• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask Madhuri a Question about Hinduism

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
You must understand that the Hindu Scriptures are an immense body of literature.
I could never have enough time to study all the scriptures that are available to me. I find the parts that move my heart the most. Those scriptures I find the most inspiring. For those scriptures I have total trust. Because I find them to be true.

Why Vedas have to be necessarily an immense body of literature? Wouldn't it have been better if they were concise?

Wannabe Yogi

I appreciate your views but at times in the history we find Hinduism had been intolerant, in my opinion.

Ancient Hinduism was extremely tolerant. Some modern Hindu's have picked up some bad habits since the foreign invasion of the Indian Subcontinent. Still when you compare Hinduism to other faiths it becomes clear that it is one of our strong suits.

Wannabe Yogi

My trust in scriptures are built on a very practical foundation. To the Hindu, scripture is like a map. As I follow this map I become a better person. My teachers and now some of my long time peers have become amazing people. This gives me a very concrete trust in my scriptures.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
My trust in scriptures are built on a very practical foundation. To the Hindu, scripture is like a map. As I follow this map I become a better person. My teachers and now some of my long time peers have become amazing people. This gives me a very concrete trust in my scriptures.

I don't object to that.

Wannabe Yogi

Yes, Ashoka the Great attacked the state of Kalinga, with much bloodshed. This war is said to have made Ashoka a Buddhist. I never said that Indian kings did not engage in wars, they did. Still even in this, India there was real rules followed, not always but much of the time.

"Whereas among other nations it is usual, in the contests of war, to ravage the soil and thus to reduce it to an uncultivated waste, among the Indians, on the contrary, by whom husbandmen are regarded as a class that is sacred and inviolable, the tillers of the soil, even when battle is raging in their neighborhood, are undisturbed by any sense of danger, for the combatants on either side in waging the conflict make carnage of each other, but allow those engaged in husbandry to remain quite unmolested."
- 4th century B.C. (the greek) Megasthenes

Chinese Buddhist pilgrim Hiuen Tsiang said that there were and wars in the 7th century A.D. but the farmers might be seen quietly pursuing their work, while wars go on all around -" perhaps ploughing, gathering for crops, pruning the trees, or reaping the harvest."

Still this has nothing to do with Hindu tolerance only rules of war.

Last edited:

Wannabe Yogi

The one's that you don't pick and like; can you mention them for us? Please

There is only one verse (out of over 100,000) at the end of the Bṛhadaraṇyaka Upanishad. Verse's all around it is missing. It is about hitting your wife in the head with a rock. I don't understand it. And there are no old commentaries about it. I just don't get it. Why are you asking me about what I don't like not what I do like ?

Last edited:

Me Myself

Back to my username
Yu doing sometng for Maha Shivaratri?

Which is your favorito hindu festivity aand why, and what do you do in such time?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Yes, Ashoka the Great attacked the state of Kalinga, with much bloodshed. This war is said to have made Ashoka a Buddhist. I never said that Indian kings did not engage in wars, they did. Still even in this, India there was real rules followed, not always but much of the time.

"Whereas among other nations it is usual, in the contests of war, to ravage the soil and thus to reduce it to an uncultivated waste, among the Indians, on the contrary, by whom husbandmen are regarded as a class that is sacred and inviolable, the tillers of the soil, even when battle is raging in their neighborhood, are undisturbed by any sense of danger, for the combatants on either side in waging the conflict make carnage of each other, but allow those engaged in husbandry to remain quite unmolested." - 4th century B.C. (the greek) Megasthenes

Chinese Buddhist pilgrim Hiuen Tsiang said that there were and wars in the 7th century A.D. but the farmers might be seen quietly pursuing their work, while wars go on all around -" perhaps ploughing, gathering for crops, pruning the trees, or reaping the harvest."

Still this has nothing to do with Hindu tolerance only rules of war.

And I see Krishna engaged in war with his uncles; and he exhorts Arjuna to fight; so war is sacred; isn't it?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
There is only one verse (out of over 100,000) at the end of the Bṛhadaraṇyaka Upanishad. Verse's all around it is missing. It is about hitting your wife in the head with a rock. I don't understand it. And there are no old commentaries about it. I just don't get it. Why are you asking me about what I don't like not what I do like ?

As our friend Vinayaka wrote in post #257 “So the authority (of Vedas) comes from God, and Hindus trust that authority.” .

If the Vedas are from God, and I should appreciate if they are; then we cannot dislike anything in them; else there should be a rational method defind in Vedas from God to see the correct from the incorrect. Please don't mind.

atanu

Premium Member

Which is your favorito hindu festivity aand why, and what do you do in such time?

Shivaratri is. Not exactly a festivity but an auspicious time to begin with a clean slate (a pure mind). The auspiciousness of time is signified by the configuration of moon and sun being together and some other significations.

I will fast. Visit a Shiva temple. And try to meditate and keep vigil throughout the night. It is said that meditation on this day/night is most valuable.

atanu

Premium Member

Shivaratri is. Not exactly a festivity but an auspicious time to begin with a clean slate (a pure mind). The auspiciousness of time is signified by the configuration of moon and sun being together and some other significations.

I will fast. Visit a Shiva temple. And try to meditate and keep vigil throughout the night. It is said that meditation on this day/night is most valuable.

And also spend time reading about Shiva.:)

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
And I see Krishna engaged in war with his uncles; and he exhorts Arjuna to fight; so war is sacred; isn't it?

Wow, absolutely not.

Krishna said he would not engage in fighting, but because of his close friendship with Arjuna he agreed to be his chariot driver.

Krishna never said war is good. He said the most important thing you can do in life is follow your duty. Arjuna and his brothers were the rightful heirs to the throne of India. Their cousins tried to murder them, tried to banish them and forced them into war. When Arjuna wanted to abandon the war, Krishna is telling him if he does this and allows the corrupt cousins to take over India, the whole nation will fall into corruption. It is important for Arjuna to do his duty and fight for the good of his people and his land.

This is a very different to saying war is sacred. In almost any other situation, Hinduism is against violence.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
As our friend Vinayaka wrote in post #257 “So the authority (of Vedas) comes from God, and Hindus trust that authority.” .

If the Vedas are from God, and I should appreciate if they are; then we cannot dislike anything in them; else there should be a rational method defind in Vedas from God to see the correct from the incorrect. Please don't mind.

It is usually not that a verse is disliked but that it is not easy to understand without a qualified teacher. The Vedas are very complicated and full of layered meanings. Simply from reading verses the first time one cannot really understand those meanings. It takes dedicated time and effort but the reward of understanding is truly worth it.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Why Vedas have to be necessarily an immense body of literature? Wouldn't it have been better if they were concise?

Because truth and reality is not simple. You can't explain reality in one book. You can't even explain it in 1000 books. There is no limit really, because God's power and nature is infinite.

Hinduism is a religion for people who want to have a greater understanding of the rich meanings of life and a deeper understanding of the Divine. Some people do not want or need to delve that deeply, especially in this Age. And so teachers have come and provided more simple approaches to religion.

Hence many scriptures vs few scriptures (complex and deep vs simple, concise and basic).

This is also why you won't hear Hindus saying as often as Christians (for example) that 'God works in mysterious ways'. People say this because their scriptures are so limited as to not provide many answers. Hinduism is vast enough to provide for almost any question. I personally prefer this complexity and vastness.

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Wow, absolutely not.

Krishna said he would not engage in fighting, but because of his close friendship with Arjuna he agreed to be his chariot driver.

Krishna never said war is good. He said the most important thing you can do in life is follow your duty. Arjuna and his brothers were the rightful heirs to the throne of India. Their cousins tried to murder them, tried to banish them and forced them into war. When Arjuna wanted to abandon the war, Krishna is telling him if he does this and allows the corrupt cousins to take over India, the whole nation will fall into corruption. It is important for Arjuna to do his duty and fight for the good of his people and his land.

This is a very different to saying war is sacred. In almost any other situation, Hinduism is against violence.

I appreciate your reply.