• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you a great debater?

How good of a debater are you?

• I can beat anyone on this form

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • Most RF'ers are below my precentile

• I'm rather skilled on many subjects

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • I'm an alright debater

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • I'm alright, but there are many better then me

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • I do okay on simple matters

• Admittedly terrible

Votes: 9 18.8%

• Total voters

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Meh, I'm alright at times, but overall my posts are ignored or misconstrued.
But I don't like debating anyway.

Rakhel

Only when I'm drunk. Otherwise I tend to stutter over my words, or just completely leave the debate.

dust1n

Zindīq
Meh, I'm alright at times, but overall my posts are ignored or misconstrued.
But I don't like debating anyway.

That's true. I realize many people on the forums rarely debate, while others almost do it exclusively. I just seek a general self-assessment in this area.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Actually, I think I'm probably much better when it comes to in-person than online really. I find debates online sometimes to be exhausting as you have to rely solely on the written word to get your point across in order to describe what you are trying to say and sometimes the written word can be such a difficult tool to use in comparison to having body language and voice inflection in your toolbox. Instead of having to go on and on trying to explain what you are talking about, a simple inflection and gesture may be all that's needed to get past something and move on and drill home your point rather than inane crapola over semantics. That's what drives me nuts.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I am a fairly good debate but as Odion said so many misuse your own comments because they have nothing to debate over it just turns into a petty squabble often.

Most good arguments are ignorance in exchange for lengthy posts to proof superiority and fakery of insults.

Kerr

I am ok. Not the best, not the worst. Better then in real life, though, becuase I have this tendency to know what I want to say, but not how to say it. Being on a forum makes it easier because I get more time to think through my posts.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
That's true. I realize many people on the forums rarely debate, while others almost do it exclusively. I just seek a general self-assessment in this area.
Yeah, some people like to come here and debate, some to troll, and others just to chat and learn. I'm here usually for number three, sometimes number two. ;)

On here, my posts aren't extremist or ignorant enough to warrant a response. :)D) You get more attention on here if you say something like "hurr evolution isn't real <insert ignorant claim about evolution, e.g., how pigs give birth to dogs, even though that isn't evolution>" or "gays are evil!" or whatever.

Interestingly, I'm alright in debates offline. My old man said something about religion and violence or something (I forget what), and I just immediately spouted off a detailed, complex answer, without even paying him much attention.

But I know that debate is usually ineffective anyway. Very, very rarely does it convince someone else. Even after my quite detailed and well-researched answer, he just said, "Well it does anyway." :D

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I am a fairly good debate but as Odion said so many misuse your own comments because they have nothing to debate over it just turns into a petty squabble often.

Most good arguments are ignorance in exchange for lengthy posts to proof superiority and fakery of insults.
Yeah, it's not unusual to find a post responding to your own with your reaction being "...how the hell did they get that from my post?!"

Queue a response. Queue theirs.
And the poop-flinging begins.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Nah, I suck at it. I tend to not be able to find the right words to convey my meaning (meds. and kind of ****** in the head), so I come off as snarky, arrogant, condescending, brash, snotty (I think that goes along with snarky? :shrug:) and just your garden variety dooshbag. If I could transmit telepathically or do mind-melds, the world would be a happier place.