• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheist Ads on New York Subway

CarlinKnew

Thought I would share:

Atheist ads to adorn New York subway stations - CNN.com

Opinions? Thoughts? General snarky comments?
I'm wondering why CNN put an image on that article that reads "NO GOD - NO GUILT - DEBAPTIZE NOW", when the real advertisement on the subway stations reads, "A MILLION NEW YORKERS ARE GOOD WITHOUT GOD, ARE YOU?" CNN's image is juvenile, unintelligent, and evangelical, while the actual advertisement gently raises awareness. Is CNN trying to make atheists look bad?

Last edited:

CarlinKnew

I'm wondering why CNN put an image on that article that reads "NO GOD - NO GUILT - DEBAPTIZE NOW", when the real advertisement on the subway stations reads, "A MILLION NEW YORKERS ARE GOOD WITHOUT GOD, ARE YOU?" CNN's image is juvenile, unintelligent, and evangelical, while the actual advertisement gently raises awareness. Is CNN trying to make atheists look bad?
If so, it seems to be working. As demonstrated in this thread, the casual reader glances at the image and assumes it's the actual advertisement.

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
If so, it seems to be working. As demonstrated in this thread, the casual reader glances at the image and assumes it's the actual advertisement.

I actually could not care wich ad they used..
My "Silly little atheist club needs more members?" remains valid.
If it was a religious advertising, my feeling about it would be exactly the same.

Have I ever mention how much I hate the news networks ?

blackout

Violet.
I only just skimmed the article quickly,
but did not find anything about HOW one goes about debaptizing.

Is there a st John the debaptizer walking the subway platforms
wearing sandals and eating cockroaches?
Does he pour flat Pepsi over the unrepentants' heads?
In whose name does he debaptise? Darwin?

It's funny.
It's like... Your not a TRUE athiest unless you DE-Baptise!

But as Carlin pointed out, maybe that was just a CNN thing.
Probably, cause I saw nothing else about it when I skimmed the article.
The media's always busy trying to make you see what isn't really there.
And they are exceedingly good at it.

Last edited:

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Great idea. I don't know whether the ad in the photo is theirs, but it's almost very good. I think "No God, No Guilt" works, but I'd leave out the "Debaptize now" part. The one they mention in the article is pretty good, "A million New Yorkers are good without God. Are you?". I think they have the right idea, which is to get across the notion that it's OK not to believe in God, and that you can still be a good person without that belief.

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
LOL, with all those clouds the commercial looks more like an add for God instead.. :p

atheistad_20091019144449_320_240.JPG

Maybe it's because I am allready atheist, or because it is pretty normal being an atheist in the Netherlands, but all this poster does to me is "Ohh please.."
Replace the "without" with "with" and the poster is exactly the same poster..

blackout

Violet.
It's way fluffy.
and what's the point of the "Are you?"

Debaptize was much funnier actually.
I've grown to like it over the last 5 minutes.
how about *"jon" the debaptizer*
with prostitutes at his feet.

Athiests aren't good! They're guilt free. :p

These ads are gunna ruin your image.
We won't know who'se who anymore.

rojse

RF Addict
It's way fluffy.
and what's the point of the "Are you?"

Debaptize was much funnier actually.
I've grown to like it over the last 5 minutes.
how about *"jon" the debaptizer*
with prostitutes at his feet.

Athiests aren't good! They're guilt free. :p

These ads are gunna ruin your image.
We won't know who'se who anymore.

UltraViolet has a good point - what's the point of advertising the strengths of atheism if we don't tell everyone about the depravity and debauchery?

rojse

RF Addict
As long as people/organizations of various religious beliefs can do the same, I see no issue. It's freedom of speech. One might question if indeed 1000000 people are indeed really good ----- let alone good without GOD.

I question the fallacial idea of appealing to numbers, as if the majority consensus was ever a good way of deciding upon social, moral or theological concepts.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I question the fallacial idea of appealing to numbers, as if the majority consensus was ever a good way of deciding upon social, moral or theological concepts.

Actually, I think the idea behind using that number is to say "Look, it's OK. There are plenty of others that don't believe and are perfectly normal, good people." It's just an attempt to make people feel more comfortable with their beliefs, not to tell them they're right because so many other people agree with them.

Man of Faith

One problem that I will point out is the add doesn't say who they are comparing themselves to when they say they can be good. I assume they are comparing themselves to other humans. "At least I'm not a murder". Here is the problem, is God grading on a curve or is there a standard to adhered to before we can call ourselves good. For example, if I break a few or a lot of the ten commandments, can I still call myself good?

If the Bible says that all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God, then is it even useful to compare ourselves to others? Jesus reportedly said "he who has no sin cast the first stone". Which means we are all guilty, not some guilty and some good.

dorsk188

One-Eyed in Blindsville
This thread demonstrates exactly why atheists can never get anything done as a group. It's like herding cats, only the cats make fun of you.

According to the Bible... we are all guilty, not some guilty and some good.
I think this is the best advertisement for atheism I've ever seen.