• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism is not a default position

Jumi

I assume they can neither believe nor disbelieve in it, as there is nothing for them to believe or disbelieve, i.e. no proposition.
So you mean when someone is educated about definitions of certain god group, they will form beliefs A(believes), B(disbelieves) forming a group for example of six gods {B, A, B, B, B, A} but before they hear about the definition they do not believe and you take this to be different because they have some definition. Their lack of belief in the same deity group is {C, C, C, C, C, C}.

If I tell you about a new god(one that my ancestors might have worshipped) Ilmatar what is your state of belief before and after hearing about it? Has it shifted from C to B?

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
One hundred and sixty one posts to hear that there's nothing out there to hear.
~
'mud

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
So you mean when someone is educated about definitions of certain god group, they will form beliefs A(believes), B(disbelieves) forming a group for example of six gods {B, A, B, B, B, A} but before they hear about the definition they do not believe and you take this to be different because they have some definition. Their lack of belief in the same deity group is {C, C, C, C, C, C}.
I don't know what that means, so I don't know if that's what I mean. But I can confess that I've never thought that.

If I tell you about a new god(one that my ancestors might have worshipped) Ilmatar what is your state of belief before and after hearing about it? Has it shifted from C to B?
My state of belief before hearing about it isn't.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Until you can present some credible evidence, they're nothing more than myths.
Too bad.

and with all of your experience discussing religion.....you know...
there will never be a photo, a fingerprint, an equation or repeatable experiment.
no proof.

as for evidence....
Look up at the stars and consider the earth and the life upon it.

if this fails as evidence......for you.....too bad.

Aquitaine

and with all of your experience discussing religion.....you know...
there will never be a photo, a fingerprint, an equation or repeatable experiment.
no proof.

as for evidence....
Look up at the stars and consider the earth and the life upon it.

if this fails as evidence......for you.....too bad.

Feel free to believe such myths.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Time to lay this rhinoceros to rest. If you accept that atheism describes the person who has no interest in, no knowledge about, or no particular belief about god, then atheism cannot be described as a "default position" on a scale of beliefs.

Diid.
i don't accept two of those things .

atanu

Premium Member
They simply lack belief. It is a fact that they do. You lack belief in everything that you don't know about.

Babies have not encountered any proposition nor made any stand wrt the proposition regarding absence or presence of deity.

atanu

Premium Member
For me, atheism was the default.
I was born not believing in gods.
When I learned of various religions, I learned of some specific gods I still didn't believe in.
The only thing that changed was discovering the vast diversity & complexity of supernatural beliefs.

In the context, for a baby, the words believing or disbelieving cannot apply. The position for a baby and an ignorant atheist like you would be "neither belief nor disbelief".

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
In the context, for a baby, the words believing or disbelieving cannot apply. The position for a baby and an ignorant atheist like you would be "neither belief nor disbelief".
I say that "disbelieving" can range from passive not believing to active not believing.

atanu

Premium Member
Atheism is the denial of God, a Secular approach is basically "non-religious" and doesn't' deny a deity, nor posit one.....

Until you can present some credible evidence, they're nothing more than myths.
Too bad.

Feel free to believe such myths.

The first claim is ".. Does not deny and does not posit... ", even claiming a baby like innocence/ignorance. Yet there is such emphatic opinion that what other person believes is only 'MYTH'. Ha ha.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
For me, atheism was the default.
I was born not believing in gods.
When I learned of various religions, I learned of some specific gods I still didn't believe in.
The only thing that changed was discovering the vast diversity & complexity of supernatural beliefs.
What this tells me is that you never learned "disbelief" in your schooling.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Meaning it has independently developed in the majority of humans over time?
No. Of course, it HAS developed over time, but that wasn't what I meant nor what the literature refers to. After all, atheism didn't exist so far as we can tell for most of human existence (the Greek atheos didn't mean a disbelief in gods, as this was unthinkable).