• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism: A belief?

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
So what indeed?!
Are you conceding the title of this thread?
I concede that the title of this thread is a question.

As for an answer to the question, my consistent argument throughout the thread has been that atheism is a kind of belief--a negative belief. Atheists are not people who are neutral on the question of whether gods exist. Most of my atheist friends in this thread have been in disagreement with me, but not all. So the debate has been spirited.

If you want to discuss the consequences of belief or its lack, then it would be better for you to start your own thread on that topic. I'm sure that you will get lots of takers, as you have debated that same topic with us many times in the past. There is no need to open it in an existing thread with a different topic from what you wish to discuss.

Last edited:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I concede that the title of this thread is a question.

As for an answer to the question, my consistent argument throughout the thread has been that atheism is a kind of belief--a negative belief. Atheists are not people who are neutral on the question of whether gods exist. Most of my atheists threads in this thread have been in disagreement with me, but not all. So the debate has been spirited.

If you want to discuss the consequences of belief or its lack, then it would be better for you to start your own thread on that topic. I'm sure that you will get lots of takers, as you have debated that same topic with us many times in the past. There is no need to open it in an existing thread with a different topic from what you wish to discuss.

Actually...I've been here....quite a bit.

Apparently we missed each other along the way.

And this last post makes it seem...we agree more...than not.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
There is no point in debating with you any longer. Good luck with your crusade.

Well, it's too bad in the end you weren't able to keep it a debate, and you resorted to this. I guess mischaracterizing the other person's argument in an attempt to dismiss it is the only thing left when you have no real arguments. Good luck with your attempt to pretend you're right.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Would you say you believe that the Invisible Pink Dinosaur does not exist? If you do, then you have a belief: The belief that the Invisible Pink Dinosaur does not exist.

If you are undecided-- you lack both the belief that the IPD exists and the belief that the IPD does not exist-- then you don't have a belief.

So, are you on the fence about the IPD or not? That is what determines whether you have a belief or not.

I think he brings up a good point, actually, and one that should have been brought up a long time ago. The video someone posted touched on a similar point.

His point, as I see it, is that even if he technically has a belief by claiming there is no god, it's not really the same kind of belief as believing there is a god, for instance. It's sort of a side-belief that almost isn't a belief at all.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Yes, this is where we definitely disagree. For me, both theists and atheists are people who take a stand on the existence of gods. There are people who fall into neither camp--the ones who, for whatever reason, have no position on whether they exist. It is worth noting that most of the people here who disagree with my definition of atheism are atheists by my definition. They just do not believe that their belief in the non-existence of gods is what truly licenses the use of the label "atheist". It is a very nuanced position, IMO.

But the problem is you've given no good reason why "atheist" should not apply to them. Why should "believes no gods exist" be necessary to be an atheist?

That's a legitimate argument, but I think that you have an exaggerated view of the numbers. There are grounds to believe that not even the majority of atheists use it that way.

I haven't exaggerated anything, and I'd love to see those grounds. At this point that's an empty claim.

Be careful here. We have a different view of who qualifies as an "atheist" and a "non-atheist". When you say things like this, you appear to be begging the question.

But with your definition you're excluding some people who are considered atheists by themselves and others. You define it in such a way that you're telling some people that they're wrong for calling themselves atheists.

Actually, almost all dictionaries give my sense of the word as the primary definition. Your "lack" word occurs more rarely and only as a secondary sense. I have only found a couple of dictionaries (out of about 30) that use "absence of belief" as a secondary meaning. And you may be putting too fine a point on how to construe the wording. In other words, your definition is, at best, a marginal usage.

And even if that's true, so what? What you're saying is that it's not a viable definition at all. Your stance is that it is incorrect. Even if only some people use it, and only some dictionaries specifically give that definition, you're now saying that they don't count. In essence, at this point, your claim is that dictionary definitions only count when they agree with you. That's special pleading.

I've raised the criticism of "etymological fallacy" against this type of argument, but it clearly hasn't dissuaded you from that kind of support for your position.

You're missing the point. It is not the sole reason I'm saying the word means what it does. What I'm saying is that that's the literal meaning. Since there are dictionaries that give that definition and people who use it that way, I'm saying this adds justification to their usage.

Thanks. That was a decent summary. I have given my responses, but you've seen those before. We can "agree to disagree" as the old cliche goes.

Thank you, but as I just posted about, do you think it's even worth debating this point considering even the belief that gods don't exist, as professed by the previous poster, is fairly inconsequential and unimportant?

As the video said, the rejection of atheists a lot of times is more rejecting the claim "God exists" based on the evidence given. Generally it's not saying "God does not exist". Most, if not all, of my debates about God's existence have been something like:

Me: What's the evidence for God's existence?
Theist: This, this, this and this.
Me: Well, this doesn't make sense, this isn't even true, this is based upon a misunderstanding of events and this is also not true.

It's usually not them saying "God exists, and here's why" and me saying "God doesn't exist, and here's why".

To me the most important feature is the rejection of a claim based on a lack of evidence, not the proposition of another claim.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
This is it...the quote....

I stated this all through this thread.

Yup, you and others. Everyone agrees that "I believe..." is a statement of belief. What you're missing is that "I don't believe" is not a statement of belief.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Yup, you and others. Everyone agrees that "I believe..." is a statement of belief. What you're missing is that "I don't believe" is not a statement of belief.

And what you are missing are postings all through this thread.

If you said so with conviction and you claim to be sure.....it's a belief.

gnomon

I just realized that I am a-racist.

In that I don't believe in races.

I'm being serious. This is quite the conundrum.

StoneChief

I am an Athiest or, as some may say, a Free-Thinker.
To me Atheism is a belief not a religion.
I believe there is no "supreme" being with a consciousness.
I cannot say there IS no diety and will not.
I just BELIEVE there isn't any.:sleep:

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
I would classify you as agnostic...
But it is not up to me or anyone else to define how you personally describe your beliefs or lack thereof.

Welcome to RF.:rainbow1:

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
And what you are missing are postings all through this thread.

If you said so with conviction and you claim to be sure.....it's a belief.

I'm not the one missing anything.

Again, no one is arguing that if you claim to be sure that gods don't exist, you have a belief. What you're missing is that your comment is irrelevant. The question is not whether "I claim with conviction and certainty that gods don't exist" is a belief. The question is whether "I don't have a believe in gods" is a belief. The answer to that question is "No, it's not".

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
It is a lack of belief in faerie.

I am an A-faerieist. ;)

I wonder who here would call that a religious belief?
Hm. You may lack belief that faerie exist, but you apparently have a belief that they don't exist. You are a Strong A-faerieist. :D

Orias

Left Hand Path
It is a lack of belief in faerie.

I am an A-faerieist. ;)

I wonder who here would call that a religious belief?

And I wouldn't call it religious, being a religion is totally blowing things out of proportion.

There is a big difference between a religious belief, and a personal belief.

Which it seems a lot of people here are excluding their own beliefs from being beliefs :shrug:

Not saying its religious at all :no:

Orias

Left Hand Path

LOL.

Being racist is kind of hard to avoid, since it is hard to take the "different" races seriously since we are all black at heart ;) (or so scientists say)

Back to the OP!

:clap

Stick around if you would like to hear nonsensical ramblings by those who disagree with us.

Theres always people of higher perception that stop by this thread and put their two cents worth, I would like to see some of them stay ;)

Those of us that have stayed have been unfortunate victims of unreflective and disorganized criticism.

Welcome to the forum btw :D

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist

I think that your point is not so off-topic as Orias suggested. We have names for racial groups. They are enshrined in law, so the government has tried to define them. However, racial groups suffer from the same semantic vagueness problem that word meanings have. That is, we have prototypical concepts of a "white person" or "black person", but the prototypes are based on associations of properties. The moment you try to get serious about defining racial groups in absolute terms, you quickly find that there are in-between areas where the criteria fail. It turns out that there are no objective genetic correlates to race, just a lot of different traits that act in combination to trigger the intuition of a coherent match against a prototype. Semantic vagueness is a real problem for lexicographers.

The same can be said for the meanings of words like "atheist" or "god". We have good examples of people and beings that fit those categories. Richard Dawkins is pretty typically an "atheist" by anyone's judgment, and the Christian God is a "god" by anyone's judgment. But what happens when you move away from the prototypical center? When do you stop calling someone an "atheist" and switch to another name? Or do you just try to stretch the label into a "one size fits all" category?

Making up a definition that satisfies everyone is problematic, because the prototypes that we develop as we learn and use language turn out to be based on personal experiences. Everyone's prototype is slightly different, and the perception of identical lexical meaning is something of an illusion from the individual's perspective. For some people, a collie is closer to the prototype for a dog. For others, it might be a beagle or a terrier. Human races exist in the same sense that different "species" of dogs exist. In reality, they are all the same species that fall into somewhat arbitrary subgroups.