• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism is a faith

Do you think Atheism counts as a faith

• yes

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • no

Votes: 74 75.5%

• Total voters

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Since these represent concepts and do not describe God, I don't think any of them apply to the topic at hand.
I agree. If we were to take definition #5 as valid, my own existence would be enough to convince any atheist to change his or her mind. :D

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
Taking them one at a time then,
Since the concept of a perfect, omnipotent, omniscient originator and ruler of the universe is logically impossible, how does it require any faith to say it doesn't exist?
This is basically what the Greeks and Romans believed and is simply an example of "god of the gaps". While we have no clue how gravity works, I haven't heard anyone suggest (except in jest) that there is a god holding us down. Why should it require any faith to believe that the rest of nature is any different?

Obviously, you are also opposed to any alternative "intelligent falling" theories being promoted in some circles....

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
This is basically what the Greeks and Romans believed and is simply an example of "god of the gaps". While we have no clue how gravity works, I haven't heard anyone suggest (except in jest) that there is a god holding us down. Why should it require any faith to believe that the rest of nature is any different?
Not necessarily. As a symbol of said natural force, the god could represent its animate nature ("spirit").

rojse

RF Addict
Depends on which flavor of atheism you mean.

I can understand why people that are vehemently atheists would be viewed as having a faith-based beliefs - they are unwilling and unable to consider other perspectives than their own, or that they might be wrong - but I don't think that there are many atheists that are like that. I think that most atheists take a default position of atheism, but are ready to reconsider their when circumstances or the situation changes.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I can understand why people that are vehemently atheists would be viewed as having a faith-based beliefs - they are unwilling and unable to consider other perspectives than their own, or that they might be wrong - but I don't think that there are many atheists that are like that. I think that most atheists take a default position of atheism, but are ready to reconsider their when circumstances or the situation changes.
I would call those "fundie atheists," and while they do exist, they're not who I was referring to.

Strong atheists actively believe there is no God. How is this not faith?

Luminous

non-existential luminary
Atheism( I mean Agodism even if its not Atheism) is a faith. the faith/believe that one is not wrong.
Atheism--- against religion
Agodism--- believe there are no gods

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
You probably believe there is no Santa, Easter Bunny, magical pixies, etc. How faith does it take you to not believe those things?
Invalid comparisons. There is evidence that such things do not exist. The same cannot be said of God.

Besides, you're the one who implied that strong atheism isn't atheism. I still want to know what you think it is.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
StripperClown, can we agree that to believe in something without evidence is faith?

Luminous

non-existential luminary
You probably believe there is no Santa, Easter Bunny, magical pixies, etc. How faith does it take you to not believe those things?
And i can plainly state that that is my believe. how knows there could be Santa(though there is clear evidence that he was invented). but i believe he doesn't exist. though maybe by coinsidence a real one could.

Invalid comparisons. There is evidence that such things do not exist. The same cannot be said of God.

Besides, you're the one who implied that strong atheism isn't atheism. I still want to know what you think it is.

But to many many people out there, there really is no real proof of God. There is no real proof for God's existence either. Atheists generally aren't going to believe in a God with out proper evidence. You don't assume something is with out proper reasoning that it's actually there. I could say I have a real purple leprechaun in my room. You wouldn't assume it's there unless it was shown to you would you?

There are plenty against religion who aren't atheists. You have your Humanists, Trans-humanists, and scientific groups, and others generally against religion. They don't necessarily have to be Atheists. If they happen to be Atheists so be it.