• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism: A belief?

atanu

Premium Member
Indeed, cherry-picking dictionary definitions doesn't invalidate common understanding of words. As most atheists do not define themselves as "strong" atheists, cherry-picked dictionary definitions do not invalidate their common understanding.

Oh. That is why I said we need to throw away those dictionaries. Nevertheless, you now at least acknowledge that there are some strong atheists.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
These assertions do not mean that "I do not have any belief about existence of God".

Again: this doesn't matter. We're talking about atheism, not atheists.

I am an atheist. I have plenty of beliefs about the existence of God, but none of them are what makes me an atheist. Rejection of God is compatible with atheism... it's even common among atheists. But it's not the defining criterion that distinguishes atheism from theism.

This is actually a joke since your definition does not encompass valid definitions.
Not the ones you cherry-pick, no. But it's right there in several of them. Do you want me to repeat them?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I believe that I have no way of knowing it.

I'm not asking what you know, or believe you know, I'm asking what you believe about the color of the shirt I'm wearing. It's a simple question.

Do you believe I'm wearing a blue shirt?

Alceste

Vagabond
Obviously, the fact that you brought up and discussed the baby/stone conundrum implies that you thought it worth discussing. Yet you claim that it is not worth bringing up! That is the nature of your contradiction.

Point of fact: YOU brought babies into it, and I think Atanu brought up stones.

Nice try though. Lol.

I've offered arguments on why babies and stones are not technically atheists. Rather than to rebut my arguments, you merely repeat your claim. That is argumentum ad nauseam.

If you accept that definition, then you must agree that stones are not technically atheists. If you can hold on to that, then you are not in as bad a predicament as your earlier claim about stones.

I don't think that this is about who is "usually better". It is about the question of whether atheism is a type of belief. We have taken opposing positions on that subject. That doesn't mean that I think any less of you. If we are counting noses (and I think that we've let it go unchallenged that all atheists have noses), then there are more atheist noses on your side of the debate than mine. I suspect, though, that I could bring most lexicologist and lexicographer noses over to my side. :)

Copernicus, why are you so desperate to reject the validity weak atheism? It is by far the majority position among atheists, particularly among strict empiricists: "whether or not any gods exist, I don't happen to believe in them."

Is it lonely being one of the minority who make a positive claim that no "gods" exist, anywhere in the universe? Are you trying to artificially expand your numbers by including those who accept that much of the universe is unknown and decline to offer an opinion on what it does or does not contain?

atanu

Premium Member
I'm not asking what you know, or believe you know, I'm asking what you believe about the color of the shirt I'm wearing. It's a simple question.

Do you believe I'm wearing a blue shirt?

:)Penguin has already tried this. I am agnostic about colour of your shirt.

Last edited:

Alceste

Vagabond
And still, everyone seems to be circumventing ...conviction.

Look at the length of this thread.

When a topic is taken to such length...it is because of conviction.

'Non-believers' insist there is no God.
They stand by this with long winded discussion...citing definition....
science....logic....and anything else they can throw at it.

THEY BELIEVE....there is no God.

That's just silliness. If all atheists shared the belief "there is no god" these threads would be a page or two at most. Copernicus, who believes there is no god, DISAGREES with all the rest of the atheists on this thread (and with wikipedia and almost all English dictionaries) about whether or not they are "really" atheists. That's what's keeping this thread limping along, not a shared world view.

Alceste

Vagabond
You are correct. Blame it on Penguin.:shout

To the question "Do you believe God exists?, atanu as an atheist will reply "No, I do not believe that God exists".

Whereas Alceste would reply "what does the word 'god' mean to you?"

Because I lack belief in deities, I have nothing invested in the language construct "god" - no personal definition. Therefore I have no business defining "god" for others who care what it means. Therefore, without a bit of schooling on what they use the language construct "god" for, the question is unanswerable.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
No. I have stated my belief, which is agnostic. I have no gnosis of this issue of what colour your shirt is.

Right, I'm not asking what you know about my shirt, but what you believe. Don't sweat it - I understand you want to avoid a situation you don't know how to get out of. It actually saves me time and energy not having to chase you down an endless trail of mental gymnastics and semantic ploys in a misguided attempt to resist my argument. Others could learn from you.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
That's just silliness. If all atheists shared the belief "there is no god" these threads would be a page or two at most.
Even if every atheist shared that belief, there would still be a question of whether it's required to be an atheist.

I gave my analogy before of how you don't have to be German to be European. This would still be true even if (for some unknown reason) every country in Europe but Germany became depopulated. Even if every European was German, you'd still need to illustrate how it would be impossible to live anywhere else in Europe before you could argue that to be European, you must be German.

It's not a question of what characteristics are common among atheists; it's a question of which of those characteristics are the one(s) that make the person an atheist.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
No. I have stated my belief, which is agnostic. I have no gnosis of this issue of what colour your shirt is.
Search your mind. Consider your beliefs; do you find the belief "Kilgore Trout's shirt is blue" among them?

It's a simple yes or no question.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
It's not a question of what characteristics are common among atheists; it's a question of which of those characteristics are the one(s) that make the person an atheist.

Apparently, the best I've seen so far is that the common characteristics that make someone an atheist is that 1) they are atheists, and 2) they aren't theists. Incredibly useful.

atanu

Premium Member
Search your mind. Consider your beliefs; do you find the belief "Kilgore Trout's shirt is blue" among them?

It's a simple yes or no question.

No use creating imaginary situations.

I either do not know what a blue shirt is (Ignostic) or I know reasonably well what a blue shirt is but i believe that I have no way of knowing whether Kilgore is wearing one or not (agnostic).

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I either do not know what a blue shirt is (Ignostic) or I know reasonably well what a blue shirt is but i have no way of knowing whether Kilgore is wearing one or not (agnostic).

You seem to be confusing knowing with believing. Although, to be fair, this does seem to be a common problem.