• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism is a faith

Do you think Atheism counts as a faith

• yes

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • no

Votes: 74 75.5%

• Total voters

Fluffy

A fool
Scuba Pete said:
That's easy. A singular statement with no evidence and faulty reasoning is easy enough to produce. :D
I don't understand, that isn't what I asked for.

Scuba Pete said:
Make up your mind here! Either you want evidence or you don't! :D

However, there is plenty of "evidence" in this thread alone. Asking to produce MORE evidence is a red herring. Also, why the exclusion of reason here? Reason is just as important to understanding this as anything else.
I want evidence. However, I disagree that in those circumstances where there is no evidence to be had, we are only left with faith as I explained and justified in my second to last post.

I apologise for missing the evidence then. I am not asking for more evidence, I am just asking for evidence to sufficiently justify the proposition "Atheism is a faith" or in the case that evidence has already been provided and I have failed to see it, I am asking for this to be made more explicit for me.

I am not in favour of excluding reason. In fact I think that we have reason as an alternative to faith in those circumstances where evidence is lacking, again as I explained in my second to last post. Therefore, I do not believe that it is necessary to provide evidence that "God is non-existent" anymore than MoonWater needs to provide evidence that "Atheism is a faith" in order to show that either of us holds these statements due to faith. We both hold them based on reason.

ScubaPete said:
Again, why are you holding MoonWater to a higher level of proof than you hold atheism?
Because showing that your opponents argument is invalid is a valid way of defeating their argument. In this case, I have outlined the standard to which MoonWater expects an atheist to prove their position in order for it not to qualify as a faith, as I understand it. I am now saying that for this argument to be coherent, it must therefore be proven to the same level or otherwise MoonWater is saying nothing more than "I have faith that atheism is a faith" according to her own premises.

As it happens, I do not think that MoonWater should hold anything to this standard of proof because I don't think it is coherent. Therefore, I am not holding her to a higher standard but indicating that her argument's coherency relies on her holding it to such a standard.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
I don't understand, that isn't what I asked for.
Sure it is. You asked for this:
fluffy said:
please justify the proposition "Atheism is a faith" to the same extent as you expect an atheist to justify the proposition "There is no God".
Atheists need provide NO justification for their faith that "There is no God". In fact, this moves from an absense of belief to an affirmation of disbelief, which is just like my faith in the absense of WMDs in Iraq.
I want evidence.
Yet, you provide us with none. This is not fair.
However, I disagree that in those circumstances where there is no evidence to be had, we are only left with faith as I explained and justified in my second to last post.
There is also logic (reason) and seldom is there "no evidence": this usually means we disagree with the interpretation of the evidence at hand.
Because showing that your opponents argument is invalid is a valid way of defeating their argument.
I don't consider you an "opponent" but a friend.
In this case, I have outlined the standard to which MoonWater expects an atheist
Your premise is flawed. MoonWater has not asked you, or any atheist to prove the non-existence of God. In fact, he supposes that since you can not prove this non-existence beyond any reasonable doubt, you employ faith just as a theist does.

Fluffy

A fool
Heya MoonWater,
Sorry for missing your post.

Dealing with your first statement which states (to paraphrase slightly): Faith is belief that is not based on proof. Let us assume that we believe this statement to be true (that is, it is not merely a statement but also a proposition). Currently we have not presented any proof for this proposition. According to the proposition, if we hold any belief (including belief in the statement itself) without proof, then we are holding it according to faith. Currently, therefore, since the proposition is unproven, we must conclude that it is being held because of faith. Therefore, you are saying that you have faith that "faith is belief that is not based on proof.

Keeping that in mind, I will now turn to the relationship this premise has to your argument. You suggest that your premise constitutes evidence for your argument. However, as I have shown above, your premise, according to itself, is faith based and therefore, again according to itself, cannot constitute evidence.

I fully agree with both you and Scuba Pete that reason is important. However, I would also go further than this and say that it provides an alternative to faith and evidence when it comes to finding a justification for believing in something. It does this is through the field of logic which produces conclusions from premises in accordance with reason. For example, if I assert the definition "All single men are bachelors" then I am clearly not holding this to be true based on evidence or faith. In fact, I am holding it to be true because of reason (or more accurately 'principles of logic").

Now what are the implications of this for your first premise? Well, to reiterate again, this premise states that faith is belief that is not based on proof. You then go on to elaborate that you are not referring to "a proof" but evidence and facts. However, in the last paragraph I clearly indentified a third category of beliefs that are held due to reason and not due to evidence/proof or faith. Therefore, your premise is simply incorrect and the dictionary you got it from is stating a definition that is not coherent which, I might add, is a common problem for every day use dictionaries.

How then does this affect your main conclusion that "Atheism is a faith"? Well it doesn't directly. Atheism could still be faith based and your conclusion could still be true. However, it clearly shows that your argument is not valid and so you have not found a viable path to your conclusion. It also shows that whilst atheism might be a faith, an atheist may utilise evidence or reason or both in order to show that it is not. In other words an atheist does not need to provide evidence in order to demonstrate that atheism is not faith based.

Perhaps this still doesn't seem viable to you since, usually, reason is only employed in order to move from premises to conclusions not show the premises as true. If it is employed in justifying a premise then it does so by setting it as a conclusion to another argument with its own unsupported premises. However, you have already identified 1 category of proposition that is justified by reason without the need of this: definitions. Furthermore, as I state in my last post, reason can help us choose between 2 unevidenced arguments and it is this latter use of reason that allows us to conclude the nonexistence of god.

More specifically, if two arguments explain a given phenonmenon yet one raises more questions in its premises than the other then it is clearly less likely because it would require more evidence. To look at it another way, if two arguments require different amounts of evidence then it is more unlikely that evidence exists for the argument that requires more evidence by virtue of the fact that we have not found any evidence for either argument.

Hey Scuba Pete,
Sorry for not understanding this part beforehand. I think you are interpreting my phrasing other than I had intended it. My usage of the term "expect" is not meaning that which you or her believes is likely but which she has stated is reasonable. For example, I can expect my children to keep their rooms tidy even though the majority of children do not keep their rooms tidy. I am not suggesting that I think that outcome is likely but reasonable or due.

I disagree that an atheist does not need to provide any justification for his faith. If an atheist does not provide any justification for his belief then it becomes faith. Together we have all identified 2 forms of justification which are often combined. MoonWater identified one in the OP and I identified the other in post 259.

I do not understand why the fact that I desire evidence implies that if I do not provide some for some of my beliefs then this is unfair. I feel you are assuming that my desire for evidence implies that I believe that all of my beliefs should be supported by evidence when this is not the case (and I agree if it were the case then it would be both unfair and hypocritical). Evidence is great and so is reason. I desire them both. I believe that faith constitutes only those beliefs that are both unevidenced and unreasonable whereas beliefs that are either evidenced or reasonable are not faith based.

For reasons I have already stated (but I can talk about them again if you want) I consider belief in specific definitions of God which include the classic demiurge as well as any creator gods to be unreasonable. Therefore, until I encounter new evidence or reasoning, take the proposition that there is no God to be true.

Yes there is also reason as I stated in that post. However I disagree that there is seldom no "evidence". I can come up with a very long chain of propositions that have no evidence. For starters the existence of every single concept that has been disproven to exist via a priori reasoning. As I stated to you before when we debated what constituted evidence, evidence is not merely an attribute of a concept but a kind of attribute that specifies its relationship to another concept. Something cannot be evidence unless it is evidence for something else. Therefore, the status of something being evidence is given by virtue of the argument that utilises it being valid. There can be no evidence because an argument is invalid (ie the premises do not support anything and so cannot be evidence for the conclusion) or because the evidence itself simply does not cohere with reality.

I don't find the roles of opponent and friend to be mutually exclusive. In fact I find that a relationship with a person who fulfills either role is greatly improved when they fulfill both roles instead. The dominant role I generally assign anybody I debate with is "potential teacher" but in the context of my sentence, opponent seemed more clear.

A flaw is an invalid relationship between propositions. Propositions themselves cannot be flawed. Again I believe this comes down to an understanding of the word expect other than what I intended which I have already discussed above. In this case I meant that in order for atheism to not qualify as faith based, MoonWater expects atheists to conform to a specific standard which she outlined. I realise that she doesn't actually expect an atheist to be able to do this given the assertion she makes in the thread title but then I am using a different definition of the word expect as I explain above.

Scuba Pete

fluffy said:
I disagree that an atheist does not need to provide any justification for his faith. If an atheist does not provide any justification for his belief then it becomes faith.
The antithesis is true. For it to not be faith the "justification" must enter the realm of being proved. After all, the theist has justifications for why they believe, but it falls short of incontrovertible PROOF. If there is ANY uncertainty in the belief or disbelief then it indeed enters the realm of faith.

It is precisely when you defend your beliefs or disbeliefs that they become your FAITH.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
This is already the norm from many atheists. Can you have FAITH in the wrong thing? Sure.

By faith, our soldiers went to Iraq to discover WMDs. Unfortunately their faith was in a shrub that was not burning and so they were not only disappointed but killed by the score with even more Iraqis losing their lives.

By faith, I did not support the war, for I did not believe that there were WMDs in Iraq. Unfortunately, my disbelief in the existencene of WMDs has been proven out and it appears that the vast majority of Americans were deceived in their faith in WMDs.

Your faith can be a system of beliefs... or dis-beliefs. My dis-belief in WMDs has caused me to do many things.

I'm sorry Pete, but I don't see how your remarks on my post are connected to what I said. Could you elaborate?

Scuba Pete

I'm sorry Pete, but I don't see how your remarks on my post are connected to what I said. Could you elaborate?
Sunstone said:
but if you do, prepare yourself for being told your faith is non-transformative, doesn't change anyone, doesn't do much of anything.
Atheists tell me this about my faith all the time, and on this forum. It's already the NORM around here.

Did you have a problem understanding the REST of my post? I didn't think it at all obtuse.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Atheists tell me this about my faith all the time, and on this forum. It's already the NORM around here.

Yes, but if the faith of atheists and the faith of Christians is the same kind of faith, then what the atheists tell you becomes true.

Did you have a problem understanding the REST of my post? I didn't think it at all obtuse.

I think I understood it, Pete, I'm just lost as to how it connects with what I said.

Scuba Pete

Yes, but if the faith of atheists and the faith of Christians is the same kind of faith, then what the atheists tell you becomes true.
What? I don't understand your contention here.
I think I understood it, Pete, I'm just lost as to how it connects with what I said.
Possibly, the first sentence was directed to you, while the rest was germaine to the subject at hand.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
Fluffy it seems as though you are saying that it is more "reasonable" to be an atheist than a theist when by standards of available evidence both views are equally likely to be true. By your last paragraph stated to me however it could be concluded that theism, not atheism, would be more likely as in order to prove that any of the premises of Atheism are true one would have to travel to every corner of the universe and bring back evidence from every corner of the universe showing that God is well and truly not anywhere and therefore not existent in order to prove he's right. Meanwhile a theist may still have to travel to every corner of the universe but only needs to bring back evidence from ONE area of the universe that shows God is there and therefore well and truly exists in order to be right. In other words it would seem as though the atheist would require more evidence then the theist and by your reasoning theism would be the more "reasonable" belief. Also please keep in mind that while reason is a very important part of debate the answer the question of "what is reasonable varies from person to person. After all I imagine most, if not all, theists consider it reasonable that there is a "God" but we still call this belief a faith and it is widely accepted as a faith despite the fact that those who believe it consider it perfectly reasonable. I myself have thought it through and just don't see how the universe could have come into being without some sort of force or being to start it. I have also had other experiences and encounters that cause me to think it perfectly reasonable to believe that there is some sort of divine force or being or what not out there. By your argument then what I have and what all theists have is not faith either.

Fluffy

A fool
Heya Scuba Pete,
Okay I agree with your but this is not how proof was used in the OP. Beforehand, according to the OP, proof is something that is attainable (specifically on the basis of evidence) whereas now you are saying that proof is unattainable since certainty is not logically attainable and especially certainty from evidence is clearly not attainable. You are more in disagreement with the OP than I am even if you do reach the same conclusion by another route.

The difference between atheism and theism, according to your definition of faith, is therefore to what extent each relies on faith. I would still say that atheism relies on less faith than most kinds of theism. Deism for example appears to require an equal level of faith as does some forms of agnosticism.

Heya MoonWater,
Nearly. I am saying that atheism is currently more reasonable than most forms of theism. I don't think it was reasonable in the past (for example before the theory of evolution). I also don't think it is more reasonable than forms of theism that believe god did not create the universe.

If the universe being created by a god was as equally reasonable as the universe not being created by a god then yes, atheism would be unreasonable partially for the reason you state. However, if we can show that one thing is unreasonable then we don't need to search everywhere to show that it is unlikely. Furthermore, if a predicate of god places its existence at a particular point and we check that point and it is not there then we don't need to check everywhere else.

To the issue at hand, your argument can be quickly defeated if you consider the example of the married bachelor. I don't need to check every corner of the universe to conclude the married bachelors do not exist and, due to the argument below, I can do the same for a creator god although with a slightly lower degree of certainty.

Lets consider the question, how did the universe come to be? It is argued that there must have been some process which caused the universe to exist since the universe is very complex making such a process necessary. One theory suggests that god is this process. However, god himself is a very complex being. So in other words, to solve the mystery of the existence of one very complex thing, the theory proposes the unexplained existence of another complex thing. This theory clearly requires more evidence than the phenomena that it attempts to explain since now we need evidence for the existence of god (a problem equivilant to the original) and evidence that he is responsible for the creation of the universe (the initial problem).

In other words, the god hypothesis, as Dawkins describes it, doubles the unlikelihood of the original problem rather than lessening it. Therefore, it is more rational to conclude that the universe just sprang into being than that god created it.

What is reasonable (when referring to reason) does not vary from person to person unless we are looking at different schools of logic. Just because a person thinks that something is reasonable does not make it so and this can be confirmed or rejected by looking at the logical structure on which has been used.

Many theists do not base their belief in God on faith. In fact, as Harris points out, there appears to be a correlation between religious fundamentalism and justification. For example, creationism is a belief system that does not utilise faith but claims to provide justification for the existence of god. It only suffers from being wrong rather than meaningless and wrong.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
Fluffy
To say that the universe simply sprang into being would suggest that it is possible for something to be created from nothing which is, as far as I know, is a scientific improbability. Also if God is seperate from his/her/its/their own creation then yes it is feasable that he/she/etc. would be more complex however there are also many creation myths which depict the Earth being formed by the very bodies of a god or gods themselves. Which would mean that the universe isn't just God's creation but is God itself. It would then be feasable to state that God is only as complex as the universe itself and as we learn about the universe we learn about God as the two cannot be seperated. While I admit this is no more provable than any other idea of God it's still something one should consider. The statment that God is more complex than the universe is not necessarily true and there is also the possibility that learning about the universe teaches us about God in the process. In which case the two are equal in complexity and one in the same, thus "more evidence" is not a necesity. Also of course you don't need to go everywhere in the universe to prove that there are no married bachelors as a married bachelor would be a contradiction in terms. However when it comes to God one must look EVERYWHERE as this is not about contradicting terms but existence or nonexistence and the only way to prove something is nonexistent is to go everywhere in the universe while to prove something is existent one must only travel until such a thing is found. This may involve going everywhere in the universe but not necesarily.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
To say that the universe simply sprang into being would suggest that it is possible for something to be created from nothing which is, as far as I know, is a scientific improbability.
I'm not at all sure what you mean by "scientific improbability", but I suspect it has little to do with science or math. On the other hand, it's a distortion to claim that comologists "say that the universe simply sprang into being".

You might benefit from and appreciate Elegant Universe.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
I'm not at all sure what you mean by "scientific improbability", but I suspect it has little to do with science or math. On the other hand, it's a distortion to claim that comologists "say that the universe simply sprang into being".

You might benefit from and appreciate Elegant Universe.

I never said cosmologists said it I was responding to what Fluffy(who did say those words)said.

That book looks interesting and I think I've actually seen it in my bookstore, I'll have to pick up a copy.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
I appreciate your willingness to do so, MoonWater.

I am actually quite interested in things like string theory and quantum mechanics and other sciences just as much as I am interested in religion and debate.

Jeremiah

Whoa! Speaking of gobbledygook here is a whole mess of it.

Here I am rooting around in my books and I run across a passage that I felt touched the subject on hand. But now I realize that to post a comment on Atheism is a Faith would be off topic.

Bummer deal it was a good passage too. :sad4:

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
Whoa! Speaking of gobbledygook here is a whole mess of it.

Here I am rooting around in my books and I run across a passage that I felt touched the subject on hand. But now I realize that to post a comment on Atheism is a Faith would be off topic.

Bummer deal it was a good passage too. :sad4:

Just because the thread has veered a little away from the original topic doesn't mean you can't make a post about the original topic. Go ahead and put it up.