• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism people have a belief "God does not exist "

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I believe whatever position/stance they take it will remains a belief in relation to G-d, believing is a primary natural behavior of humans, they only move from one belief to another belief with or without evidence.
Regards
That is really lending way too much significance to belief, @paarsurrey . And, for that matter, to God.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
The truthful revealed religion people have the belief "God exists" and
Atheism people have a belief "God does not exist ", nevertheless both have a belief. Right, please?

Regards

Sure, but to frame that same belief in the positive: it's that the universe and life in it can be explained by naturalistic/spontaneous mechanisms.

A theist is skeptical of this claim, they are a-naturalists in this sense. But they generally are more comfortable with acknowledging the positive assertion- God

Kirran

Premium Member
Whatever the stance they have whether it is 'Agnostic Atheism' or 'Gnostic Atheism' or any point in between them, it remains a belief in relation to "God doesn't exist" (and or "God exists"), none of them make science. Right, please?
Regards

No, wrong. Re-read. Maybe even google!

QuestioningMind

Atheism people have a belief "God does not exist ", nevertheless both have a belief. Right, please?

Regards

No. Atheists have not been presented with sufficient evidence to believe that any god does exist. It leaves the door open to the possibility that someday someone might actually be able to present verifiable evidence for the claim. Just that without such evidence there is no good reason to believe that the claim is true.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Disbelief is not belief... Observe the dis
If there is positive one or +1, there is negative one or -1. Right, please? Same way in relation to God, there is a positive belief or there is a negative belief or disbelief, in both cases it is a form of belief, and none of them becomes science. Right, please?
Believing is a primary natural behavior of humans since inception.
Regards

QuestioningMind

It's not lack of evidence why you don't believe. It's lack of belief that makes you need evidence. The lack is not outside but in you.

Yes, it is a lack of belief that requires evidence. Because unless belief is based upon verifiable evidence then it is worthless. You can believe absolutely anything - even diametrically opposed positions - as long as you don't require verifiable evidence to support the claim.

What value is there in believing something without verifiable evidence?

Last edited:

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

Regards
That is correctly worded for the monotheistic god.

I have in the past argued against many notions of what atheism means, but ultimately if "God" is absent from your worldview, you fit the bill of not believing in "God."

QuestioningMind

Regards

Let's see if I can make this clear by using an example.

You and I walk into a room neither of us has ever been in before. In this room is a table and on that table is a large glass jar filled to the brim with marbles. I take one look at the jar and without providing any verifiable evidence state,"I believe that there are definitely an odd number of marbles in that jar." You look at the same jar and say,"I do not believe that there are definitely an odd number of marbles in that jar."

Now, when you state that you do not believe that there ARE an odd number of marbles in the jar, is that the same as you stating that you believe that there ARE an even number of marbles in the jar? The answer is,NO, you are NOT. Stating that you don't believe that there are definitely ARE an odd number of marbles is NOT the same as stating you believe that there definitely ARE an even number of them. What you are saying is that there isn't sufficient evidence to reach either conclusion and that there won't be until you can actually count the number of marbles in the jar.

The same holds true for a theist's claim that they definitely believe that a god exists. The atheist is simply stating that without verifiable evidence that a god does exist,he/she has no reason to believe that one actually does. That lack of belief that there is a god is not equal to a belief that there isn't a god ,in just the same way that your lack of belief that there definitely are an odd number of marbles in the jar is NOT an assertion that you believe that there are instead an even number.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Whatever the stance they have whether it is 'Agnostic Atheism' or 'Gnostic Atheism' or any point in between them, it remains a belief in relation to "God doesn't exist" (and or "God exists"), none of them make science. Right, please?
Regards
None of them make science, anyway. ;)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
If there is positive one or +1, there is negative one or -1. Right, please? Same way in relation to God, there is a positive belief or there is a negative belief or disbelief, in both cases it is a form of belief, and none of them becomes science. Right, please?
Regards

Don't ya just love these guys who try to impose their belief system on what they cannot or refuse to understand?

Wrong, there is no belief so i will repeat "Disbelief is not belief... Observe the dis"

Jesster

Friendly skeptic
Premium Member
Regards
That's a false dichotomy. What if my "belief" is 0 on your scale? That means no belief either way.

Bob the Unbeliever

You do not know what I believe.
Only I know what I believe.
Why would I believe anything without evidence??
The lack of evidence is why I do not accept many things; gods, leprechauns, fairies, Loch Ness Monster, Yetis, etc.

Ooooh! I'll take "things for which there is no evidence", Alex, for $20.

More: chupacabras, zombies, vampires, dragons, chimeras, garden gnomes, non-garden gnomes*, the fountain of youth, the One Ring, unicorns, Pegasus, the get of a Pegasus**, ....

.... and Tinkerbell.

* (a completely separate species-- do NOT get these confused... just don't .... ;) )

** (even more rare than a Pegasus, is their get. Not to be confused with flying unicorn, a sub-species of unicorns that are never respected by non-flying cousins, due to the fact, that they can't get no respect)

Bob the Unbeliever

Regards

Wrong, please.

If your glass is empty, is it correct to say it's full of empty?

Being an atheist is like that: empty glass, with respect to belief in gods.

Cassandra

You do not know what I believe.
Only I know what I believe.
Why would I believe anything without evidence??
The lack of evidence is why I do not accept many things; gods, leprechauns, fairies, Loch Ness Monster, Yetis, etc.
What is your view on dark matter and dark energy?

By the way pity you do not believe in the fairies. Conan Doyle did.
We Pagans regard them as the cause of the expanding universe.

Shushersbedamned

Yes, it is a lack of belief that requires evidence. Because unless belief is based upon verifiable evidence then it is worthless. You can believe absolutely anything - even diametrically opposed positions - as long as you don't require verifiable evidence to support the claim.

What value is there in believing something without verifiable evidence?
What you call evidence I have no name for because it is nothing.