• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism is a faith

Do you think Atheism counts as a faith

• yes

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • no

Votes: 74 75.5%

• Total voters

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
I know for a fact that my cat worships me and the ground I walk on.

Bwahahahahahaha!
Bwahahahahahahahaahahahahahaha!
(Even my cat is laughing at that one!)

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I would make the claim that atheists who make the stance of atheism at least have faith in the information that leads to the stance. For those atheists that have never had the choice, the matter of faith is irrelevant.

Papersock

Lucid Dreamer
Let's say that atheism is an assumption, and so is a belief in god because there is no proof for or against the existence of a god.
I think a belief in something with no proof is a greater assumption than not to believe in something with no proof.

Papersock

Lucid Dreamer
I would make the claim that atheists who make the stance of atheism at least have faith in the information that leads to the stance. For those atheists that have never had the choice, the matter of faith is irrelevant.

Good point.
But I would hope one does not simply take information completely by faith without challenging the information to make sure it is true, or nearest to truth as is possible.
Still, atheism, then, is not a faith, although an atheist might have faith.

Papersock

Lucid Dreamer
Good grief! :rolleyes: Not all 'assumptions' are created equal.

Was that not the point of the second part of my post?
Maybe I'm not very good at explaining myself...:(

Anyway, the sentence you quoted was exactly what some theists were saying.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Why are theists so invested in characterizing atheism as a faith or a religion. It exudes insecurity, like awkward adolescents whining:
"I know you are but what am I?"​
It truly does impress me as unseemly.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
Some of them might and we just don't know it. But most animals do not have the cognitive ability to believe in much of anything. Unless you have a very wide definition of the word believe. I doubt very much that bacteria are "aware" of anything in the same sense we are.
And I did not say that animals are inanimate objects. I said that inanimate objects do not believe in god. Do I have to present proof of that?

Sure why not:D. Do you also have proof that animals do not have the "cognitive ability" to believe, Do you have proof that belief even has anything to do with cognitive ability? If there's one thing I learned from math(other than what an enormous headache it is) it's that when you get down to the nitty gritty pretty much everything we hold to be true or not true, real or not real, etc. is based on assumptions. The statement "if A=B and B=C then A=C" is considered a true statement. Is this statment logical? Yes. Is it provable or has it been proven? No (if it has then please provide the proof). Following this line of thought one realizes that just about everyhting(some would argue yes, everything) is based on faith. Even a statment as simple as "that's a rock" could be considered a faith based statment . After all could you really proof that the object is in fact a rock. All your senses may tell you it is but how do you know your aren't experiencing some sort of illusion, how do you know your senses aren't being fooled? All scientific scrutiny might tell you it's a rock but how do you know the scrutiny isn't flawed? Now granted if my senses tell me it's a rock then unless evidence is presented to the contrary I'll accept that it is a rock. My point is that there is a great deal of "truth" that is faith based(because there is no proof behind it), more than most(if not all) people realize.

Papersock

Lucid Dreamer
Sure why not:D. Do you also have proof that animals do not have the "cognitive ability" to believe, Do you have proof that belief even has anything to do with cognitive ability? If there's one thing I learned from math(other than what an enormous headache it is) it's that when you get down to the nitty gritty pretty much everything we hold to be true or not true, real or not real, etc. is based on assumptions. The statement "if A=B and B=C then A=C" is considered a true statement. Is this statment logical? Yes. Is it provable or has it been proven? No (if it has then please provide the proof). Following this line of thought one realizes that just about everyhting(some would argue yes, everything) is based on faith. Even a statment as simple as "that's a rock" could be considered a faith based statment . After all could you really proof that the object is in fact a rock. All your senses may tell you it is but how do you know your aren't experiencing some sort of illusion, how do you know your senses aren't being fooled? All scientific scrutiny might tell you it's a rock but how do you know the scrutiny isn't flawed? Now granted if my senses tell me it's a rock then unless evidence is presented to the contrary I'll accept that it is a rock. My point is that there is a great deal of "truth" that is faith based(because there is no proof behind it), more than most(if not all) people realize.

That's basically what I meant when earlier in this thread I said
Papersock said:
Everything has some possibility of being wrong. In some cases it's a very small possibility, however.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
Why are theists so invested in characterizing atheism as a faith or a religion. It exudes insecurity, like awkward adolescents whining:
"I know you are but what am I?"​
It truly does impress me as unseemly.

Why does anyone invest in characterizing anything? i'm here because I like to debate. Are there "better" things I could be doing with my time? Certainly, but it doesn't change the fact that I am here nor does it change the fact that I am participating in this debate because I find it stimulating and fun. Besides ask enough people and no matter what your doing there will always be someone who thinks that there are "better" things you could do with your time. Because "better" is a matter of opinion.

Scuba Pete

Why are theists so invested in characterizing atheism as a faith or a religion.
Hmnnn, perhaps they are galvanized by the condescension and the mocking displayed by many atheists. Perhaps it's an attempt to level the playing field and demand some intellectual honesty.

But your question brings up yet another: Why do atheists deny their faith so vociferously?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Hmnnn, perhaps they are galvanized by the condescension and the mocking displayed by many atheists. Perhaps it's an attempt to level the playing field and demand some intellectual honesty.
I agree that it's an attempt to level the playing field.

But your question brings up yet another: Why do atheists deny their faith so vociferously?
Before I respond, may I ask if you accept the definition of faith offered by CARM?

Rolling_Stone

Why are theists so invested in characterizing atheism as a faith or a religion.
Because it comes with assumptions that demand faith. Often the assumptions are unacknowledged, as this thread proves. Unacknowledged assumptions proves inattentiveness, intellectual dishonesty or a kind of insanity.

Scuba Pete

CARM? You lost me there. Perhaps it is best if you restate the definition, or predicate your response on that definition.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Good point.
But I would hope one does not simply take information completely by faith without challenging the information to make sure it is true, or nearest to truth as is possible.

This is true, though really it starts by having a faith in our senses, which is both natural and risky.

Still, atheism, then, is not a faith, although an atheist might have faith.

I think I agree with this. I might assert that since I make the assumption that information is taken on faith when a claim is made, anything concluded from that information is faith-based. But I don't think I want to make that assertion...yet.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
Because it comes with assumptions that demand faith. Often the assumptions are unacknowledged, as this thread proves. Unacknowledged assumptions proves inattentiveness, intellectual dishonesty or a kind of insanity.

I wish I could speak so simply and eloquently.:bow: But no I always have to go into these lengthy descriptions that could be more easily displayed and understood in a couple of sentences:cover:.