• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism is not a default position

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
It isn't confusing, and in fact it is actually pretty comical. But you state that

which means either polytheists aren't theists or that you believe in some gods, because you have defined polytheists as theists and theists as atheists who "believe in one more God" than you do, but polytheists believe in many gods. So unless you believe in many gods, then theists who are (according to you) polytheists don't believe in just one more god than you but many.

This is hilarious. So polytheists are both atheists and theists, because polytheists are theists and all atheists are theists.

So when you referred to "usage" earlier as what is important, you clearly meant your usage because you obviously ignore actual usage. Asserting that atheism is merely a "lack of belief" I thought was bad enough, but this is incredible: for you, polytheists are theists who must be atheists and you assert "usage" is important. Amazing.
Your reading comprehension is just appalling. LOL.

Yes, theists and polytheists are atheist in relation to the Gods they don't believe in. And theist in relation to those they do.

How such a simple thing so confuses though I can only speculate. You make an artform of obfuscation.

atanu

Premium Member
...The same dictionary states that that atheism means
"1. the doctrine or belief that there is no God.
2. disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings."

That is what is interesting. For a person who claims to lack a belief, the atheist goes to great lengths to ignore this main definition and impose various interpreted meanings to the term "Lack of belief", as if they have successfully emptied their minds of all contents relevant to this point.

Can any rational person propose that their minds are "full of lack of belief" only? Or that their minds are empty of all concepts and arguments related to presence or absence of deity?

You think a little more buddy - if your argument were true, who created the creator?

Creator wasn't created by any other being. I can't admit a universe made by nothing. Give me an answer, if God doesn't exists give the cause of universe, including you and me and this humanity, etc?

So you explain the existence of the universe with the existence of a god but you can't explain why this god exists in the first place other than you need him to explain the existence of the universe?

I told you, you don't even know how to explain your own existence, how can you explain existence of a little atom, or an particle of a subatomic particle? Your in an logical closed and unsolved loop.

ArtieE

I told you, you don't even know how to explain your own existence, how can you explain existence of a little atom, or an particle of a subatomic particle? Your in an logical closed and unsolved loop.
To explain the existence of the universe by claiming that a god created it when you can't explain why this god should exist in the first place is absolutely useless. It makes much more sense to look for a natural explanation for the existence of the universe than have to try to look for an explanation why this alleged god of yours exists instead of not existing.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
To explain the existence of the universe by claiming that a god created it when you can't explain why this god should exist in the first place is absolutely useless. It makes much more sense to look for a natural explanation for the existence of the universe than have to try to look for an explanation why this alleged god of yours exists instead of not existing.
Explanations, excuses, reasons and rationalizations are all part of the "creation" or natural world that you're proposing be explained. Why should a part of the creation be satisfactory to explain the creator?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Ignorant is not the same as not being able to believe. It's just on a par with having nothing to believe.
I'm sorry, but anyone who is "ignorant of a specific concept" or are "without the ability to believe" both "lack belief in that concept" necessarily. There is no requirement for awareness of a concept to lack belief in that concept. Most, I would say, who lack belief in any concept are merely unaware of that concept.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I'm sorry, but anyone who is "ignorant of a specific concept" or are "without the ability to believe" both "lack belief in that concept" necessarily. There is no requirement for awareness of a concept to lack belief in that concept. Most, I would say, who lack belief in any concept are merely unaware of that concept.
That's a very atheist depiction. "God" isn't just a concept to those who believe.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Right. One either believes in the existence of God or gods (theism), or one does not believe in the existence of God or gods (atheism).
I wasn't clear. I meant that if atheism pits itself as opposed to a concept, then it's not pitting itself against theism, which is about a god.