• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism doesn't mean much.

outhouse

Atheistically
So I believe that all people actually need something or someone to believe in. It is a human nature.

Well unlike most religions.

Atheist do follow reality as close as possible. We believe in reality, by means of education and knowledge.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I don't believe that there are people who are meant to be atheist for every person needs aspiration or something to direct him.

I guess you will have to take my word for it, or choose to doubt it instead.

Or probe further. I am not the only firm atheist around, far from it.

Maybe someone to look up to. Someone of example. Someone he would follow his footsteps. So I believe that all people actually need something or someone to believe in. It is a human nature. It sometimes happens that this person or something is his self

Do you think that is an argument for theism? It is perhaps more suited as an argument against it.

Sabour

I guess you will have to take my word for it, or choose to doubt it instead.

Or probe further. I am not the only firm atheist around, far from it.

Do you think that is an argument for theism? It is perhaps more suited as an argument against it.

I didn't state it as an argument of theism. I just mentioned it to explain my position which I stated

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
I think there are two different views of the term atheism.

1 - Statement of non belief.
2 - More recently a statement of non belief as well as rational and critical thinking.

thau

I don't expect the average human animal to fully understand. This is very much a "you have to be there" type of thing.

It was intentionally so. It's sort of like a riddle or a koan. What do you think I saw? I'll eventually spill the beans, but it's so much fun to tease. Think.... what did I see? (Oh, the eyes were massive... like peering into two of the Great Lakes...)

On the other hand, there have been enough well documented testimonies and words of the lives of many famous saints who have had their own encounters with the one true God. These eye witnesses also testifying to the wonders many of these saints performed as validation of their words, further enhances the veracity of the saint’s experience. They saw or conversed with Jesus or Mary or a soul in purgatory, or an angel.

No holy saint who trusts in God for all things would then lie egregiously just to bring honor upon himself and risk the hell he also believes in.

Nor, do I have to be granted my own supernatural encounter to know the truth.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
When someone says, 'I'm an atheist', my reaction is pretty much, "so what"? I mean, it's not telling me anything, it's basically a statement in the negative. It doesn't tell me that the person is excercising some 'rationale' to reach that conclusion. It could just as easily be assumed that atheism is the default position for that individual when not thinking about the ideas at all.
Yes it is default, and not anything that requires any shouting from the rooftops.

There are no conclusions either. No need as the matter as it is remains as always, and by default is void of any ideology that needs nor requires substantiation.

Skwim

Veteran Member
disciple said:
Tiapan said:
to me it shows they are logical and have done some serious thinking for themselves unlike many who are not atheists.
That seems like some wild assumptions you'd be making there.
Actually it isn't. Atheists have, on average, a higher IQ higher than all other "believers" except Episcopalians and Jews.
IQbyreligion.jpg

source

And because logical and rational thinking positively correlates with IQ it's quite reasonable to expect an atheist to have thought more seriously about religion than your run of the mill believer.

Sabour

Actually it isn't. Atheists have, on average, a higher IQ higher than all other "believers" except Episcopalians and Jews.
IQbyreligion.jpg

source

And because logical and rational thinking positively correlates with IQ it's quite reasonable to expect an atheist to have thought more seriously about religion than your run of the mill believer.

These results dontean much.

In many cases, the more clever and smart the person is, the more ignorant he becomes.

Yes I am serious.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
These results dontean much.

In many cases, the more clever and smart the person is, the more ignorant he becomes.

Yes I am serious.

Misguided, perhaps (although I completely don't agree). Not ignorant, I would think. That doesn't quite make sense.

Sabour

Misguided, perhaps (although I completely don't agree). Not ignorant, I would think. That doesn't quite make sense.

Ignorance I am referring to would be when one starts thinking he's always right about everything and doesn't consider other point of view. Not even in the subjects out of his specialty.

In my opinion, those who think that they are always right are the most ignorant people.

I think we are on the same page even if the terms differ and you dont completely agree

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Ignorance I am referring to would be when one starts thinking he's always right about everything and doesn't consider other point of view. Not even in the subjects out of his specialty.

In my opinion, those who think that they are always right are the most ignorant people.

I think we are on the same page even if the terms differ and you dont completely agree

The only ones I have meet who think they are always right are the religious, especially the Christians, after all they believe their argument comes directly from God, can you see the arrogance in that ?.

outhouse

Atheistically
The only ones I have meet who think they are always right are the religious, especially the Christians, after all they believe their argument comes directly from God, can you see the arrogance in that ?.

How about one answer.

He is never wrong when it comes to Islamic history in Koran, or anything else in the Koran, he is required to be 100% correct every single time.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
How about one answer.

He is never wrong when it comes to Islamic history in Koran, or anything else in the Koran, he is required to be 100% correct every single time.

I see, well that's very sad indeed. and of course potentially dangerous.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
LuisDantas said:
You may be failing to see how exceptional the claim of belief in a deity is. So very exceptional that it makes theism an inherently irrational belief.

And what you may find utterly exceptional could really just be a reflection of your own opinions rather than an inherent irrationally of a particular claim.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
And what you may find utterly exceptional could really just be a reflection of your own opinions rather than an inherent irrationally of a particular claim.

So many things "could" be. But really, a being that just happens to be, with no evidence whatsoever? And, in the Abrahamic conceptions of same, one that somehow has no origin yet I must accept as the originator of everything? One that supposedly touched dozens of prophets and is the source of everything that is worthy, yet somehow consistently fails to leave either a clear or a moral message?

No, it is not really conceivable that the God of Abraham, at least, exists. Other deities are more reasonable, but also far more elective.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

That is a very ironic statement for one to make while also presenting the Quran as a source of wisdom.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
On the other hand, there have been enough well documented testimonies and words of the lives of many famous saints who have had their own encounters with the one true God. These eye witnesses also testifying to the wonders many of these saints performed as validation of their words, further enhances the veracity of the saint’s experience. They saw or conversed with Jesus or Mary or a soul in purgatory, or an angel.

No holy saint who trusts in God for all things would then lie egregiously just to bring honor upon himself and risk the hell he also believes in.

Nor, do I have to be granted my own supernatural encounter to know the truth.
Good thing I don't believe in any of the above. Whew. Maybe it would help if I said that I fully expect people to just read what I said, roll their eyes, and move to the next post.

HonestJoe

Somewhat ironic coming from a poster who chose the name "One answer" don't you think? You do seem very confident in the accuracy of your opinions.