• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you sure you are an Atheist?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I challenge both of you to pick out an error in the Qur´an. If you do, i will accept your beliefs and convert.
no don't do that.....we are not here to convert others to faith
(I think there's a rule about proselytizing)

Jabar

“Strive always to excel in virtue and truth.”
no don't do that.....we are not here to convert others to faith
(I think there's a rule about proselytizing)
Yes, but it will be my choice. I can choose to convert if i want, which is why i am challenging.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Yes, but it will be my choice. I can choose to convert if i want, which is why i am challenging.
how about.....

the devil knows the Quran....the old testament....the new testament....
he knows Moses, Jesus and Muhammad.....

he knows Einstein and Newton.....Shakespeare and other poets....

but for all the devil may know.....

he no longer knows the presence of God

~~~
Just a friendly question to all Atheists:

Is your belief of God’s non-existence based entirely on how God is perceived by all Monotheistic religions (Christianity, Islam, Judaism) and Polytheistic religions (Hinduism, Old religions etc),

or,

it also covers the Pantheistic philosophies of the One, such as Tao, Zen, Pythagorians/Empedoclians, some Gnostic movements, etc?

Thanks for your responces :)

~~~

After losing faith in Christianity I have not heard a God Concept of any kind that is convincing or plausible to me.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
I was curious.....
When a Muslim dies as a martyr,
how many virgins are waiting for one in heaven ?
Are there female martyrs, do they also go boom ?
~
An aside:
How did these thousands and thousands of virgins get there ?
~
I think there's a few errors there ! :cool:
~
'mud

Marsh

I challenge both of you to pick out an error in the Qur´an. If you do, i will accept your beliefs and convert.
I have a passage in mind, but I doubt you will loose your faith immediately. When I discovered my first discrepancy in the Old Testament, after being taught it was the word of God, it only resulted in raising doubt. It took another six years of reading critical sources before I realized I had stopped believing. You don't lose faith over night. It doesn't happen like that. Another excellent book is one by Ayaan Hersi Ali, titled Heretic: Why Islam Needs a Reformation. She is now an atheist, with death threats on her head, but she was once a member of the Muslim Brotherhood.

Last edited:

Marsh

How did these thousands and thousands of virgins get there ?
~
I think there's a few errors there ! :cool:
~
'mud
My understanding it that the promised 72 virgins were created in Heaven for the purpose of being providers of sexual pleasure. When you are done with one she magically regains her virginity (not sure about this last point, but I think it is correct). I don't believe they are actually human. Muslim women in Heaven are not provided with multiple sexual partners. That's interesting, isn't it. They only have access to their former husband on Earth. You can see that Islam is all about power and sex, for the men; there is very little for women in this religion.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
That is not really how religion is supposed to work. Not if it is to mean anything.

The Qur'an is plenty full of errors, not least among them its insistence on the importance of belief in God (and don't get me started into how unfair and mistaken it is about atheism).

But religion is not supposed to be about "betting on the true way". Religious truth is a deeply personal thing and will change from one person to another. And it should, because some people and some cultures need to nurture tendencies that are poisonous to others.

Marsh

Nefelie said:
Just a friendly question to all Atheists:

Is your belief of God’s non-existence based entirely on how God is perceived by all Monotheistic religions (Christianity, Islam, Judaism)...
I was taught in Sunday school, and in public school, that the Bible was the word of God. Then at age ten I discovered my first discrepancy. It threw the edifice of my faith into doubt, but it took six more years of studying the problem before I suddenly realized one evening (while watching a religious program on TV) that I no longer believed. Prior to this awakening I'd gone back and forth between belief and serious doubt, but not till this moment did I realize my belief in God had completely fallen away.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Which error? I do not see that as a error, but a misconceiving belief.
Since you are unwilling or unable to have an honest discussion on the topic, I shall leave you to wallow in your denial.

Have a nice day.

Jabar

That is not really how religion is supposed to work. Not if it is to mean anything.

The Qur'an is plenty full of errors, not least among them its insistence on the importance of belief in God (and don't get me started into how unfair and mistaken it is about atheism).

But religion is not supposed to be about "betting on the true way". Religious truth is a deeply personal thing and will change from one person to another. And it should, because some people and some cultures need to nurture tendencies that are poisonous to others.
There is one thing to make a claim as it could be either false or true and another to give evidence and reasons behind why.
Challenging people to give me one error in the Qur'anic scripture proves the existence of God and not just error but complexity and literature of the Qur'an.

Which is why Allah challenges anyone to produce a work similar to the Qur'an and everyone has failed obviously.

“Say: ‘If all mankind and the jinn would come together to produce the like of this Quran, they could not produce its like even though they exerted all and their strength in aiding one another.’” (Quran 17:88)

“Or do they say that he has invented it? Say (to them), ‘Bring ten invented chapters like it, and call (for help) on whomever you can besides God, if you are truthful.” (Quran 11:13)

“And if you all are in doubt about what I have revealed to My servant, bring a single chapter like it, and call your witnesses besides God if you are truthful.” (Quran 2:23)

Jabar

I have a passage in mind, but I doubt you will loose your faith immediately. When I discovered my first discrepancy in the Old Testament, after being taught it was the word of God, it only resulted in raising doubt. It took another six years of reading critical sources before I realized I had stopped believing. You don't lose faith over night. It doesn't happen like that. Another excellent book is one by Ayaan Hersi Ali, titled Heretic: Why Islam Needs a Reformation. She is now an atheist, with death threats on her head, but she was once a member of the Muslim Brotherhood.
You are giving examples of ignorant people who have lived in societies which called themselves ´´Muslims´´ but not do the things Islam allow.

I think you have not read the Qur´an. I may be wrong however your words do not reflect it. The Bible contains many contradictions and is not divine. Comparing a undivine book to a divine book, the Qur´an, is not a good thing to do.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Challenging people to give me one error in the Qur'anic scripture proves the existence of God and not just error but complexity and literature of the Qur'an.
Proves it to you maybe.
But then, not everyone has their standard for evidence as low as yours.
Hells Bells, YOU do not even have your standard of evidence that low when it comes to errors in your precious Koran.

Which is why Allah challenges anyone to produce a work similar to the Qur'an and everyone has failed obviously.

“Say: ‘If all mankind and the jinn would come together to produce the like of this Quran, they could not produce its like even though they exerted all and their strength in aiding one another.’” (Quran 17:88)

“Or do they say that he has invented it? Say (to them), ‘Bring ten invented chapters like it, and call (for help) on whomever you can besides God, if you are truthful.” (Quran 11:13)

“And if you all are in doubt about what I have revealed to My servant, bring a single chapter like it, and call your witnesses besides God if you are truthful.” (Quran 2:23)
This is nothing more than an empty Kent Hovind Challenge.
It only serves to reveal the bias, prejudice, and confirmation bias of the challenger.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
You are giving examples of ignorant people who have lived in societies which called themselves ´´Muslims´´ but not do the things Islam allow.

I think you have not read the Qur´an. I may be wrong however your words do not reflect it. The Bible contains many contradictions and is not divine. Comparing a undivine book to a divine book, the Qur´an, is not a good thing to do.
nothing but bold empty claims based on faulty premises.

Jabar

Proves it to you maybe.
But then, not everyone has their standard for evidence as low as yours.
Hells Bells, YOU do not even have your standard of evidence that low when it comes to errors in your precious Koran.

This is nothing more than an empty Kent Hovind Challenge.
It only serves to reveal the bias, prejudice, and confirmation bias of the challenger.
Your own beliefs cause you to act ignorant and arrogant...
You regard the things i state as though they are absolute false superstitions but give no evidential information to back them up, this is because of the fact that you just believe in that claim.

You still have not given me one error in the Qur´an. Call it Kevin Hovind Challenge, or whatever you want. You are merely stating your beliefs, so in turn you are not proving anything.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
There is one thing to make a claim as it could be either false or true and another to give evidence and reasons behind why.

Frankly, I think even pointing out that there are whole sites with those mistakes out there is taking the Qur'an far too seriously. That would be true even if such sites were not automatically (and unfairly) branded "hate sites".

How come so many people think of supposed revelations from God as something worth listening to?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Your own beliefs cause you to act ignorant and arrogant...
It is not me who is acting ignorant or arrogant.
That would be you.

You regard the things i state as though they are absolute false superstitions but give no evidential information to back them up, this is because of the fact that you just believe in that claim.
I regard your bold empty claims as bold empty claims.
That you offer nothing up nothing but bold empty claims is on you, not me, not anyone else.

You still have not given me one error in the Qur´an.
you have been given numerous errors.
You simply dismiss them.
And you have audacity to claim those who call your bold empty claims bold empty claims as the ones being arrogant?

Call it Kevin Hovind Challenge, or whatever you want. You are merely stating your beliefs, so in turn you are not proving anything.
It is not on me to prove your claims wrong.
It is on you to support your claims.
It not any fault of mine that you think your circular reasoning is convincing outside the choir.

Jabar

Frankly, I think even pointing out that there are whole sites with those mistakes out there is taking the Qur'an far too seriously. That would be true even if such sites were not automatically (and unfairly) branded "hate sites".

How come so many people think of supposed revelations from God as something worth listening to?
The mistakes are indeed misconceptions made by society.
Most of them are hate sites, yes.
Because it is a revelation of God, God is All-Mighty, All-Wise, God is the greatest you can think of. At least in my beliefs, if not the billions of people. May i ask, How come so many people think science, the one that is tampered with and regarded as a superiority to the Qur'an worth something listening to?

Jabar

It is not me who is acting ignorant or arrogant.
That would be you.

I regard your bold empty claims as bold empty claims.
That you offer nothing up nothing but bold empty claims is on you, not me, not anyone else.

you have been given numerous errors.
You simply dismiss them.
And you have audacity to claim those who call your bold empty claims bold empty claims as the ones being arrogant?

It is not on me to prove your claims wrong.
It is on you to support your claims.
It not any fault of mine that you think your circular reasoning is convincing outside the choir.
Okay, so i guess i must provide all the information. This shows a weakness in your ability to provide evidential information. I have told you the evidence that the Qur'an says universe is expanding but you interpret it incorrectly and make misconceptions on it. It is probably either because of your ignorance or the exposure given to you is on an extreme level.

As the Qur´an contains a taste of your own medicine (science) evidences to prove its divinity. Let me give you a verse that is approved of modern science:

And it is We Who have constructed the heaven with might, and verily, it is We Who are steadily expanding it. (Qur'an, 51:47)

The discovery of the universe expanding has been found in modern times. In 1929, Edwin Hubble, an astronomer at Caltech, made a critical discovery that soon led to scientific answers for these questions: he discovered that the universe is expanding.

In 1929. The Qur'an was revealed 1400 years ago. Lets do some math :) Basically, 2016-1400= 616. So, in the year 616, the Qur'an had this information. This shows divinity.

Now, lets subtract the year it was discovered and the year Qur'an was revealed. 1,929-616= 1,313.

This is a 1,313 years difference. The Qur'an made a discovery that was found in 1929, 1,313 years back in the past. Now tell how this could be possible. There were no telescopes or any way that you could find this out.

This is one ounce of the many evidences i can provide.

Koldo

Outstanding Member

What do you mean by 'similar' ?
Similar in what way(s)?