• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism is a faith

Do you think Atheism counts as a faith

• yes

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • no

Votes: 74 75.5%

• Total voters

UnTheist

In one sense Atheism DOES make a "positive claim" in that it "denies the existence of God". If the burden of proof rests on the shoulders of those who make the claim then I say there IS a burden of proof on you....... the burden of the proof that God does NOT exist. After all Ahteists ARE making the claim that God does NOT exist. Why should they NOT be pressured to prove THEIR claim?
...BECAUSE ATHEISM DOESN'T SAY GOD DOESN'T EXIST!

I believe I have repeated that 10 times in this damn thread.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
...BECAUSE ATHEISM DOESN'T SAY GOD DOESN'T EXIST!

I believe I have repeated that 10 times in this damn thread.

There is no need to get all huffy. If you cannot remain civil during a debate and answer an honest question then you do not belong in the debate. However YOU would word it the end result is the same. In your mind there is no God. After all the only other option is that "there is a God". Why should you not be pressured into proving that there is no God the same way you feel theists should be pressured into proving there IS a God.

And you also have to consider that Atheism DOES say "God doesn't exist." Consider the fact that there are two options. Either God exists or God doesn't exist. Now Theists believe the first that God exists. Atheism is the opposite of Theism and therefor Atheism does say "God doesn't exist."

Please remember I am not challenging your beliefs I am merely debating what you have said(that is the purpose of a debate forum.) You seem to have no trouble stating your opinion on what other people in this thread have said but blow up whenever someone states an opinion or asks a question about what you have said. "If you can't take the heat step away from the fire."

UnTheist

There is no need to get all huffy. If you cannot remain civil during a debate and answer an honest question then you do not belong in the debate.

I definitely belong in debates because I know how do debate.

However YOU would word it the end result is the same. In your mind there is no God. After all the only other option is that "there is a God". Why should you not be pressured into proving that there is no God the same way you feel theists should be pressured into proving there IS a God.

No, God isn't even in my mind. I live as if I never heard of "God". "God doesn't exist!" is not in my mind.

And you also have to consider that Atheism DOES say "God doesn't exist." Consider the fact that there are two options. Either God exists or God doesn't exist. Now Theists believe the first that God exists. Atheism is the opposite of Theism and therefor Atheism does say "God doesn't exist."

Another Strawman. Atheism is the opposite of "Belief in Gods" (Theism), not the opposite of "God exists."

Please remember I am not challenging your beliefs I am merely debating what you have said(that is the purpose of a debate forum.) You seem to have no trouble stating your opinion on what other people in this thread have said but blow up whenever someone states an opinion or asks a question about what you have said. "If you can't take the heat step away from the fire."

"Atheism doesn't say God doesn't exist" is not an opinion.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
I definitely belong in debates because I know how do debate.

No, God isn't even in my mind. I live as if I never heard of "God". "God doesn't exist!" is not in my mind.

Nope. Try again. God(s) may exist, but there is no way to verify without evidence. Therefore I remain in non-belief.

"Atheism doesn't say God doesn't exist" is not an opinion.

And who named you debate master? Simply saying I'm right you're wrong is not debate. Especially since in a debate you need to back up whatever claims you make. This is something you have, to my knowledge, yet to do. You have insulted pretty much everyone in this thread who has "dared to question or disagree with you" and refuse to do more than glance at the other side of the argument before dismissing it as false simply because it disagrees with you. I've had enough of debating with you as clearly you don't want to debate you just want people to believe you are right. When you find that you are finally able to handle a little questioning then come talk to me.

Popeyesays

Back in competetive debate we used to call such fellows "Master Debaters" wotj a certain tilt to the words to imply a "wanker".

Regards,
Scott

UnTheist

And who named you debate master? Simply saying I'm right you're wrong is not debate. Especially since in a debate you need to back up whatever claims you make. This is something you have, to my knowledge, yet to do.
Because I never made a claim.

You have insulted pretty much everyone in this thread who has "dared to question or disagree with you" and refuse to do more than glance at the other side of the argument before dismissing it as false simply because it disagrees with you.

I have absolutely insulted nobody in this thread, except ChristinES (which I admitted a long time ago). I never called you a name or insulted you in the slightest.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
Well lets see if we can get this thread back on track shall we? I'm sure all here remember the original question of whether or not you think Atheism could be considered a faith. How about we have a recap of the arguments for and against, if you have any new ones to add feel free, and we'll go from there.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Besides, that old saying, "If atheism is a faith, then baldness is a hairstyle" pretty much sums it up.
That's funny because baldness IS a hairstyle in some cases, and is not in other cases.

As for the question posed in the OP, I would say it depends on what kind of atheism one is talking about. But for most atheists for most of the time, I'd say it is not a faith. It only becomes so in reaction to something else.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
That's funny because baldness IS a hairstyle in some cases, and is not in other cases.

As for the question posed in the OP, I would say it depends on what kind of atheism one is talking about. But for most atheists for most of the time, I'd say it is not a faith. It only becomes so in reaction to something else.

What sort of something?

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Mod Post

Can everyone bear forum rules in mind while posting please, attacking ideas is fine but lets try to avoid personal posts.

rojse

RF Addict
But it comes with assumptions that require faith.

All of the assumptions involved in atheism require a severe lack of faith, in terms of the existence of a deity, comparing the real world to the written words espoused by the deity, and so forth.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Baldness is ALWAYS a hair style! Just check out Demi in GI Jane! Wooooooooooooot!!!

But think about this, bald is an acceptable hair color when you are describing someone to the police. Sometimes the baldness is forced upon the person and sometimes it's fully their choice. Does it matter? Not really.

Nowadays, many if not most atheists have an agenda concerning their atheism. They defend their CHOICE with an ardor that is inspiring. Sure, some of them are driven by an intense dislike/hate of theism (or God himself), but I have yet to meet an atheist who did not rely on faith to one degree or another.

Again, I believe that the real issue with "faith" is the emotional baggage assigned to it. If you ask an atheist WHY they believe the way they do, the word "reason" plays a huge role. Somehow, they see faith as the antithesis to reason, which it is not. Just ask them which is better, faith or reason, you might be surprised at just how adamant they are for the latter.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
Also I have heard many an Atheist state phrases such as "God doesn't exist", "There is no God", "God is imaginary", "God is a delusion" and so on. These statements would certainly seem to require some modicum of faith seeing as how they cannot be proven.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
Baldness is ALWAYS a hair style! Just check out Demi in GI Jane! Wooooooooooooot!!!

But think about this, bald is an acceptable hair color when you are describing someone to the police. Sometimes the baldness is forced upon the person and sometimes it's fully their choice. Does it matter? Not really.

Nowadays, many if not most atheists have an agenda concerning their atheism. They defend their CHOICE with an ardor that is inspiring. Sure, some of them are driven by an intense dislike/hate of theism (or God himself), but I have yet to meet an atheist who did not rely on faith to one degree or another.

Again, I believe that the real issue with "faith" is the emotional baggage assigned to it. If you ask an atheist WHY they believe the way they do, the word "reason" plays a huge role. Somehow, they see faith as the antithesis to reason, which it is not. Just ask them which is better, faith or reason, you might be surprised at just how adamant they are for the latter.

It would certainly seem that way at least with some Atheists especially when you consider how strongly they react when it's suggested that their Atheism could have anything to do with faith.

Nanda

Polyanna
Nowadays, many if not most atheists have an agenda concerning their atheism.

No. Many or most atheists that you meet on here may have an agenda, since this is a forum for debate and discussion of religion, but in the real world, many or most atheists just go about their business and don't bring it up in regular conversation.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
No. Many or most atheists that you meet on here may have an agenda, since this is a forum for debate and discussion of religion, but in the real world, many or most atheists just go about their business and don't bring it up in regular conversation.
I don't find that to be true at all. Of the 6 atheists that I know, all hold faith and churches in general in contempt.

Rolling_Stone

All of the assumptions involved in atheism require a severe lack of faith, in terms of the existence of a deity, comparing the real world to the written words espoused by the deity, and so forth.
Wrong. Implicit in atheism is the assumption--the faith--that matter-energy is all there is. This has already been shown ad nauseam and never refuted. Agnoticism is different, but off-topic.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I don't find that to be true at all. Of the 6 atheists that I know, all hold faith and churches in general in contempt.
You likely know more than 6 atheists.

I'm not sure if this is the case with you, but I've found that people tend to assume that those who aren't vocal about their beliefs think like they do.