• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you a great debater?

How good of a debater are you?

• I can beat anyone on this form

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • Most RF'ers are below my precentile

• I'm rather skilled on many subjects

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • I'm an alright debater

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • I'm alright, but there are many better then me

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • I do okay on simple matters

• Admittedly terrible

Votes: 9 18.8%

• Total voters

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Yeah, it's not unusual to find a post responding to your own with your reaction being "...how the hell did they get that from my post?!"

Queue a response. Queue theirs.
And the poop-flinging begins.

My very first debate on RF was with an atheist somehow twisting every word I said into making it believe that I....

"Reject evolution.
Believe morality only comes from god.
Atheists have no morals.
and salvation can only come from god."

I believe in absolutely none of these things and somehow it entered the conversation as factual :facepalm:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
My very first debate on RF was with an atheist somehow twisting every word I said into making it believe that I....

"Reject evolution.
Believe morality only comes from god.
Atheists have no morals.
and salvation can only come from god."

I believe in absolutely none of these things and somehow it entered the conversation as factual :facepalm:
Facts. Who needs 'em? :D

dust1n

Zindīq
But I know that debate is usually ineffective anyway. Very, very rarely does it convince someone else. Even after my quite detailed and well-researched answer, he just said, "Well it does anyway." :D

That's true... at the point, I usually stick to debating with people I know to incredibly conscious and attentive debators. Otherwise, it most always feel like a waste of time talking to a wall.

Oh, and I don't suppose you can fix debator to debater for me, can ya? :D

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I'm pretty crappy at it. I don't know a lot of stuff and I have a terrible memory for interesting factoids. I'm not witty, or pithy, nor brave in the face of intense onslaught.

And the written form online is my good side. Spoken debate is pretty much non-existent for me.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
That's true... at the point, I usually stick to debating with people I know to incredibly conscious and attentive debators. Otherwise, it most always feel like a waste of time talking to a wall.

Oh, and I don't suppose you can fix debator to debater for me, can ya? :D
Done. :)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Facts. Who needs 'em? :D
Facts are over-rated. Sure, sure, they're useful...when they're actually facts, & they're incorporated into a cogent argument. But so often mere opinion is proffered as fact, & even real facts are trotted out as though they constitute an argument by their mere existence.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
It's a mood thing with me. I just don't care enough about many of the topics to write endlessly, in minute detail. If I have a burr in my saddle though... I can handle myself well. As Draka said, I'm much more aggressive in person, where it actually matters.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I think debate is the brains way of "boxing"..
Everyone beats the **** out of each other and you" both" go home with your eye cut and a black eye and a detached cornea ..You win only if you made more punches that hit in ya know the "fair zone"...And your prize is you are worthy to fight one more time.But so is your opponent after mehhhh...12 rounds...DING DING DING DING!!!! TKO!

Last edited:

yoda89

On Xtended Vacation
I'm really not a great religious debater. However, I am still trying to learn more about this concept. However, I would consider myself more skilled in political debate forums.

Shermana

Heretic
I think debate is the brains way of "boxing"..
Everyone beats the **** out of each other and you" both" go home with your eye cut and a black eye and a detached cornea ..You win only if you made more punches that hit in ya know the "fair zone"...And your prize is you are worthy to fight one more time.But so is your opponent after mehhhh...12 rounds...DING DING DING DING!!!! TKO!

Problem is, too many try to hit below the belt or use elbows.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
I suck at it. I have a big problem of being able to verbalize the thoughts that are in my head, and I think this is at least party due to my Autism. For this, and other reasons, I suck at teaching too. I'm a great learner, though.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Terrible, because I generally refuse to debate in the first place. You will automatically "win" because I'm not interested in the so-called "contest" to begin with. :shrug:

I'd rather be good at explaining things in a way others can understand. A good teacher. And I am decent at that, both IRL and online.

InChrist

Free4ever
I suck at it. I have a big problem of being able to verbalize the thoughts that are in my head, and I think this is at least party due to my Autism. For this, and other reasons, I suck at teaching too. I'm a great learner, though.

I never would have guessed you have Autism. You use words and seem to articulate your thoughts in an excellent manner.