• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you superstitious?

Are you superstitious?

• Total voters

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Really? From what I know of your beliefs, I would have guessed you were somewhat superstitious.
Why would you not have guessed that? From Webster's:

Full Definition of SUPERSTITION
1 a : a belief or practice resulting from ignorance, fear of the unknown, trust in magic or chance, or a false conception of causation

b : an irrational abject attitude of mind toward the supernatural, nature, or God resulting from superstition

2: a notion maintained despite evidence to the contrary

Logic has always been my modus operandi towards the paranormal and spiritual. Maybe because I'm a skeptic and a believer in many spiritual and paranormal things, I have become good at slicing away that not based on reasoned thinking.

Wirey

Fartist
When I played ball, I would always turn my socks inside out so any bad juju would be left on the floor, so no. I was just reasonable.

Gambit

Logic has always been my modus operandi towards the paranormal and spiritual. Maybe because I'm a skeptic and a believer in many spiritual and paranormal things, I have become good at slicing away that not based on reasoned thinking.

Do you believe your thoughts (positive or negative) can have a causal-influence beyond your own personal mind or consciousness? If you believe minds are joined at a higher-level (which you appear to believe), then it would make rational sense that this could indeed occur. In fact, I see this as the possible rational basis for the so-called irrational superstition of the "evil-eye," which is ubiquitous in all traditional cultures.

Last edited:

George-ananda

Premium Member
Do you believe your thoughts (positive or negative) can have a causal-influence beyond your own personal mind or consciousness?

If you believe minds are joined at a higher-level (which you appear to believe), then it would make rational sense that this could indeed occur. In fact, I see this as the possible rational basis for the so-called irrational superstition of the "evil-eye," which is ubiquitous in all traditional cultures.
Yes, but I believe there are genuine causes (i.e. positive/negative producing vibrations). If I did not believe this real causation exists I would not believe in such things. This is not what I call 'superstition' but my best understanding of reality.

Gambit

Yes, but I believe there are genuine causes (i.e. positive/negative producing vibrations). If I did not believe this real causation exists I would not believe in such things. This is not what I call 'superstition' but my best understanding of reality.

But I would argue that your belief meets Merriam-Webster's general definition of "superstition," which defines the term as "a belief or way of behaving that is based on fear of the unknown and faith in magic or luck : a belief that certain events or things will bring good or bad luck." You believe that the "magic" of positive or negative vibrations (thoughts) can bring you good or bad luck.

George-ananda

Premium Member
But I would argue that your belief meets Merriam-Webster's general definition of "superstition," which defines the term as "a belief or way of behaving that is based on fear of the unknown and faith in magic or luck : a belief that certain events or things will bring good or bad luck." You believe that the "magic" of positive or negative vibrations (thoughts) can bring you good or bad luck.
I don't think it's 'magic'. I think it's part of 'science'. Vibrations can effect our higher bodies; that's not magic or superstition in my view. There is rational basis for the belief. I would not call fear of being stabbed by a physical knife a superstition. I'm just replacing knife with a 'negative vibration in a higher dimension' in my argument.

Blastcat

I voted no, if I see a ladder, I will walk under it.
Not a good idea.. some old wives tales happen to be TRUE.. Don't be stupid, walk AROUND the ladder. Things fall off of ladders, people fall off of ladders, ladders THEMSELVES fall.

What the heck are you trying to PROVE by walking under like that? That you are so un-superstitious that things can't harm you?

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Maybe. I try to avoid walking on grates in the sidewalk out of fear that I'll fall in and I'm sure there's other things too. I used to have some OCD type of behaviors when I was younger.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Not a good idea.. some old wives tales happen to be TRUE.. Don't be stupid, walk AROUND the ladder. Things fall off of ladders, people fall off of ladders, ladders THEMSELVES fall.

What the heck are you trying to PROVE by walking under like that? That you are so un-superstitious that things can't harm you?
Yea your right, I don't really make a habit of it, it was me just making a point, I don't believe in superstations.