• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism does not exist

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
You could say that, but you'd be wrong. Belief literally means "to accept a given proposition as true", while lacking a belief means you do NOT hold a given proposition to be true. It's that simple. Nothing is contorted whatsoever.
I have no problem with those definitions. However, I do not think that one needs to proclaim, "I hearby accept this given proposition as true" in order for it to be considered a belief. Any position, opinion, etc, is a belief.

I also think it is generally quite rare to lack belief in a proposition and not hold the opposite proposition as true. Thus, the large flock of people claiming such a phenomenon only in regards to the question of gods is rather suspicious to me.

It's actually called "the null hypothesis". It's about making clear who is making a claim and who carries the burden of proof. I'm willing to say that I have beliefs, but with regard to Gods I lack a belief. I'm not playing any kind of semantical game, and I don't think it is either bad or irrational to hold a belief.
The part I bolded is precisely my beef. It's a semantic argument which is popular precisely because it makes people feel that they do not need to support their position.

Everybody makes a claim. Everybody has a "burden of proof". No one, not one, is exempt.

I did not say that.

In fact, I clearly and concisely explained what I meant by "lacking a belief". There is a very big difference between having an OPINION and having a BELIEF. I explained that I lack a BELIEF, not an OPINION. Do not put words in my mouth.
Whoa, simmer down, cowboy. I never said you said that. I was asking clarifying questions. Because I have just as clearly stated that I believe opinions are beliefs.

I have no idea since I cannot assign probability to something for which I currently have an insufficient understanding of the variables to deduce the probability of their correctness.
I do not see how this formulation is any different than saying that either option is just as likely. That's what "not knowing the probabilities" would entail.

Furthermore, if you have rejected the theists' proposition, and their evidence, you must have done so for a reason. Or did you just do it because it was Thursday, and you're ****** off on Thursdays?

They are two different things. I have many opinions on theism, but none of them have a bearing on whether or not I hold the proposition that God exists to actually be true.
Explain how a belief and an opinion are different.

Are you another person who thinks that a claim of belief and a claim of knowledge are the same thing?

If you wish to count rocks and babies as atheists, go ahead; it makes absolutely no difference.
I'm not the one who wishes to count them as atheists. It is the definition you advocate that makes it so.

If a definition is so ridiculously broad as to include things that shouldn't be included, then that points to a problem with the definition.

If the fact that babies lack a belief in God, and this makes them atheists by default, troubles you then that's not a problem with the definition as much as it is a problem you apparently have with atheism as a default position.
There is no such thing as a default position. As I have asked the Monk of Reason, how do you know it is the default? Is this a belief of yours?

And yes, I have a problem with the unnecessarily broadening of a label that is intended to indicate a considered belief position. Babies shouldn't be given any label, whether it be Christian, or Democrat, or Atheist.

We're using the actual definition, you are the one twisting it to include opinions or dismissing it on the basis that you think it "makes silly results". It doesn't matter - it's what the word literally means.
It's what you want the word to mean, and which a minority of vocal atheists on internet forums want the word to mean.

But to the rest of the English speaking populace, it generally means the belief that gods don't exist.

Then those people are using a more exclusive definition of the term, and they're more than welcome to. I use the broad definition - a definition which is just a valid in the word's very definition. I really do not see what your issue with this definition is. You just seem to really dislike the idea that atheism might actually be the default position as if that somehow makes it "more correct" or "more reasonable". You don't have to believe that. Why the insecurity?
I've already indicated my issues with the definition. So far, your argument has simply been "Nyah. Well you're wrong!". Not particularly convincing, I'm afraid.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
That's not an accurate comparison. With regards to the question of whether or not a God exists, there are only two possibilities: yes or no. And with regards to whether an individual has a belief in a particular proposition, the answer is also only one of two possibilities: yes or no.

Consider this analogy:

Two people are on a beach. One turns to the other and says "I believe there is an even number of grains of sand on this beach". With regards to this point, there are only two possibilities: either an odd number or an even number. His friend, however, looks at the beach and shrugs, saying "I don't believe you, because I don't think you could possibly have counted them all and found out".

Now, in this analogy, is the second person effectively making a claim about whether or not the number of sand on the beach is even or odd, or are they just stating their position of disbelief of the first person's claim? When you realize why saying "I don't think the number of grains of sand is even" is not equal to "I believe the number of grains of sand is odd", you will understand why "I don't believe a God exists" is not equal to "I believe God does not exist".
Nobody would say "I don't believe you..." in response to that. If they did, I would believe that they believed that the friend was incorrect. If they were unsure, and had no opinion, they would say "I don't know" or "I have no opinion."

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Actually, that's probably a very good test to illustrate my position.

If, when you ask yourself whether god exists or not, and you say to yourself, "I don't believe so" or "I don't think so", then you have a belief.

If, instead, you say "I don't know" or "I have no idea", then you believe that god's existence is just as likely as it is not, and you can be said to be agnostic (in the popular sense of the word).

Last edited:

idav

Being
Premium Member
My example wasn't what was being debated. What was being debated was whether not believing something is a claim in and of itself.

It isnt a claim until an alternative is presented. Not believing the invisible unicorn is in my room isnt a claim, maybe a belief once someone tries to say the affirmative. I know my example didnt say as much but comparing unknowns is much harder than readily visible aspects.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
It isnt a claim until an alternative is presented. Not believing the invisible unicorn is in my room isnt a claim, maybe a belief once someone tries to say the affirmative.
The part I bolded is the crux. Nearly always, the affirmative is assumed, implied, and accepted when someone says "I don't believe X". That's how English works: We rarely go around saying "I believe the unicorn doesn't exist" because it's much easier to say "I don't believe the unicorn exists", which means the same thing as the former.

And regardless, I still fail to see how rejecting a claim wouldn't be a claim in itself. Why isn't it? Just because you guys have decided that it isn't? It sure sounds like a claim to me.

I know my example didnt say as much but comparing unknowns is much harder than readily visible aspects.
I really don't think that whether a rejection is a claim or not should depend on what's being rejected. Either a rejection is a claim or it isn't. It shouldn't matter whether we are talking about invisible unicorns, the speed of light, or gods.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
I have no problem with those definitions. However, I do not think that one needs to proclaim, "I hearby accept this given proposition as true" in order for it to be considered a belief. Any position, opinion, etc, is a belief.
Except for a position of disbelief, by definition.

I also think it is generally quite rare to lack belief in a proposition and not hold the opposite proposition as true. Thus, the large flock of people claiming such a phenomenon only in regards to the question of gods is rather suspicious to me.
See the analogy in my post above, i.e: saying "I don't believe the number of grains of sand on this beach is even" is not holding the opposite position of "I believe the number of grains of sand on this beach is odd". It is the exact same logic with claims regarding the existence (or nonexistence) of a God or Gods. This is why it's the null hypothesis - it doesn't just apply to questions of Gods, but all claims about anything. The default position is to not believe something until demonstrated in some capacity, and this can be applied to basically any positive or negative claim you can make.

The part I bolded is precisely my beef. It's a semantic argument which is popular precisely because it makes people feel that they do not need to support their position.
I support my position all the time in all manner of debates, and so do many atheists. You'll see it all the time all over the forum, atheists are constantly having to support their arguments and positions on all fronts. The difference comes down to who is making a claim with regards to this singular question of the existence of a God, and the simple fact that the burden of proof for a claim always rests with the person making it.

Everybody makes a claim. Everybody has a "burden of proof". No one, not one, is exempt.
That depends entirely on the claim and who is making it. With regards to the proposition "God exists", the claim is being made that a God exists - nobody who doesn't believe that proposition carries the burden of proof. This is how the null hypothesis works.

Whoa, simmer down, cowboy. I never said you said that. I was asking clarifying questions. Because I have just as clearly stated that I believe opinions are beliefs.
Opinions are a sub-set of beliefs, but they aren't just beliefs.

I do not see how this formulation is any different than saying that either option is just as likely. That's what "not knowing the probabilities" would entail.
How does saying "I don't know the probability" entail "they are just as likely"? That makes no sense.

Furthermore, if you have rejected the theists' proposition, and their evidence, you must have done so for a reason. Or did you just do it because it was Thursday, and you're ****** off on Thursdays?
The reason is usually that the evidence isn't compelling, and whenever such evidence is presented I normally explain why I don't find it compelling since "your evidence is insufficient" carries with it a burden of proof. That has absolutely nothing to do with whether atheism itself is a claim or atheists carry a burden of proof.

Explain how a belief and an opinion are different.
I've already just gone through this. A belief is "holding a proposition to be true", this is REGARDLESS of the reasons for it. An opinion is a belief that you accept is either subjective or just as valid as another contradicting view, or one for which there isn't an objective answer. For example, you can believe that 2+3=5, but 2+3=5 isn't a matter of opinion.

Are you another person who thinks that a claim of belief and a claim of knowledge are the same thing?
Nope.

I'm not the one who wishes to count them as atheists. It is the definition you advocate that makes it so.
And why is that a problem? So what if babies are technically atheists?

If a definition is so ridiculously broad as to include things that shouldn't be included, then that points to a problem with the definition.
And whether you think things "shouldn't be included" is obviously a matter of presumption that has no bearing whatsoever on the actual definition of the word.

There is no such thing as a default position.
Yes there is.

As I have asked the Monk of Reason, how do you know it is the default? Is this a belief of yours?
Now you're just playing games. The default position applies to a specific response to a specific claim. I hold lots of beliefs about lots of different things, but with regards to the specific claim "a God exists" I hold the default position of a lack of belief.

And yes, I have a problem with the unnecessarily broadening of a label that is intended to indicate a considered belief position. Babies shouldn't be given any label, whether it be Christian, or Democrat, or Atheist.
Then don't give them it. It makes absolutely no difference to the validity (or invalidity) of anything. The fact is that babies lack beliefs until taught or instructed to do so. I don't think I'm scoring any points by using a definition of atheism that includes babies or even people who are unaware of God concepts, I'm just using the actual definition of the word to explain my position - which is a lack of belief. If it troubles you to think that atheism might, in fact, be the default position, that is your problem.

It's what you want the word to mean, and which a minority of vocal atheists on internet forums want the word to mean.
It's precisely what the definition of the word says, and I doubt you've crunched the numbers to determine who, exactly, are the minority.

But to the rest of the English speaking populace, it generally means the belief that gods don't exist.
And those people would be generally incorrect.

I've already indicated my issues with the definition. So far, your argument has simply been "Nyah. Well you're wrong!". Not particularly convincing, I'm afraid.
Because it really is that simple. Your argument boils down to "I don't want babies to be atheists". You've not made a convincing argument yourself. My argument is that it's what the word literally means, which is far stronger than "I don't want to use that definition because I don't like the though of such a thing as a default position".

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Nobody would say "I don't believe you..." in response to that. If they did, I would believe that they believed that the friend was incorrect. If they were unsure, and had no opinion, they would say "I don't know" or "I have no opinion."
Do you really not understand how analogies work? Can you at least answer the question?

Is saying "I don't believe the number of grains of sand on this beach is even" the same as saying "I believe the number of grains of sand on this beach is odd"?

Actually, that's probably a very good test to illustrate my position.

If, when you ask yourself whether god exists or not, and you say to yourself, "I don't believe so" or "I don't think so", then you have a belief.
What belief? No belief is implied by either of those responses.

If, instead, you say "I don't know" or "I have no idea", then you believe that god's existence is just as likely as it is not, and you can be said to be agnostic (in the popular sense of the word).
That's just nonsense. Not knowing does not mean you claim that the proposition is just as likely true as false - it just means you don't know.

You completely dodged the point of the entire analogy.

Last edited:

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Do you really not understand how analogies work? Can you at least answer the question?

Is saying "I don't believe the number of grains of sand on this beach is even" the same as saying "I believe the number of grains of sand on this beach is odd"?
Yes.

But I believe my response was relevant, and points to the "convolution" that I was talking about. You have to make your hypothetical person say things that we normally wouldn't say in order to make your point.

What belief? No belief is implied by either of those responses.
The belief that gods don't exist is clearly implied by both.

That's just nonsense. Not knowing does not mean you claim that the proposition is just as likely true as false - it just means you don't know.
That's what not knowing (in that context) means: It means that either solution is equally as likely as the other.

You completely dodged the point of the entire analogy.
Maybe you just didn't like my answers?

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I'm going to respond to your post piecemeal because we have a couple of different arguments going, and I really hate monster posts.

Because it really is that simple. Your argument boils down to "I don't want babies to be atheists". You've not made a convincing argument yourself. My argument is that it's what the word literally means, which is far stronger than "I don't want to use that definition because I don't like the though of such a thing as a default position".

Say I came up to you and said that a farmer is anyone who grows plants. "But wait!" you protest, "That means that since I have houseplants, that would make me a farmer!"

Are you making a legitimate concern about my broad definition of a farmer? Or should you just suck it up and decide that you are a farmer after all, even if you do just grow houseplants, just because I have decided that farmers should be defined as anyone who grows plants?

Definitions are about what is or isn't included in them. If we had a definition of dogs that allowed rabbits to slip in, then the definition wouldn't be a good one.

I see no reason why babies should be included in the definition of atheism. That your definition includes them makes me believe that your definition is not optimal.

If you think that the definition of atheism should include babies, then convince me! Tell me why it is so important that babies should be labeled as atheists.

I have already given you my reasons why they should not, namely, that babies shouldn't be labeled with belief-labels.

Last edited:

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I am familiar with many different deity concepts and lack the belief that any of them exist outside the minds of those who want them to exist.
It seems to me that you've clearly expressed the belief that they don't exist outside of the minds of those who want them to exist.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
So you do not see any difference between rejecting a claim and making a contrary claim? Then the issue is that you don't understand what it means to make a claim, because "I don't believe X" does not mean "I believe Y".

But I believe my response was relevant, and points to the "convolution" that I was talking about. You have to make your hypothetical person say things that we normally wouldn't say in order to make your point.
It's an analogy. It's not supposed to have naturalistic dialogue, it's supposed to illustrate a specific point. And also, I would normally say that depending on the claim being made.

The belief that gods don't exist is clearly implied by both.
No it clearly isn't. Both are positions of absence of belief - there is no implication of any kind of belief.

That's what not knowing (in that context) means: It means that either solution is equally as likely as the other.
So you just made up your own definition of "knowing"? Not knowing means you don't know. There's absolutely no reason to conclude that you calculate the probability of a given proposition - that's baseless and asinine.

Maybe you just didn't like my answers?
No, you just clearly dodged the analogy with that silly argument about how "people wouldn't talk that way". Now you've answered the argument and made it perfectly clear that you do not understand how to differentiate the absence of a belief from a contradictory claim, clearly illustrating that the problem lies with you.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Say I came up to you and said that a farmer is anyone who grows plants. "But wait!" you protest, "That means that since I have houseplants, that would make me a farmer!"
No I wouldn't. I'd say "that's wrong".

Are you making a legitimate concern about my broad definition of a farmer? Or should you just suck it up and decide that you are a farmer after all, even if you do just grow houseplants, just because I have decided that farmers should be defined as anyone who grows plants?
This isn't about what "I just decided". This about what the word actually means and what it means to actually lack a belief. I'm not changing any definitions, I'm not twisting anything, I've been clear from the very beginning. You are claiming that there is no such thing as a default position and that my personal definition of atheism is somehow silly - I'm explaining to you how it isn't and how, in fact, it's an accurate definition of atheism considering it's what the word is actually defined as.

Definitions are about what is or isn't included in them. If we had a definition of dogs that allowed rabbits to slip in, then the definition wouldn't be a good one.
Again, this is just an "I don't like the idea, therefore it's a bad definition" argument.

I see no reason why babies should be included in the definition of atheism. That your definition includes them makes me believe that your definition is not optimal.
Again, "I don't like it, so it's wrong". You are not making a good case, and I doubt you're even trying. What is wrong with the fact that, by my definition, babies can be considered atheists? What is inherently wrong with that as a concept?

If you think that the definition of atheism should include babies, then convince me! Tell me why it is so important that babies should be labeled as atheists.
I've repeatedly and clearly explained that atheism is a lack of belief, and that babies lack a belief, therefore babies are atheists. What's the problem?

I have already given you my reasons why they should not, namely, that babies shouldn't be labeled with belief-labels.
"I don't think they should because I don't think they should".

Seriously, that's what your argument boils down to. Also, if we can say "babies lack beliefs", then we can say "babies are atheists". In exactly the same way we can say babies are "apolitical" or "non-smokers". Do you have an issue with me saying that babies are either of these, because both are just as true as calling them atheists. It shouldn't make any kind of difference whatsoever. The fact is that you're just uncomfortable with the idea of there being a default position, and that maybe atheism is it, because you somehow associate holding a default or moderate position with some kind of higher intellectual standing. But there's no need to do that. There's nothing inherently wrong with calling people who lack a belief in God "atheists". Nobody is going to catch fire. Nobody is saying we have to tattoo it onto them at birth. It's just, quite simply, that that is what the word means.

Last edited:

idav

Being
Premium Member
The part I bolded is the crux. Nearly always, the affirmative is assumed, implied, and accepted when someone says "I don't believe X". That's how English works: We rarely go around saying "I believe the unicorn doesn't exist" because it's much easier to say "I don't believe the unicorn exists", which means the same thing as the former.

And regardless, I still fail to see how rejecting a claim wouldn't be a claim in itself. Why isn't it? Just because you guys have decided that it isn't? It sure sounds like a claim to me.

I really don't think that whether a rejection is a claim or not should depend on what's being rejected. Either a rejection is a claim or it isn't. It shouldn't matter whether we are talking about invisible unicorns, the speed of light, or gods.
I think it matters whats being claimed and what evidence is being used. If you told me about the invisible unicorn in my room I dont have a belief in it one way or another and then agnostic doesnt work because im not going to weigh it against the infinite other invisible things that may be in my room. As if I need a belief in no invisible things just from someone stating the possibility.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I also think it is generally quite rare to lack belief in a proposition and not hold the opposite proposition as true.
Not necessarily the opposite proposition, but another proposition. We do not reject a claim for no reason, and the reason is usually that we already have something taking that place, in our picture of the world, that the claim proposes to fill.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Not necessarily the opposite proposition, but another proposition. We do not reject a claim for no reason, and the reason is usually that we already have something taking that place, in our picture of the world, that the claim proposes to fill.

Yeah, that's more accurate. I was just thinking about situations in which there are only two options.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Here's the difference: Theists have provided what they consider evidence for their position. The problem isn't that they haven't provided evidence. The problem is that you have decided that that evidence isn't good enough for you to believe it. You have considered your options. You have weighed the evidence. You have come to a conclusion. And that conclusion is a belief. The belief that gods don't exist.
The main problem I see with this is that there are as many variations on what "god" means as there are theists. I've been presented with arguments for mainstream god-concepts, but I'm certain that there are fringe god-concepts that I haven't even heard of, let alone considered and rejected.

If we're defining atheism in terms of rejection of god-concepts, then just rejecting some god-concepts isn't enough to make a person an atheist... after all, even most theists reject competing god-concepts. And I think it's reasonable to assume that no person in the world has encountered every god-concept... so are there really no atheists, as the person in the OP's story suggested?

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I support my position all the time in all manner of debates, and so do many atheists. You'll see it all the time all over the forum, atheists are constantly having to support their arguments and positions on all fronts. The difference comes down to who is making a claim with regards to this singular question of the existence of a God, and the simple fact that the burden of proof for a claim always rests with the person making it.

That depends entirely on the claim and who is making it. With regards to the proposition "God exists", the claim is being made that a God exists - nobody who doesn't believe that proposition carries the burden of proof. This is how the null hypothesis works.
I don't get it. If you don't believe you have to support your position, then why do you? Isn't that just a waste of your time, then?

Nah. What I suspect is that we innately reject this idea that only some people have to support their positions and other people get a free ride, just based upon how they happened to word it.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
The main problem I see with this is that there are as many variations on what "god" means as there are theists. I've been presented with arguments for mainstream god-concepts, but I'm certain that there are fringe god-concepts that I haven't even heard of, let alone considered and rejected.

If we're defining atheism in terms of rejection of god-concepts, then just rejecting some god-concepts isn't enough to make a person an atheist... after all, even most theists reject competing god-concepts. And I think it's reasonable to assume that no person in the world has encountered every god-concept... so are there really no atheists, as the person in the OP's story suggested?
You know I find this argument utterly unconvincing. It places an above-ordinary expectation for precision in the definition, which simply doesn't exist for any other word. All of us here have a general understanding of what a god concept is. Whether you know every specific example of a god is irrelevant, just like you don't need to have personal experience with every breed of dog to know whether you like dogs or not.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Consider a few claims:

- I had a pound of cheddar cheese for breakfast
- I had leftover pizza for breakfast
- I had cereal for breakfast
- I had French toast for breakfast
- I had granola bars for breakfast
- I didn't have breakfast

Do you accept all of them? If not, what are your reasons for rejecting the ones you didn't accept?