• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you superstitious?

Are you superstitious?

• Total voters

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
No gods, no supernatural stuff, no fear of black cats.
Makes me remember when I worked at a Rallys (or Checkers, depending on where you are) and this manager from another town was called in. I was sweeping the floor, and she jumped back when the broom got around her feet. She said they believe at her store if your feet are swept by a broom, you will go to jail. Just as I was about to comment that, "yeah, people sure do believe some stupid ****," she said "I don't know if it's true or not but I can't afford to go to jail." :facepalm:

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Old superstitions are cultural relics, so are many religious traditions. I give presents at Christmas even though I am not religious, and I love many old superstitions even though I do not believe in them.

I still sprinkle salt on the floor, not because I really think it keeps away evil spirits - but because it pleases me, it reminds me of my grandmother.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Why doesn't blessing yourself with holy water qualify as a superstition?
@George-ananda posted the definition earlier:

Full Definition of SUPERSTITION
1 a: a belief or practice resulting from ignorance, fear of the unknown, trust in magic or chance, or a false conception of causation

b: an irrational abject attitude of mind toward the supernatural, nature, or God resulting from superstition

2: a notion maintained despite evidence to the contrary

I don't see how blessing yourself with holy water fits the definition. I don't recognize it as "irrational" or based on "fear of the unknown", "trust in magic or chance", or a "false conception of causation".

Gambit

I don't see how blessing yourself with holy water fits the definition. I don't recognize it as "irrational" or based on "fear of the unknown", "trust in magic or chance", or a "false conception of causation".

Blessing yourself with holy water sounds like a magical ritual to me.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Do you believe that practice will yield some kind of result?
No because the results are always there, its not something that you must achieve, because you are already that, there is nothing to make you more than what you already are, you are already all there is.