• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you saved?

waitasec

Veteran Member
I am sorry if my beliefs are offensive to you or others. But they are my beliefs and I am simply sharing what I earnestly believe to be the truth. I am not trying to put anyone down. I just know for myself, myself mind you, that I know I am a terrible sinner and have broken all ten commandments repeatedly. So, I did need salvation and accepted the free gift. If you do not believe you need salvation that's not my business, its fine, I am not offended nor do I mean to offend. Just sharing my beliefs.

look i know you are not trying to put anyone down but
do you realize what the implication of applying YOUR beliefs to others is?
it's a really interesting dynamic...one that is a contradiction. in other words it's a haughty humble stance you are taking on.
MY humble belief should be EVERYONES...i don't get, never did.

yes YOU need salvation and leave it at that, otherwise you begin to step on toes and people don't usually like that.

javajo

look i know you are not trying to put anyone down but
do you realize what the implication of applying YOUR beliefs to others is?
it's a really interesting dynamic...one that is a contradiction. in other words it's a haughty humble stance you are taking on.
MY humble belief should be EVERYONES...i don't get, never did.

yes YOU need salvation and leave it at that, otherwise you begin to step on toes and people don't usually like that.
Like I said, if you don't believe you "need to be saved", that's not my business and is perfectly fine with me. But, I am still going to share my religious beliefs just like everyone else here. I'm not asking anyone to agree with them or like them. And of course lots of people are going to be offended by other people's beliefs. Like if someone thinks its wrong to be a lesbian, I'm not gonna like that too much and may say so. The reason I share my beliefs is not because I feel better than others or think bad of others. I feel most people in the world are probably much better, moral people than myself. I share because, believing the Bible is true, I feel I should tell people the Good News. Same as if I saw someone about to be hit by a truck, I would be compelled to warn them. I know you do not believe the same as me and you don't believe you have ever sinned or need a saviour and I know you aren't about to be hit by a truck and I do respect you and think highly of you and I don't know what more to say than I"M SORRY I OFFENDED YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:sorry1::sorry1::sorry1::sorry1::sorry1::sorry1::sorry1::sorry1::sorry1:

waitasec

Veteran Member
Like I said, if you don't believe you "need to be saved", that's not my business and is perfectly fine with me.
But, I am still going to share my religious beliefs just like everyone else here. I'm not asking anyone to agree with them or like them
yes you are, if you were not concerned if others agree or dislike your religious belief, why are you defending it?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Well, assuming that I'm going to Hell whether it be satan or the big ol' G up there that I have to worship, I'm definitely not saved

Reverend Richard

New Thought Minister
First of all, you are making this far too personal. My speculations are not directed towards you, they are trying to describe the mind set of general attitudes out there. Such as my very last statement which you call disingenuous. You have not met that man?... the one who says I’m a good person, I deserve heaven, I don’t sin much at all, etc., but never darkens the door of a church or sincerely prays to his Lord on a regular basis except to ask for a lottery win? These are the people that concern me the most because as Jesus says “father forgive them, they know not what they do.”

I also believe you misinterpreted my words in the first line. No, reverend, I am not offended in the least by anyone’s words on these boards. I always figured the man who gets upset or feels offended is the one who is quite insincere in his own skin. And that is not me. I am a grateful Christian certain of Jesus as One and Only and ready to accept suffering and setback during our earthly trial even though I do not necessarily enjoy it.

Finally, so you have at least honestly declared you thought you knew the truth on various occasions but now you realize you did not or could not have known. Ok, I believe you. But what you go further to imply is that none of us can know the truth. Why is that? Because you have been given that knowledge that no one can know?

Well, I am sorry but I do know. I know just as well as St. Peter knew and St. Paul knew. I know just as well as the glorified saints of the Catholic Church knew. God reveals Himself to those He chooses or to those who keep the demands of His covenant, and for other reasons as well. I have been given way, way too much to not be sure. For me to turn my back on God now would be eternally fatal. The evidence for Jesus Christ as the Son of God goes far beyond just Scripture. I really am not concerned if certain passages in the Old Testament do not seem to have been fulfilled by Jesus Christ. The devil is clever and all it takes is a seed or two of doubt for many souls to remain uncommitted. That is a comfort zone for them, but not nearly as justified as they would be led to believe.

So you or another can go through this life convincing quite a number that we can never know who God is, or which one is God, or what we are supposed to do, or if heaven and hell even exist, and you can tell them all not to worry. But quite frankly, I find that type of “kindness” to be awfully dangerous if not diabolic in some ways. No, you would not be accused of evil I highly doubt, but such ignorance is doing the devil’s bidding. It is keeping God’s people in the dark and it shows in how they choose to live their lives.

So if I have offended you (again) then I am sorry. Perhaps I am not clever enough to put this in kinder words or less direct words. But these religion boards never seem to change. They are filled with skeptics who think if they can top the Christian guy they are talking to then they have won an important battle and the war is going well for them ---- especially because there are so many willing ears around here to embrace their message. And then once again I summarize with my speculations why there are so many eager unbelievers and doubters. Because I do doubt their sincerity, I believe they want the easy way out in life and it is as Jesus says --- their hearts are sluggish. There is simply too much at stake here for me to be overly polite or cowardly about this.

@ Vanity - you have not offended me in the least. Everything you are saying, I once believed, so I understand your position. I was there too at one time.

In fact, I would l ike to continue our discussion. However, for the next several week I will be "offline" developing training materials and teaching classes, so I will have very little free time to devote to discussion on RF, so for now I must bow out.

Many blessings...Reverend Richard

Last edited:

Reverend Richard

New Thought Minister
This is not at all what I was expecting. So your position is the bible is between 0% and 100% accurate and there is really no reason to care what exactly it is. Since countless scholars have found this important enough to base entire careers and books on and there have been entire classes of people who have been specifically trained to accurately copy the texts and some who have even been killed for failure I do not share your valuation of this subject. In jurice prudence the percentage of what can be verified is used to establish the reliability of what can't be. The bible contains 25,000 historical corroberations, thousands of fulfilled prophecies, philisophic and scientific claims that are consistent with reality. Since proof for the more supernatural claims would eliminate the need for faith then I do not think we were meant to know those for sure. Using the rest as a guide then what isn't verifiable is still reliable.

They were all written within the life spans of eye witnesses and the bible is almost totally unique among ancient texts in this regard. They were also written way too soon for any sophisticated myth to develop. Paul met the resurrected Jesus and since he was an expert in the law and was tasked with starting the transition of the church not recording Jesus' life because there were four other writers doing that, then I find him more than qualified. If I wanted to know haow Jesus fed 5000 then I look to the gospels. If I want to know doctrinal issues that deal with the law and grace I look to Paul among others.

I will just have to disagree. Since you fall short what can you do about it since every word about Jesus could be corrupted and so could not be used to develop a faith that allows God to save. I thought you might be slightly higher or lower in your percentage but the lack of concern is strange. To be honest I know my numbers are pretty accurate, this is a subject I have researched for years. It is vitally important, in fact it is one of the most important issues in human history. Since computers exist almost every error is known and indicated which is good because many times a comma makes a large doctinal difference. As I said the bible is supernaturally accurate and is vastly more reliable than in any other text in ancient literature. Selah,

@ Robin - Thanks for engaging me in this discussion. I would like to continue our discussion regarding your use of percentages in terms calculating the "accuracy" of the Bible. While I think the use of statistics and percentages is useful, it tells very little of the story in terms of Biblical accuracy.

I would like to continue our discussion. However, as I mentioned to Vanity in this same thread, for the next several week I will be "offline" developing training material and teaching classes. I will have very little free time to devote to discussion on RF, so for now I must bow out.

Blessings......Reverend Richard