• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask me about ancient Egypt

Betho_br

I'm a Kemetic pagan who discovered the religion while studying Egyptology.
If you want to know anything about current developments in the field of Egyptology, ancient source texts, a specific deity... I may not be able to answer every question, but I can probably look it up or point out the relevant books and papers.
Also, if you just want something translated from or into hieroglyphs: My Middle Egyptian is pretty solid, just don't ask me about participle constructions.
Tell me about the 42 deities.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
@Tamino :

Jastrow argued that Amarna letter EA39 referred to “men of Judah” and “soldiers of Judah.” [source].

Subsequently ...

... the Norwegian linguist Jørgen Knudtzon’s analysis, categorization and translation of the Amarna letters has been a go-to standard, with his two-volume work Die El-Amarna-Tafeln (1907 and 1915). Knudtzon translated this word differently, as s*-u-du, with the footnote “Oder zu; nicht ia!” (“or zu; not ia!”). He equated this with the proper name Sudu (probably relating it to a Syrian fortress called Sudu). [ibid]

Any thoughts?

Tamino

@Tamino :

Jastrow argued that Amarna letter EA39 referred to “men of Judah” and “soldiers of Judah.” [source].

Subsequently ...

... the Norwegian linguist Jørgen Knudtzon’s analysis, categorization and translation of the Amarna letters has been a go-to standard, with his two-volume work Die El-Amarna-Tafeln (1907 and 1915). Knudtzon translated this word differently, as s*-u-du, with the footnote “Oder zu; nicht ia!” (“or zu; not ia!”). He equated this with the proper name Sudu (probably relating it to a Syrian fortress called Sudu). [ibid]

Any thoughts?
My thought would be that "Judah" is perhaps a bit anachronistic a term to use in reference to Bronze Age groups.