualify for Federal funding. You are far more likely to go to prison in the US than in Europe for doing the same thing, and you'll spend more time there.
All of the prisons around here are government owned & run.
Clearly, our problems are not caused by privatization.

I had a moonlighting prison guard working for me once.
He gave me a very interesting perspective on government efficiency.
Oh, the things they'd do.....

Manss

No , I think American prisons is not a place for education !! the prisoners that stay e few years there become psychopath because of bad behaviors, whether from hard prison polices or other evildoer prisoners , as it has been showed in some movies. if a human go in such prisons come out wolf or dead

Last edited: