• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask Madhuri a Question about Hinduism

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Why are hindus mostly vegetarian? Is it bad karma to eat animals?

Hi, and good question.
Firstly though, most Hindus are not vegetarian these days. I think with global influence the younger generations are more inclined to eat meat (at least from what I've seen in my country).

Hindus are vegetarian for a few reasons. One reason is that we believe animals are souls just like us and that they are conscious and have a high capacity to suffer, also like us (though the capacity varies from species to species). Therefore to cause suffering to an animal will indeed bring us karma meaning that we will have to one day incur the same suffering that we are responsible for causing.

Compassion and sympathy is not necessarily a religious reason but many Hindus (and important Hindu figures/gods) express love and care for animals and care about their welfare (especially cows who are seen as a symbol of the Mother).

Another reason is that everything in existence is embodied by a mode of nature. To explain this simplistically, the modes are: 'goodness', 'passion' and 'ignorance'. What we eat influences both our body and mind. Meat is considered to be in the mode of passion. It has always been considered suitable in Hinduism for those who live a life of passion- such as soldiers and kings. But for those who pursue a life of spirituality and peace, a vegetarian diet is most suitable. This is why the Brahmins (priest caste) have generally been vegetarian.

There are also arguments, although not exactly stated in scripture (as far as I know) that because consciousness is in all things and because everything we associate with or touch or but into our bodies directly affects us, we must also be affected by the consciousness of the creature that we are eating. When animals are killed, especially today with the practices of the meat industry, the animal suffers a lot and is filled with both pain and fear at the time of death. When we eat the flesh, we are putting that negativity into our own bodies.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Whenever I think Hindu it is not possible not to think sex too. So I looked it up. Hindu's have high moral standards about sex it seems.

There are many Hindu gods. Are there any Hindu gods that are said to have sex with human kind?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Whenever I think Hindu it is not possible not to think sex too. So I looked it up. Hindu's have high moral standards about sex it seems.

There are many Hindu gods. Are there any Hindu gods that are said to have sex with human kind?

Yes there are but the gods that have done this are not God. Because there is a difference between God (1 who manifests in various forms such as Vishnu/Shiva) and gods (millions of these guys).

The first example that comes to mind is when Kunti used a mantra that could summon a god to impregnate her. Her sons Arjuna, Bhima and Yudhisthira who are some of the main characters of the Mahabharata were demigods.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Would you say that traditional Hinduism is different from modern Hinduism?

Also, welcome back! (if you were ever gone but I haven't seen a post from you in a while)

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member

Also, welcome back! (if you were ever gone but I haven't seen a post from you in a while)

Thanks! Yes, I've been away for ages. I have a few days free before works starts again.

Your question is a difficult one because I have to ask, what is traditional Hinduism? Hinduism is an umbrella term for a very large variety of beliefs and traditions and these change over the course of time. But the mainstream Hinduism of today is still very traditional. What the modern era has done is expose Hindu beliefs to other cultures. The way that Hinduism is practiced and expressed in places outside of India and by non-Indians can be very different to the mainstream form of Hinduism.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Whether traditional or modern, one thing never changes, that is 'dharma' (fulfillment of one's duties and righteous action). What was true in times of Rama and Krishna, is true even today. The rest is not really important.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Whether traditional or modern, one thing never changes, that is 'dharma' (fulfillment of one's duties and righteous action). What was true in times of Rama and Krishna, is true even today. The rest is not really important.

Yep, I wholeheartedly agree with this post. Well said.

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
Welcome back :namaste
What is the purpose of human life according to you excluding mokesh?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Her sons Arjuna, Bhima and Yudhisthira who are some of the main characters of the Mahabharata were demigods.
No, Madhuri, they were very much human. They were sure related to God, (brothers in relation. Their mother, Kunti, was the sister of Vasudeva, Lord Krishna's father in that avatara). They did not reach heaven with their bodies which perished on Satopanth Glacier near Badrinath. Only Yudhisthira succeeded. Swargarohini Peak (Way to heaven):

satopanth-trek-itinerary-cover.jpg

Last edited:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
No, Madhuri, they were very much human. They were sure related to God, (brothers in relation. Their mother, Kunti, was the sister of Vasudeva, father of Krishna). They did not reach heaven with their bodies which perished on Satopanth Glacier near Badrinath. Only Yudhisthira succeeded. Swargarohini Peak (Way to heaven):

satopanth-trek-itinerary-cover.jpg

Demigod means half-god, like Hercules. They are flesh and blood but not quite as ordinary as human beings (such as Bhima's incredible strength). I do not mean demi-god the way that Prabhupada used the term to mean actual god.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Welcome back :namaste
What is the purpose of human life according to you excluding mokesh?

Thank you for the welcome! :)

I do not think that there is a purpose unrelated to reaching moksha tbh (is that what you meant? I'm not sure what mokesh is). Whether we say that it is to become a better person or to gain knowledge or to make the world a better place or to be a good person etc etc it's all part of the process that leads to moksha.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Whenever I think Hindu it is not possible not to think sex too. .. Hindu's have high moral standards about sex it seems.

Are there any Hindu gods that are said to have sex with human kind?
That sort of surprises me. Hindus have just as high morals as anybody else. Are we not humans? :) But yes, Hinduism expects much more from us.

Lord Parashurama was married to Dharini. Lord Buddha was married to Yashodhara. As far as I know, they are not known as Goddesses.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Welcome back, Madhuri. I've always felt you gave such reasoned and sensible answers, not only reflecting Hindus in general, but also your personal perspective when asked.

I always hesitate to answer in here, because the thread title is 'Ask Madhuri' not 'Ask Vinayaka' . I suppose if I really wanted to, I could start a thread as well, but I've never felt the need or desire to. So what exactly is your take on this? How is this thread different from any 'general question' thread for Hindus, if we can all just answer here?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Welcome back, Madhuri. I've always felt you gave such reasoned and sensible answers, not only reflecting Hindus in general, but also your personal perspective when asked.

I always hesitate to answer in here, because the thread title is 'Ask Madhuri' not 'Ask Vinayaka' . I suppose if I really wanted to, I could start a thread as well, but I've never felt the need or desire to. So what exactly is your take on this? How is this thread different from any 'general question' thread for Hindus, if we can all just answer here?

Thank you! I miss this place but get very little time these days to spend here.

As to your question, I do not mind that others offer an answer but as long as the thread isn't taken over. Taken over would be if others answer before I get a chance and then answer new question all in my absence or if debates start and the thread becomes derailed.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Madhuri, are you going to marry a Hindu in the future (assuming you aren't married already)? If not, are you still going to have a Hindu wedding?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
मैत्रावरुणिः;3615564 said:
Madhuri, are you going to marry a Hindu in the future (assuming you aren't married already)? If not, are you still going to have a Hindu wedding?

My preference is to marry a Hindu and have a Hindu wedding but I don't know what will happen. I'm open to marrying someone who is not Hindu so long as they share certain moral attitudes as me and are respectful of my beliefs.