• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask Madhuri a Question about Hinduism

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
My preference is to marry a Hindu and have a Hindu wedding but I don't know what will happen. I'm open to marrying someone who is not Hindu so long as they share certain moral attitudes as me and are respectful of my beliefs.

Aw. I wish the best for you; I really do. I, too, hope that you find a good and loving Hindu. :)

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
मैत्रावरुणिः;3615584 said:
Aw. I wish the best for you; I really do. I, too, hope that you find a good and loving Hindu. :)

Thank you :)

I don't know any Hindu girls who think wearing a bikini is modest. People who are willing to use intelligence can understand the principles and for those who ignore their intelligence, they will eventually learn their lesson (karma).

I know hundreds of hindu girls that wear bikinis and have no problem with it. Now if you ask me how conservative they are or what their values are, I can't tell you but they are hindu. Even in pham school, we had a group that had indian girls and we went to the beach a lot and it was never an issue and then went to their families home for religious celebration. You wear what you want. What does wearing a bikini have to do with intelligence? I hope no one believes that because it is one of the most dumbest things I ever heard.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I know hundreds of hindu girls that wear bikinis and have no problem with it. Now if you ask me how conservative they are or what their values are, I can't tell you but they are hindu. Even in pham school, we had a group that had indian girls and we went to the beach a lot and it was never an issue and then went to their families home for religious celebration. You wear what you want. What does wearing a bikini have to do with intelligence? I hope no one believes that because it is one of the most dumbest things I ever heard.

I wasn't linking the wearing of a bikini with intelligence. The mention of bikini was answering one part of his post and the mention of intelligence was to reference the principles.

I wasn't linking the wearing of a bikini with intelligence. The mention of bikini was answering one part of his post and the mention of intelligence was to reference the principles.

Oh Okay. Thank for clearing that up. There are people in this world who believe that. Hinduism in no shape or form allowed to speak about modesty where in India their are a billion people. People are having intercourse every minute there putting the population in crisis. Only in recent history is india considered more conservative or modest and that is mainly due to the british. We are talking about a country were kama sutra was invented. I was reading the book Sex and the Family in Colonial India: The Making of Empire, and Erotic Sculpture of india and the nude hindu goddess are apparently extremely prevalent. Actually, I think I might have one in the basement.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh Okay. Thank for clearing that up. There are people in this world who believe that. Hinduism in no shape or form allowed to speak about modesty where in India their are a billion people. People are having intercourse every minute there putting the population in crisis. Only in recent history is india considered more conservative or modest and that is mainly due to the british. We are talking about a country were kama sutra was invented. I was reading the book Sex and the Family in Colonial India: The Making of Empire, and Erotic Sculpture of india and the nude hindu goddess are apparently extremely prevalent. Actually, I think I might have one in the basement.

Hinduism does actually preach modesty and things like the Kama Sutra are not religious texts. Most of the billion people that exist were born within a marriage, not from illicit sex. While India has at times been more conservative than Hinduism recommends, the religion does encourage chastity in public and the limitation of sex within marriage.

Hinduism does actually preach modesty and things like the Kama Sutra are not religious texts. Most of the billion people that exist were born within a marriage, not from illicit sex. While India has at times been more conservative than Hinduism recommends, the religion does encourage chastity in public and the limitation of sex within marriage.

I though kama sutra is an ancient indian hindu text sanskrit literature written by Vātsyāyana?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I though kama sutra is an ancient indian hindu text sanskrit literature written by Vātsyāyana?

A Hindu wrote it but he was a philosopher, not a Guru or god. The Kama Sutra is not a scripture of Hinduism and does not represent Hindu beliefs.

A Hindu wrote it but he was a philosopher, not a Guru or god. The Kama Sutra is not a scripture of Hinduism and does not represent Hindu beliefs.

I think that is a bit subjective. Guru is where "experiential wisdom transmitted from teacher to student." Many people follow that book and many historical temples exists showing kama sutra acts. Kamadeva is the god of love and sex. Dozen or so of other sexual gods also exist in hindusm. Point is that wearing a bikini and being a hindu have nothing to do with each other. Displaying of body is not a new thing in hinduism..

Last edited:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I think that is a bit subjective. Guru is where "experiential wisdom transmitted from teacher to student." Many people follow that book and many historical temples exists showing kama sutra acts. Kamadeva is the god of love and sex. Dozen or so of other sexual gods also exist in hindusm. Point is that wearing a bikini and being a hindu have nothing to do with each other. Displaying of body is not a new thing in hinduism..

It's true, some people would look at him as a guru. But the Kama Sutra is still not a Hindu scripture. It is a book written by a Hindu philosopher and became very popular amongst Hindus during a particular time period in India.

I agree that wearing a bikini has nothing to do with being a Hindu.

It's true, some people would look at him as a guru. But the Kama Sutra is still not a Hindu scripture. It is a book written by a Hindu philosopher and became very popular amongst Hindus during a particular time period in India.

I agree that wearing a bikini has nothing to do with being a Hindu.

Cool beans. Maybe it's just the younger generation deviating from the religion. But even in Goa, there were so many older indian women with their mangal-sutras swimming in their swimsuits and bikinis.

Why does hinduism shy away from it's rich history in sexuality? Has the british ultimately minimized that part?

Is there anything you are confused about, think is weird, are unsure of or are just plain curious about Hinduism? How do Hindu concepts compare with the other main world religions?

I find that people are generally clueless about Hinduism.

Most importantly, I'm bored. So please ask me questions about Hinduism. It may even challenge me! :D

I would like to see your input on this thread: hindu milk miracle: BS or real?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Cool beans. Maybe it's just the younger generation deviating from the religion. But even in Goa, there were so many older indian women with their mangal-sutras swimming in their swimsuits and bikinis.

Why does hinduism shy away from it's rich history in sexuality? Has the british ultimately minimized that part?

I'm honestly not sure if it was the British only or even the Mughals.

Are you from India?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru

Yes, the younger generation is deviating from religion. They are missing on 'sheela' (etiquette). Aping the West, middle-aged ladies with protruding bellies cavorting near the shore-line since many of them would not know swimming, makes a poor scene. And then, Goa has a large percentage of Christians (some 30%).

No one is shying away from sexuality, but there is a time and place for it, the bedroom, after the day's work is done, and the children are asleep. Then the whole night is yours. I do not think, the British have made any dent in it (our population growth denies it).

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
This article says hindu gods tend to be gender-queer.

Madurai student pens book on gender variants - Times Of India
"Indian culture is abundant with legends and mythologies where heroes and heroines have chosen various genders." This is all that the article says. Yes, there are two examples in our mythology (as far as I know) 1. Mohini Avatara, and 2. Ardhanaeeshwara. I do not understand the genesis of Mohini Avatara, but 'Ardhanaeeshwara' is simple, like Purusha and Prakriti, Brahman and Shakti, Radha and Krishna, Rama and Seeta, therefore, Shiva and Parvati. One is considered incomplete without the other. But mythology is mythology, it is not history.

Yes, the younger generation is deviating from religion. They are missing on 'sheela' (etiquette). Aping the West, middle-aged ladies with protruding bellies cavorting near the shore-line since many of them would not know swimming, makes a poor scene. And then, Goa has a large percentage of Christians (some 30%).

No one is shying away from sexuality, but there is a time and place for it, the bedroom, after the day's work is done, and the children are asleep. Then the whole night is yours. I do not think, the British have made any dent in it (our population growth denies it).

Their are many hindu women who wear bikinis and that does not mean that they would make a poor scene. According to the census, Christians make up only 7 percent.

The bedroom is the most appropriate and comfortable place to have sex but not sexuality and hinduism has proved that countless times.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Many people follow that book and many historical temples exists showing kama sutra acts. Kamadeva is the god of love and sex. Dozen or so of other sexual gods also exist in hindusm. Point is that wearing a bikini and being a hindu have nothing to do with each other. Displaying of body is not a new thing in hinduism..
:) You are not new to India. You have come here three times. How many people do you think in cities and villages would have read Kama Sutra? And do you think it is necessary to study Kama Sutra otherwise you would not know what to do?There are no other Gods of sex in Hinduism. The dress in many parts of India would leave much of the body exposed, but it is not 'displaying of the body'. It is their normal attire. "Displaying of the body' is what Hinduism does not appreciate.