• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you superstitious?

Are you superstitious?

• Total voters

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Seeing some of the names of those who voted "no" convinces me that self-reporting is rarely accurate in such questions.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I hate to break it to you, but you aren't perfect, my friend, and neither am I.

I am QUITE sure you have some faults. I can enjoy life even though I accept the fact of your imperfection. Setting back and doing nothing is perfectly lazy. But as long as you're happy, then it's real. Perfectly real, right?

Because what counts in your world, is that you're happy. Well, cows can be happy. I aspire to more than mere happiness. I have other qualities than merely being passive and happy. Maybe some people can't do any more than smile and be happy. Ok.. yes, I understand that.. BUT sitting on asses aren't the best things in life. We can and SHOULD do better.

All of us should contribute positively to the betterment of mankind. It would not be helpful for everyone to sit down and smile their life away. We NEED more people to DO positive things. You ENJOY the fruits of their labor. You should be advocating that people CONTRIBUTE what they can, and not just take whatever they can in the most passive way possible.

we aren't exactly GOATS
You just don't understand what I am saying, we are not the just the mind body organism, our true nature is Consciousness, or God if you prefer that name. As long as we believe we are just the body, yes, we are not perfect, but when we realize our true self, the Christ, then we are made perfect, because we are now living in Christ. When I say Christ, I don't mean the mythical man in the bible called Jesus, he only represented the Christ, and made the Christ personalised for those who couldn't understand, that is why he talked in parables, those who were ready, would understand the secret message in the parables, and they were the ones who became perfect in Christ.
Matthew 5:48 - Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Last edited:

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
I have decided to reconsider, and say actually I am superstitious. In the magical sense. Super, in the sense of seeing the reality that in the "big nature" or SUPER (which just isn't lions, and tigers and bears - which makes things and thYngs interesting and dangers are pretty exciting actually - but BIG as in outer space and invisible and Visible and Vysible sense, dimensional big and full of voices and "things") you HAVE to be "magical" to be independently adventurous and carry a big wand instead of bed ridden whiner. So you have to face the fact that many things, including non-personal do-dads which just move around as part of the BIG and can actually ruin your day sometimes, they are bigger than you so better walk or fly with a magic wand, you may have to buy a wand license however or you can zap your own foot.

And stitious as in stitio or itchy.

So yes, I sometimes "sense" if you do this or that, BIG is out there, so don't or it's "bad luck".

Like knocking over the "idol". Bad. BAD luck. Don't do that.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I don't know what "magic" is or supposed to be. It means anything.
Brit. /ˈmadʒɪk/ , U.S. /ˈmædʒɪk/
Forms: ME magik, ME magyk, ME magyque, ME malgyk, ME maugik, ME–15 magike, ME–15 ... (Show More)
Etymology: < Middle French magique (c1277 in Old French: for the homographic adjective see ... (Show More)
1. a. The use of ritual activities or observances which are intended to influence the course of events or to manipulate the natural world, usually involving the use of an occult or secret body of knowledge; sorcery, witchcraft. Also: this practice as a subject of study.
b. With defining adjective. natural magic n. (also †magic natural) hist. magic involving the manipulation of supposed occult properties of the natural world (usually excluding the conjuration of personal spirits); this skill as a subject of study.
c. An instance of magic; a magical procedure or rite. Also concr.: a magical object, a charm or fetish.
like magic: without any apparent explanation; with incredible rapidity; with great ease. Cf. like adv.,
An inexplicable and remarkable influence producing surprising results; an enchanting or mystical quality; glamour, appeal. Also: exceptional skill or talent, inspired accomplishment.

Gambit

I don't know what "magic" is or supposed to be. It means anything.

Merriam-Webster defines "magic" as "the use of means (as charms or spells) believed to have supernatural power over natural forces" and "an extraordinary power or influence seemingly from a supernatural source."

Catholics believes that when the priest consecrates the Eucharistic host that it is literally transformed into the body of Christ by the supernatural power of God. (The technical term for this belief is known as the doctrine of "transubstantiation'). Such a belief qualifies as a magical belief based on the definition given above.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Merriam-Webster defines "magic" as "the use of means (as charms or spells) believed to have supernatural power over natural forces" and "an extraordinary power or influence seemingly from a supernatural source."

Catholics believes that when the priest consecrates the Eucharistic host that it is literally transformed into the body of Christ by the supernatural power of God. (The technical term for this belief is known as the doctrine of "transubstantiation'). Such a belief qualifies as a magical belief based on the definition given above.
You have made a mistake, check the definition of 'magic' in Merriam Webster again - you missed most of it.

Blastcat

I never said that I was not superstitious. I voted and my vote is public for everyone to see.
I was asking for your definition, if, as you say you ARE superstitious, and keep your definition of superstition under your hat, and we have reason to think your definition is peculiar to yourself, then, it's no use to us at all in helping us understand what you mean by it.

Don't you communicate to be understood by people? You take the trouble of communicating.. And I have NO idea what you mean by "superstition".

If you could clarify that, it would be helpful. Otherwise, I have no idea what you're talking about. Maybe you don't actually care if people understand your position. I've met quite a few people like that in my world travels, and beyond........:p

Gambit

I was asking for your definition, if, as you say you ARE superstitious, and keep your definition of superstition under your hat, and we have reason to think your definition is peculiar to yourself, then, it's no use to us at all in helping us understand what you mean by it.

Don't you communicate to be understood by people? You take the trouble of communicating.. And I have NO idea what you mean by "superstition".

If you could clarify that, it would be helpful. Otherwise, I have no idea what you're talking about. Maybe you don't actually care if people understand your position. I've met quite a few people like that in my world travels, and beyond........:p

I provided a link to the definition of term in the OP. I suggest you read it.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I join my family in their rituals. They are theists and superstitious.

I believe that religions can have superstitions but I am not sure how rituals fall into that category. For instance believing that wine turn into blood at the eaucharist is a superstition but the Eaucharist itself is a memorial of the death of Jesus and a reminder of its meaning.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Then you're superstitious.

I believe he means that he uses illusion to make things appear to be what they are not. The magiican is not superstitios because he knows what is actually happening but the audience can be superstious if they think magic is actaully taking place.