• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you a great debater?

How good of a debater are you?

• I can beat anyone on this form

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • Most RF'ers are below my precentile

• I'm rather skilled on many subjects

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • I'm an alright debater

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • I'm alright, but there are many better then me

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • I do okay on simple matters

• Admittedly terrible

Votes: 9 18.8%

• Total voters

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
And, of course, wehn you retract or correct, the other person will implicitly or directly make that seem like your entire argument is invalid.

Some people's parents should have been publicly spirited enough to have eaten their child at birth.

4consideration

Premium Member
I just now voted, "I can beat anyone on this Forum".

It's true, too! I've never met anyone during my nine years on this Forum that could force me to accept even an overwhelming weight of logical reasoning and empirical evidence against my will. So there! Eat my dust, y'all!

Really? What about getting you to see their way with an appeal to ego?

I know you probably won't admit it, because you're too noble, modest, and obviously above the pettiness of ego-stroking, but I think you seem like of fine specimen of raw manly power, intelligence, humor, wit and wisdom -- probably dashingly handsome, in that rugged, mountain man sort of way.

I don't think you'd fall for that ego thing, either.:)

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Really? What about getting you to see their way with an appeal to ego?

I know you probably won't admit it, because you're too noble, modest, and obviously above the pettiness of ego-stroking, but I think you seem like of fine specimen of raw manly power, intelligence, humor, wit and wisdom -- probably dashingly handsome, in that rugged, mountain man sort of way.

I don't think you'd fall for that ego thing, either.:)

*feels his resistance melting...melting...*

Would you please endlessly elaborate? I feel so...so deeply appreciated! Is there anything else you'd like me to believe?

4consideration

Premium Member
*feels his resistance melting...melting...*

Would you please endlessly elaborate? I feel so...so deeply appreciated! Is there anything else you'd like me to believe?

Sure. How about that I have indubitable proof about the actual existence of God, but it's too important to talk about on a public forum -- or with anyone, ever?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Sure. How about that I have indubitable proof about the actual existence of God, but it's too important to talk about on a public forum -- or with anyone, ever?

Too important? I've always thought it was much too personal to talk about it. But, I believe now that I can see -- did you say, "rugged, mountain man"? -- that I can see your -- you did mention, "intelligence", didn't you? -- see your point! Yes, your entire point! How obvious it is to me now!

AmbiguousGuy

I suppose we could use the Forum's poll option to set up a jury of those interested, if we really wanted to put it to a vote.

But everyone hates me -- mostly because I'm so pretty and such a marvelous debater -- and they'll vote against me out of jealousy!

There's no justice in this life, I'm pretty sure.

Slapstick

I’m the greatest debater to ever live!

I hold a few titles due to my outstanding abilities to debate. One of them is “Master of the Interwebs”. It wasn’t easy, but I achieved this due to my outstanding ability to put up with stupidity. Another title that I hold is “Champion of everything you thought you knew, but know little about”. I earned that one after I put a few dweebs into submission regarding fusion and ToE.

As far as the forums go and my outstanding ability to be awesome, I would say there is a 99.9999% chance that I am master of these forums when it comes to any given topic and debating.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
But everyone hates me -- mostly because I'm so pretty and such a marvelous debater -- and they'll vote against me out of jealousy!

There's no justice in this life, I'm pretty sure.

I'm certain you're right. People can -- and so often do -- find endless rationalizations for why they needn't change their views even despite overwhelming reason and evidence to the contrary. The anti-vaccination craze of many liberals, and the free market fundamentalism of many conservatives are just two of many cases where people are prone to rationalize more than they are prone to reason.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I’m the greatest debater to ever live!

I hold a few titles due to my outstanding abilities to debate. One of them is “Master of the Interwebs”. It wasn’t easy, but I achieved this due to my outstanding ability to put up with stupidity. Another title that I hold is “Champion of everything you thought you knew, but know little about”. I earned that one after I put a few dweebs into submission regarding fusion and ToE.

As far as the forums go and my outstanding ability to be awesome, I would say there is a 99.9999% chance that I am master of these forums when it comes to any given topic and debating.

Yes, but to quit beating around the bush, are you any good at debating?

AmbiguousGuy

Be careful. This place is totally polluted with .00001s. They're everywhere.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I think my debating ability would be best judged by other people rather than me.

I've yet to meet an irrational person who recognizes their own irrationality, so more often than not, self-judgments don't tell me much besides what the person thinks of their ability to reason.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think my debating ability would be best judged by other people rather than me.

If you want my opinion, you're a generally rational debater. But more importantly, perhaps, you seem often enough open to being persuaded by a sufficient weight of sound logic and empirical evidence. Your only major flaw is that you rely much too heavily on the fallacy of appealing to emotions. No one, my friend, really buys your oft repeated nonsense about how the deity will kill an impossibly cute baby camel if we fail to accept your views.

I've yet to meet an irrational person who recognizes their own irrationality, so more often than not, self-judgments don't tell me much besides what the person thinks of their ability to reason.

To add to that, the most rational people I personally know tend to habitually question the soundness of their reasoning. Sometimes, excessively.

AmbiguousGuy

A debate is won by putting forth substantial arguments for supporting one own's side which cannot be addressed, while the opponent's arguments are addressed, but the opponent cannot address the former's arguments.

Yeah but usually my opponents curse my arguments as silly, nonsensical things which they could stomp all over if only they weren't late for an important date just now.

Maybe my arguments are silly, nonsensical and stompable and my opponents are really late for a date. Or maybe my arguments overwhelmed them with unanswerableness.

It's hard to know for sure.