• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask Madhuri a Question about Hinduism

Pastek

Sunni muslim
Is there anything you are confused about, think is weird, are unsure of or are just plain curious about Hinduism? How do Hindu concepts compare with the other main world religions?

I find that people are generally clueless about Hinduism.

Most importantly, I'm bored. So please ask me questions about Hinduism. It may even challenge me! :D

Hi, i didn't read the thread yet. But can you give me a link about your Books ?
(french will be apprecied :D)

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Hi, i didn't read the thread yet. But can you give me a link about your Books ?
(french will be apprecied :D)

Hi Pastek!
Just to clarify, do you mean about the Hindu scriptures?

I'm not sure what site to recommend in French but our main scriptures are called The Vedas. You can do a search on that. Is there anything specific you want to know about them?

Pastek

Sunni muslim
Hi Pastek!
Just to clarify, do you mean about the Hindu scriptures?

I'm not sure what site to recommend in French but our main scriptures are called The Vedas. You can do a search on that. Is there anything specific you want to know about them?

I wanted to read your Books.
I know nothing about Hinduism, so i don't know were to start.

There's nothing in french online (about the Vedas). Maybe in english if you have a good link ?

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Vanakkam,

There's nothing in french online (about the Vedas). Maybe in english if you have a good link ?

I haven't found the Vedas in French, and I would doubt the quality of the translation :/
However there is a very, very good translation in French of complete Ramayâna (Baghavad Gita included) and MahaBharata if you want.

It's not the same as the Veda at all but it is sure a good start :) If you are interested I can give you more info about this (you can easily found it if there is a FNAC or another library around you)

(Sorry Madhuri for parasiting your tread ^^" I shall leave now)

Aum Namah Shivaya

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member

There are soooo many scriptures. I hardly know which one to recommend first. The study of Hinduism can take a long time as it is very complex. However, I recommend reading a brief summary of Hinduism here:

Basics of Hinduism

http://www.himalayanacademy.com/readlearn/basics/four-facts

The site also provides additional information if you wish to explore.

Last edited:

Pastek

Sunni muslim
Vanakkam,

I haven't found the Vedas in French, and I would doubt the quality of the translation :/
However there is a very, very good translation in French of complete Ramayâna (Baghavad Gita included) and MahaBharata if you want.

What is it ? :eek:

That's a big book ?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
What is it ? :eek:

That's a big book ?

They are very big books. They are important histories documenting spiritual persons, including God incarnations on Earth. They are not our main scriptures but they are very interesting to read as they are written like stories.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Sorry!!
I didn't do anything for Shivaratri. I grew up in Vaishnavism and don't know much about the traditions of Shaivism or Shaktism. I'm only now starting to learn more.

I'm not sure what my favourite festival is. Probably Janmashtami, Krishna's appearance day. And the reason is specifically because of my connection with Krishna, who I view as God and love itself. On Janmashtami, worship begins at dawn and ends at midnight. Here is a description of the worship:

"Where Vaishnava temples exist, festivities begin before dawn and extend all day until midnight, the exact moment of the anniversary of Krishna’s appearance. Events include kirtan, singing the Lord’s name along with other devotees; and japa, private, more intimate prayer. Some devotees cook a feast of over one hundred dishes, while others perform drama and dance. Some clothe and decorate the deity of Krishna while others string enormous flower garlands and other decorations for the temple. Incense burns, scriptures are read, and all but the young and the infirm fast all day. The deities are also bathed with a variety of auspicious liquids in a kind of ablution
ceremony called abhisheka. Sometimes taking over two hours, this is performed with great pomp.

Finally, at midnight, priests pull apart the curtains to reveal the
freshly dressed deity of Krishna on a creatively festooned and colored
altar. The excitement builds, and a rousing kirtan ensues."

How to Celebrate Janmashtami | Krishna.com

Me Myself

Back to my username
Sorry!!
I didn't do anything for Shivaratri. I grew up in Vaishnavism and don't know much about the traditions of Shaivism or Shaktism. I'm only now starting to learn more.

I'm not sure what my favourite festival is. Probably Janmashtami, Krishna's appearance day. And the reason is specifically because of my connection with Krishna, who I view as God and love itself. On Janmashtami, worship begins at dawn and ends at midnight. Here is a description of the worship:

"Where Vaishnava temples exist, festivities begin before dawn and extend all day until midnight, the exact moment of the anniversary of Krishna’s appearance. Events include kirtan, singing the Lord’s name along with other devotees; and japa, private, more intimate prayer. Some devotees cook a feast of over one hundred dishes, while others perform drama and dance. Some clothe and decorate the deity of Krishna while others string enormous flower garlands and other decorations for the temple. Incense burns, scriptures are read, and all but the young and the infirm fast all day. The deities are also bathed with a variety of auspicious liquids in a kind of ablution
ceremony called abhisheka. Sometimes taking over two hours, this is performed with great pomp.

Finally, at midnight, priests pull apart the curtains to reveal the
freshly dressed deity of Krishna on a creatively festooned and colored
altar. The excitement builds, and a rousing kirtan ensues."

How to Celebrate Janmashtami | Krishna.com

Thanks, though I asked you how YOU worshipped :D

What of that do you do? Do you do anytng aside from that?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Yu always go to temple? If ou dont, do you do something secial, different in that day?

I don't always go to temple, especially in the last few years. What I do at home is much less, though not different. It may just be some prayers and reading. I want to try and go to the temple more often now that I live closer to them.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Namaste

Which flowers make the best garlands? And what about food, do you eat a lot of "Indian" food like me? What tastes enter your mouth that feed your stomach but also your soul? What fills a room full of great aroma and smells like heaven? What sounds enter your ear and into your heart? What visions enter your eyes and light up your halo?

In other words, what is just another day in the life of a Hindu?

Om Namah Sivaya

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Namaste

Which flowers make the best garlands? And what about food, do you eat a lot of "Indian" food like me? What tastes enter your mouth that feed your stomach but also your soul? What fills a room full of great aroma and smells like heaven? What sounds enter your ear and into your heart? What visions enter your eyes and light up your halo?

In other words, what is just another day in the life of a Hindu?

Om Namah Sivaya

I think that flowers like roses, gardenia and marigolds make the best garlands, mostly because of their size and shape and also their amazing fragrance.

I do eat a lot of Indian food. Indian food is awesome. And for a vegetarian, both filling and nutritious.

I have a very weak sense of smell so I never bother much with fragrance in the house or my room. I don't burn incense (although my father does) because the smoke makes me sneeze. I prefer food smells. Food is good..... :drool:

I listen to a lot of music but the types that I find moving include of course certain spiritual music (Prem Joshua is a perfect example, along with bhajans) and then music composed of single instruments like piano or violin. There are some classical pieces that are very moving too.

Again for visions that attract me I would have to say food :D