• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism doesn't mean much.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
LuisDantas said:
So many things "could" be. But really, a being that just happens to be, with no evidence whatsoever?

Nothing that you consider evidence.

Generally, I don't think either side really cares about evidence. People believe what they want to believe and rationalise after the fact. You're no different.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I do see a point in avoing belief for the sake of belief, if that is what you mean. There is merit in trusting things for a reason as opposed to for immediate confort.

Then again, I would be lying if I said it is even a choice.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
When someone says, 'I'm an atheist', my reaction is pretty much, "so what"? I mean, it's not telling me anything, it's basically a statement in the negative. It doesn't tell me that the person is excercising some 'rationale' to reach that conclusion. It could just as easily be assumed that atheism is the default position for that individual when not thinking about the ideas at all.

I agree with you. They live in hollowness.

Regards

Thief

Rogue Theologian
So for every question there may be a firm response.
Then two more questions arise...
More response.
Then many more questions pop up.

And soon you realize you have more questions than answers.

The more you know....the more ignorant you are.
(however.....not to hold ignorance as bliss)

I see the lack of faith as the inability to appreciate the statement....I AM!

(back to the beginning....again)

Last edited:

thau

Good thing I don't believe in any of the above. Whew. Maybe it would help if I said that I fully expect people to just read what I said, roll their eyes, and move to the next post.

Was what I said out of line? You would prefer not to have any possible evidence presented your way perhaps? Ok. But I cannot help but think of the following.

John 9:39-41
"I came into this world," said Jesus, "to judge men, that those who do not see may see, and that those who do see may become blind." These words were heard by those of the Pharisees who were present, and they asked Him, "Are we also blind?" "If you were blind," answered Jesus, "you would have no sin; but as a matter offact you boast that you see. So your sin remains!"

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Atheism doesn't mean much

They come to Atheism for finding fault with others, not for anything positive.

Regards

We do not "come to" atheism; it was born with us. Nor does it exist for finding fault with others, nor does it lack positive aspects.

Among the most notable are the resistance to painful delusions and a degree of resistance to social manipulations based on belief in deities.

All things told, atheism has a superb ratio of cost-benefit.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Many have.

Some did, certainly. At least arguably after having been pressured out of it in the first place.

Still, I probably should have been a bit more detailed previously.

I just find it... very odd, and more than a bit libelous, to claim that atheism is as Paarsurrey claims it to be. How come there are still people actually saying such things in the 21st century?

Edited to add: and come on, I am sick and tired of such blanket judgements with no basis on reality. Am I supposed to take the time to carefully explain why they are delusional and disrespectful every single time? Paarsurrey has been here long enough to know better already, yet he has not extended us similar courtesy. At some point he should expect not to receive it either.

People should expect to find a common level of interaction with others. Not to enjoy a level of consideration that they do not want to attempt to deserve.

Last edited:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Atheism doesn't mean much

They come to Atheism for finding fault with others, not for anything positive.

Regards

Usually when atheists try to argue with me it does take a very negative slant, even 'personal' when they say less intelligent people are theists etc.
Nothing backs this up, it's all opinion of some sort.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Usually when atheists try to argue with me it does take a very negative slant, even 'personal' when they say less intelligent people are theists etc.

They are not ethically pushed to be reasonable .

Regards

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Most of the time what I have seen is demolition of arguments that, frankly, usually should not have been presented in the first place. Things like threats of a fiery doom in hell or variations of Pascal's wager.

I don't think it is reasonable to expect that kind of argumentation to receive a lot of respect.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
When someone says, 'I'm an atheist', my reaction is pretty much, "so what"?

It is my reaction, too. It is like hearing someone saying: "I don't believe I can fly by flipping my arms at a fast rate".

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Some did, certainly. At least arguably after having been pressured out of it in the first place.

Still, I probably should have been a bit more detailed previously.

I just find it... very odd, and more than a bit libelous, to claim that atheism is as Paarsurrey claims it to be. How come there are still people actually saying such things in the 21st century?

Edited to add: and come on, I am sick and tired of such blanket judgements with no basis on reality. Am I supposed to take the time to carefully explain why they are delusional and disrespectful every single time? Paarsurrey has been here long enough to know better already, yet he has not extended us similar courtesy. At some point he should expect not to receive it either.
I don't know your history with Paarsurrey, but I agree with his assertion. Many do come to atheism through criticism of religion. :shrug:

And yes, you're both employing generalizations to emphasize your points, but everyone does it. Anything to make the point stronger. It's important to see the point, rather than the generalization.

Last edited: