• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask Madhuri a Question about Hinduism

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I though kama sutra is an ancient indian hindu text sanskrit literature written by Vātsyāyana?
A Hindu wrote it but he was a philosopher, not a Guru or god. The Kama Sutra is not a scripture of Hinduism and does not represent Hindu beliefs.
Vatsayana was a learned person, and it would not surprise me if he had a few disciples. Of course, nobody considers him as a God. When I read his introduction to Kama Sutra in Wikipedia (I have not read Kama Sutra), I was duly impressed. Vatsayana is supposed to have lived sometime between 1st Century and the 6th.

"After reading and considering the works of Babhravya and other ancient authors, and thinking over the meaning of the rules given by them, this treatise was composed, according to the precepts of the Holy Writ, for the benefit of the world, by Vatsyayana, while leading the life of a religious student at Benares, and wholly engaged in the contemplation of the Deity. This work is not to be used merely as an instrument for satisfying our desires. A person acquainted with the true principles of this science, who preserves his Dharma (virtue or religious merit), his Artha (worldly wealth) and his Kama (pleasure or sensual gratification), and who has regard to the customs of the people, is sure to obtain the mastery over his senses. In short, an intelligent and knowing person attending to Dharma and Artha and also to Kama, without becoming the slave of his passions, will obtain success in everything that he may do."

:) You are not new to India. You have come here three times. How many people do you think in cities and villages would have read Kama Sutra? And do you think it is necessary to study Kama Sutra otherwise you would not know what to do?There are no other Gods of sex in Hinduism. The dress in many parts of India would leave much of the body exposed, but it is not 'displaying of the body'. It is their normal attire. "Displaying of the body' is what Hinduism does not appreciate.

You completely missed goddess rati. She is "associated with the arousal and delight of sexual activity, and many sex techniques and positions derive their Sanskrit names from hers." kali is not wearing any clothes most of time.

Many traditionalist don't care for displaying the body but will have a have naked god/goddess in their home. hinduism does not have an official position on clothing. A bikini is just swim wear and hinduism has no position on it, since you are comparing dress in india to swimwear.

Many people in india know about kama sutra and sexual subjects but they are taboo to speak about it in public. Trust me. Homosexuality is among the highest rates in the world, prostitution/aids, bollywood depicting sexuality for decades are just some sexuality topics examples of things that cities and villages have dealt with.

All varieties of sexual intercourse were tolerated by hinduism and tantra is a very important concept. It recognizes the pleasures inherent in sexuality and is exalted and praised. Temples that survived that were made before the british and muslim rulers portray sexually symbolic images and the gods themselves are sexual.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Well, Kamadeva and Rati are a couple. I did not think it necessary to mention her. The mention of Rama always carries in it the mention os Seeta. Kali appeared for a special purpose, otherwise her normal form is Durga.

No, hindu Gods and Goddesses are always dressed. Hinduism does have a position on 'indecent display'. Do you have any statistics about comparative percentages regarding homosexuality?

Sexual intercourse in Tantra is a later deformation. Earlier it was only a 'mudra' - position, to understand the emptiness of sex outside 'dharma'. Tantra is for abandonment of the 5 Ms, not for indulging in them. Sexual images outside temples leave the devotee more focused on the deity. That is why European painters added hideous faces in their paintings of good-looking people. It is juxtaposition of the two.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Chinnamasta is another. Interestingly enough, Rati is always on top of kama as well.
"She is considered both as a symbol of self-control on sexual desire as well as an embodiment of sexual energy, depending upon interpretation." Where from you got this information on Rati? We have a saying in India that whether the melon is at the top or the knife is at the top, it is the melon which always gets the cut. Kama Sutra positions.

No, hindu god and goddess are not always dressed. Majority of the time but not always. A simple image search proves you wrong. It is always necessary to name all because you stated there are no other gods or goddess of sexuality.

But I think we are deviating away from the original comment that was cleared by the OP and I but I will ask you: does wearing a bikini have anything to do with intelligence? Do you believe that hindu women are are not allowed to wear bikinis?

"She is considered both as a symbol of self-control on sexual desire as well as an embodiment of sexual energy, depending upon interpretation." Where from you got this information on Rati? We have a saying in India that whether the melon is at the top or the knife is at the top, it is the melon which always gets the cut. Kama Sutra positions.

God of Desire: Tales of Kamadeva in Sanskrit Story Literature. I am glad you support slicing the melon. There are many other ways to slice the melon. Read some kama sutra. I just ordered Tantric Visions of the Divine Feminine: The Ten Mahāvidyās that seems to discuss sexual gods and goddess.

Last edited:

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
Vatsayana was a learned person, and it would not surprise me if he had a few disciples. Of course, nobody considers him as a God. When I read his introduction to Kama Sutra in Wikipedia (I have not read Kama Sutra), I was duly impressed. Vatsayana is supposed to have lived sometime between 1st Century and the 6th.
You should read Kamasutra , it's totally against principles of dharma.

One college friend of mine last year said that Kaamasutra is a book that deals with 63 arts of life and only one chapter is related to relationship topics. So I started reading it, some of it's chapters were fine but other were worst, I didn't even completed it. It tells how to have sexual relationship with women one after another, how to attract wife of others and much more which I can't write here. Also some chapters of Kamasutra are opposite to each other. In one chapter Vatsyana says husband and wife should follow brahmacharya for first three nights and other chapter says a person should only seduce other women when he enjoyed first for considerable time, so what's the use of brahmacharya if you are involved in such activities. It also warns people not to seduce a woman if her husband went some other location which is near to house as this increase chances to be caught. This text is insult to woman and dharma.

Every book composed in Sanskrit in ancient times cannot be termed as religious. Kamasutra was composed at the time when Tantric path was highly practiced in India, a large part of Tantra itself deals with Bhoga. At the same times the Temple of Khujarao were built.

Last edited:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Thank you for that information Sumit. It certainly is against Dharma.

Can I please request from everyone not to turn this into a debate thread. It is very specifically and questions/answers thread.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I wouldn't say that there are many temples but the major cities all have numerous temples. I've been to south Indian temples, to Ganesh temples, Durga temples etc. but I have to say that Gaudiya Vaishnava temples are my favourite. It may just be because I grew up going to those ones, but they have absolutely beautiful deities and a devotional atmosphere. I find that lacking in many other temples, where people seem to go more to look around and leave.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I wouldn't say that there are many temples but the major cities all have numerous temples. I've been to south Indian temples, to Ganesh temples, Durga temples etc. but I have to say that Gaudiya Vaishnava temples are my favourite. It may just be because I grew up going to those ones, but they have absolutely beautiful deities and a devotional atmosphere. I find that lacking in many other temples, where people seem to go more to look around and leave.

Are you a born Hindu, or were your parents converts?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
No, hindu god and goddess are not always dressed. Majority of the time but not always. A simple image search proves you wrong. It is always necessary to name all because you stated there are no other gods or goddess of sexuality.

But I think we are deviating away from the original comment that was cleared by the OP and I but I will ask you: does wearing a bikini have anything to do with intelligence? Do you believe that hindu women are are not allowed to wear bikinis?
Well Mahadev baba is always dressed in elephant skin which leaves some part of the upper body exposed, but that is how he usually dresses (or we make him dress like that). As for the wives of Kamadeva, kindly note that one is Rati (engagement) and the other is Preeti (affection). So, they are more or less allegorical.

Of course, where to wear a bikini is important. It shows the intelligence of the woman or the couple. Wearing a bikini in Rio might be OK but in India, it is not very intelligent, unless the lady knows swimming. That is my view. As I said, as a Hindu, I would not appreciate 'display of body'.
There are many other ways to slice the melon. Read some kama sutra.
Well, it is a bit late in the day for me to read Kama Sutra. I am 71. The melons will always get sliced, that is the way of the world, otherwise it will come to a stop.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
You should read Kamasutra, it's totally against principles of dharma. One college friend of mine last year said ..

Every book composed in Sanskrit in ancient times cannot be termed as religious.
If it is so, then I am fortunate that I did not read it. Why should I read it now, being on the other side of 70? The days of my frolick are already over. I feel sorry, that one of my Kashmiri brotheren might have written it. He was a learned person, he could have written on Shaiva Siddhanta. Khajuraho was built much after Vatsayana (Between 950 and 1150).

Every book in Sanskrit is neither important nor religious. My thought goes to the books that try to explain making 'vimanas' of iron. That is boolsheet.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
What was your experience like growing up in ISKCON?

It was awesome and adventurous from the perspective of a child. I have no negative experienced with it. Even when we left ISKCON when I was 10 and joined the Gaudiya Math (another Gaudiya Vaishnava sect), all my experiences were wonderful.

It is only as an adult that I know about the politics and various dogmatic issues. But the religious and spiritual grounding from these sects will push me along a fair way in life I believe as it still has a positive influence over me to this day.

Parsimony

I apologize if this has already been asked before (seeing as how there are 36 pages), but does Hinduism have any kind of end-times prophecies like we see in Christianity? Does Hinduism teach that some great change will happen in the world at large some day? Will this world have an end or will it last forever?