• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism is not a default position

Curious George

Veteran Member
No it isn't. We don't "choose" what we believe. We are either convinced of a proposition or we are currently unconvinced of a proposition. You cannot "choose" to find a proposition true. We are born not finding the proposition "God exists" to be true. Ergo, we are born atheists.
Equivocation again. Born not believing is different from not believing after confrontation.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Hmmm.... give me a moment.....
Eternity in heaven with Someone Great (enough) to guard my peace and of those around me.....
Or the chaos souls screaming for order and peace with no one able to do so.......
Or lay in The solitude of a grave and rot in the eternal darkness of death.....

or maybe you have one more idea....
Thief no one disputes that you want what you say is true, to be true. But wanting does not make true.

Their is an old adage

Want in one hand....nvm.

Cheers thief

A photon causing the birth of two particles. Or are the two particles causing the birth of the photon?

You cannot say, unless you view those things from a vantage point not in thermodynamical equilibrium.

Therefore, if the universe was not in a thermodynamical context at its birth, you cannot really say if God is the cause or the effect of the universe. Unless, you beg the question, of course ;)

Ciao

- viole
What's origin of thermodynamics laws?

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Another take on the OP...

The idea of atheism is relatively unique. In practice, it is a stance taken as a reaction to a common belief. That context: "reaction to common belief" is unusual.

There are only atheists because there are so many theists.

He already provided the hypothetical causes. To claim that God must be the cause is to make an assumption based on faith. Nothing wrong with that, but it is an assumption.
In fact you can assume that this reasoning is like mine. But, what would give us a response for the cause of universe? ( if my english fails it's because my native language is portuguese). This is the same question I'm doing, nobody gives me a convincing answer.

jonathan180iq

Poseidon in fact is a creation of people minds at that time. Universe comes from nothing? All the physical, biological, social laws etc, comes from nothing?
Au contraire, mon frere. Before Poseidon, lived the Titans. And before the Titans, lived Gaia and then Uranus. Before Gaia, lived Aether, the god of heavenly light.
So, you see, the Universe is merely the effect, the Cause is the great god Aether...

You can invent whatever story that you like, make up as many characters as you like, give them whatever personality traits or qualities that you like - but the fact is that you have created nothing more than a self-efficating mythology.

Play this cause and effect game all you want. But unless you can explain the cause of the cause, then you've got nothing. God must also have a cause, by your own rules...
What is the cause of the God effect?

In fact you can assume that this reasoning is like mine. But, what would give us a response for the cause of universe? ( if my english fails it's because my native language is portuguese). This is the same question I'm doing, nobody gives me a convincing answer.
Says that God doesn't exists is based on faith. There's logical reason on God's existence as I wrote before.

Curious George

Veteran Member
How are they different? Aren't they both not believing?
Lol, yes they are both not believing.

But one is non belief because of inability and one is non belief because of rejection.

If you did not eat because you had no food and someone else did not eat while they had no barrier to food, would these be the same because both did not eat?

Or would they be different because one chose not to eat?

Au contraire, mon frere. Before Poseidon, lived the Titans. And before the Titans, lived Gaia and then Uranus. Before Gaia, lived Aether, the god of heavenly light.
So, you see, the Universe is merely the effect, the Cause is the great god Aether...

You can invent whatever story that you like, make up as many characters as you like, give them whatever personality traits or qualities that you like - but the fact is that you have created nothing more than a self-efficating mythology.

Play this cause and effect game all you want. But unless you can explain the cause of the cause, then you've got nothing. God must also have a cause, by your own rules...
What is the cause of the God effect?

A God name is irrelevant for me. People from all times knows intuitively about theirs Creator. As a finite individual I don't have how to say more that God is its own cause. Anyway, what's the cause of you, me and humanity, for example? Nothing?

jonathan180iq

Do you have evidence of inexistence of Yahweh?
No.
I'll ask you, what evidence could there possibly be for things that do not exist? By definition, things that do not exist would have no evidence, correct?
I also do not have evidence of the inexistence of unicorns, Bigfoot, Anal-probing aliens, Santa Claus, Faeries, Fire-breathing dragons, Magic Space Wizards, Flying elephants, or Superman...
I assume you don't believe in those obviously fictitious characters. But why not? If your only support for your faith system is that there is no evidence for their non-existence, then why don't you apply that same logic to other fictitious characters? I mean, if you don't have evidence that they don't exist, shouldn't you believe in them equally?

No.
I'll ask you, what evidence could there possibly be for things that do not exist? By definition, things that do not exist would have no evidence, correct?
I also do not have evidence of the inexistence of unicorns, Bigfoot, Anal-probing aliens, Santa Claus, Faeries, Fire-breathing dragons, Magic Space Wizards, Flying elephants, or Superman...
I assume you don't believe in those obviously fictitious characters. But why not? If your only support for your faith system is that there is no evidence for their non-existence, then why don't you apply that same logic to other fictitious characters? I mean, if you don't have evidence that they don't exist, shouldn't you believe in them equally?

I already wrote: God is the primary cause of everything, nobody needs to accept it, it's just logical for me. What primary intelligence would have give origin to the universe? I have my answer. Denying something that doesn't exists is not the same of denying some logical thought.

jonathan180iq

If you did not eat because you had no food and someone else did not eat while they had no barrier to food, would these be the same because both did not eat?

Of course they are different, but the fact still remains that both people did not eat. Their motivations don't change that fact.

As a finite individual I don't have how to say more that God is its own cause.
So, admittedly, you don't follow your own rules when it comes to god.

Anyway, what's the cause of you, me and humanity, for example? Nothing?
I have no idea. As far as anyone knows, something has always existed.
And, unlike the pious, I am not ashamed to admit that nor do I need to invent fantasy novels in order to cover up that admission.