• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask Madhuri a Question about Hinduism

GabrielWithoutWings

What I mean by that is, there is a method to follow and expected results (quite specific) that are actually achieved.

Can you elaborate?

Also, what is the nature of evil?

Do you find it difficult not being in the Indus Valley since Hinduism is intricately tied to that region?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Can you elaborate?

Certainly :)
I refer specifically to Yoga (meditation) techniques as taught in Hinduism (as opposed to Buddhism or other traditions). There are very specific instructions associated with meditation, and also various types of meditations. As a person progresses through the techniques, masters them and moves to deeper levels, he/she will have very specific experiences. These experiences can include 'hearing', 'seeing' and 'feeling'. Especially when focusing on techniques that open the chakras, a specific experience will come depending on which chakra you are intending to open.

My dad used to practice a particular type of meditation where he had many of these experiences and it was before he learned that those were the exact expected outcomes. I say this because one might argue that you would experience what you expect to experience. In dad's case, he experienced it without knowing that he was meant to.

Also, what is the nature of evil?

The concept of evil in Hinduism is very different to the Abrahamic religions. What is considered 'evil' is simply behaviour that arises from ignorance. There is no force of evil that opposes God, no corrupting agent trying to make us do bad things. In our state of ignorance, we act selfishly, not really understanding the implications of our actions, and these selfish actions lead to suffering in others and ultimately to ourselves as well. Through this suffering though, we learn and grow until we reach a state of spiritual perfection.

Everyone ends up in that state of spiritual perfection eventually, though it can take a great deal of lifetimes.

Do you find it difficult not being in the Indus Valley since Hinduism is intricately tied to that region?

I don't find it difficult growing up and living in Australia. The only difficulty is that there are not many others living here who share my beliefs so most of the people I associate with are from different beliefs and backgrounds. This makes it a little bit lonely sometimes but generally it isn't a big deal for me.

sumaidi

ashabul yamin
i have some questions.
1.how many god in hindu?
2. hindu just permit monogamy?
3. how is the best way to eat, walk, sit? i mean is there any rules? if yes, quote please the original from the scripture
3. is there any rule in clothe? what are for man or woman must be close ( may not seen by other)

thats for first, thanks

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
1.how many god in hindu?

Just one God.

2. hindu just permit monogamy?

There are no particular rules except that sex should only occur within marriage.

3. how is the best way to eat, walk, sit? i mean is there any rules? if yes, quote please the original from the scripture

As far as I know, rules for these every day things only apply to rituals or spiritual practices. For example, how to sit during meditation or how to eat so as to benefit digestion and health. Hinduism is more based on principles than on many rules. For example, one principle is to try to be clean both physically and mentally. So washing and bathing is greatly practiced by Hindus, as well as many other things that promote cleanliness.

3. is there any rule in clothe? what are for man or woman must be close ( may not seen by other)

Again, it is more about the principle. Like the Islamic 'modesty', Hindus have the principle of 'chastity'. So we are encouraged to dress and behave in a way that is similar to what may be considered modest for Muslims. Except that there is no particular form of clothing that we must or must not wear.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
-What is your favorite Upanishad?

-As someone who seems to have dvaita leanings as far as I'm aware based on things you've posted about what you believe moksha to be, what specifically do you believe a person must realize to "liberate" or reach moksha, in your worldview?

sumaidi

ashabul yamin
madhuri, i think you should see the thread " quran favor monogamy?"
[FONT=&quot]Satyamavejayanti ( a hindu) has different thinking with you. that he qoute :

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]I don't understand what you are saying, but i don't agree with polygamy.[/FONT]

I would say no, I only love one person, and to marry just for sexual pleasure is not marriage its lust.

marriage in my religion is the union of two souls, not of a penis and vagina.

reason for marriage should be Love.

in my religion marriage constitutes equality, and grants equality to both husband and wife.

marriage without equality, is a biased contract.

Marriage to one is better, no STD, no Stress, no ultra massive credit card bill.

is hindu permit polygyni or polyandri ?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
-What is your favorite Upanishad?

I don't have a favourite. But the Bhrihadaranyaka Upanishad is definitely somewhere at the top of the list.

-As someone who seems to have dvaita leanings as far as I'm aware based on things you've posted about what you believe moksha to be, what specifically do you believe a person must realize to "liberate" or reach moksha, in your worldview?

I'm neither Dvaita nor Advaita. I'm of the middle road- Dvaitadvaita :p This means there is simultaneous Oneness and Difference with God (part of but separate).

For moksha, we must realise that God is the very Self of our own being, that there is no separation and that the individual is simply a small representation of God, the Whole.

“Desiring that he should become many, that he should make of himself many forms, Brahman meditated. Meditating, he created all things. Creating all things, he entered into everything. Entering into all things, he became that which has shape and that which is shapeless; he became that which can be defined and that which cannot be defined; he became that which has support and that which has not support; he became that which is conscious and that which is not conscious; he became that which is gross and that which is subtle. He became all things whatsoever: therefore the wise call him the Real.” (Taittiriya Upanishad)

"This Self is the lord of all beings, the king of all beings. As the spokes are held together in the hub and in the felly of a wheel, just so all beings, all creatures, all gods, all worlds, all lives, are held together in the Self.
He made bodies with two feet, he made bodies with four feet. He entered into all bodies, and because he dwells within the lotus of the heart, he is known as Purusha. There is nothing that is not surrounded by him, nothing that is not filled with him.
He assumed all forms. He assumed all forms to reveal himself in all forms. He, the Lord, is revealed in an forms through his Maya. He is tens, he is thousands–he is numberless.
This Brahman is without cause, without effect, without inside or outside. This Brahman is the Self." Bhrihadaranyaka Upanishad

Last edited:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
madhuri, i think you should see the thread " quran favor monogamy?"

Hinduism is not against marriage to more than one person. Neither is marriage about penis and vagina, as you say. Marriage is also about love. If you think that polygamy is bad, why did the Islam prophet have many wives?

is hindu permit polygyni or polyandri ?

As I said there are no specific rules. None of these forms are 'evil' and any are possible. Monogamy for the spiritual person is recommended but it is not considered a sin if you marry more than one. Sin would be if having many wives or husbands were based in lust. Marriage and all manner of life should be based in love. Love is a very strong value in Hinduism. Love is everything in Hinduism.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
-How often should a Hindu meditate?

-Why are there different books? Which one was the original?

-Can you explain how you meditate, when you began meditating, and how long it took to master meditation?

-What is the Hindu take on pleasuring yourself? (you know what I mean)

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
-How often should a Hindu meditate?

Depends on what you are trying to achieve. However long and often you think it takes to achieve that. There is no rule

-Why are there different books? Which one was the original?

The Vedas are original. They are believed to exist eternally and within all creation cycles.
Other texts exist to expand on the Vedas, to explain the meanings in greater detail. Other texts are developed by persons who are believed to be Realised/Enlightened and therefore trusted authorities on knowledge of reality.

-Can you explain how you meditate, when you began meditating, and how long it took to master meditation?

Honestly I haven't meditated in a long time and I've never mastered it. I have successfully meditated before and know people who do all the time, but I've been too lazy and procrastinating to get to that level. There are different methods of meditation. I'd recommend Kriya Yoga.

-What is the Hindu take on pleasuring yourself? (you know what I mean)

It is not recommended but neither is it is a 'sin'. There aren't hard and fast rules in Hinduism. People do what they can manage. Suppression is not a good thing. But the spiritualist who endeavours to control his body rather than to be controlled by it can learn methods to overcome something like sexual needs. It comes back to meditation. You can learn to transfer or use sexual energy to facilitate meditation. It's actually very powerful.

But nobody would condemn you for giving in to the need.

sumaidi

ashabul yamin
Hinduism is not against marriage to more than one person. Neither is marriage about penis and vagina, as you say. Marriage is also about love. If you think that polygamy is bad, why did the Islam prophet have many wives?

As I said there are no specific rules. None of these forms are 'evil' and any are possible. Monogamy for the spiritual person is recommended but it is not considered a sin if you marry more than one. Sin would be if having many wives or husbands were based in lust. Marriage and all manner of life should be based in love. Love is a very strong value in Hinduism. Love is everything in Hinduism.

thats not what i say. thats [FONT=&quot]Satyamavejayanti
you can check it out in our debate. so you have different opinion with him.
[/FONT]

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
thats not what i say. thats [FONT=&quot]Satyamavejayanti
you can check it out in our debate. so you have different opinion with him.
[/FONT]

Sorry for the misunderstanding :eek:

I do not particularly like polygamy but if he said it is against the scriptures, I must ask him to show me evidence.

Do you have a link to that thread?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
My question is; which is the most challenging question in hinduism ? can you tell ? :)

Maybe this one:

Who verily knows and who can here declare it, whence it was born and whence comes this creation?
The gods are later than this world's production. Who knows then whence it first came into being?

:p

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you use mala beads for mantras etc?

I personally grew up using Tulsi japa beads for the Hare Krishna mantra.
One thing I really want to do is expand my experience with different Hindu traditions, practices and philosophies :)

sumaidi

ashabul yamin

chinu

chinu
Maybe this one:

Who verily knows and who can here declare it, whence it was born and whence comes this creation?
The gods are later than this world's production. Who knows then whence it first came into being?

If hinduism cannot slove this question, Than either it means hinduism is a incompleate religion/concept, or madhuri doen't know much about hinduism. :)