• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheist Ads on New York Subway

Tristesse

One problem that I will point out is the add doesn't say who they are comparing themselves to when they say they can be good. I assume they are comparing themselves to other humans. "At least I'm not a murder". Here is the problem, is God grading on a curve or is there a standard to adhered to before we can call ourselves good. For example, if I break a few or a lot of the ten commandments, can I still call myself good?

If the Bible says that all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God, then is it even useful to compare ourselves to others? Jesus reportedly said "he who has no sin cast the first stone". Which means we are all guilty, not some guilty and some good.

Actually yes, if you broke a few of the ten commandments you could be good in the eyes of the law. For instance, worshiping false idols is not against the law. Working on the sabbath is not against the law. Coveting your neighbor isn't against the law either. The only commandments that actually make it to law would be the obvious ones like, murder and theft. So, we do in fact get our morals from other human beings. And so do you.

Humanistheart

One problem that I will point out is the add doesn't say who they are comparing themselves to when they say they can be good. I assume they are comparing themselves to other humans. "At least I'm not a murder". Here is the problem, is God grading on a curve or is there a standard to adhered to before we can call ourselves good. For example, if I break a few or a lot of the ten commandments, can I still call myself good?

If the Bible says that all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God, then is it even useful to compare ourselves to others? Jesus reportedly said "he who has no sin cast the first stone". Which means we are all guilty, not some guilty and some good.

Three mistakes to note here MoF. The first is you're assuming they mean 'good' in an moral sence. I read that as good as in, someone asks if you want another piece of cake after dessert and you say "No, I'm good".

The second mistake you make, which seems to be taking a turn away from the OP, you assume 'sin' is a matter of good and bad. Sin's merely a belief that anything that god doesn't like is bad, but that has no objective value at all.

And third, you assume your god is real, for some reason.

Humanistheart

I was reffering to some of the original posts. I agree with the facts that athiests should be voicing their opinions. However, I do not believe that it should go all commercial like some religions.

Oh okay. I agree, but I do not see this add space as overally commericial. Perhaps when athiest organizations take on a tv shows in an evangelical fashion I'd have a problem with it.

dorsk188

One-Eyed in Blindsville
Breaking some of the Ten Commandments.
Christian: You are guilty, no matter who you are.
Person: Of what?
Christian: Breaking the rules of my religion.
Person: But I don't believe in your religion's rules.
Christian: Don't you want the remedy?
Person: But I didn't do any-
Christian: Just join my religion, then you'll understand that you're guilty of breaking the rules, and you'll have the remedy for it.
Person: No... Can you please let me eat my sandwich now?

Zorro1227

Oh okay. I agree, but I do not see this add space as overally commericial. Perhaps when athiest organizations take on a tv shows in an evangelical fashion I'd have a problem with it.

Yeah it just kind of worries me that eventually athiesm will be looked upon the same way as thiesm.

Humanistheart

Yeah it just kind of worries me that eventually athiesm will be looked upon the same way as thiesm.

I could understand that worry. It's the athiest burden. We have to carry ourselves so much better than thiests, as we can't simply justify our actions with old irrelevant books and a claim our god told us to do it. It's not easy being the better people all the time, which is why it's nice to have a forum like this to let it all out.

Humanistheart

Christian: You are guilty, no matter who you are.
Person: Of what?
Christian: Breaking the rules of my religion.
Person: But I don't believe in your religion's rules.
Christian: Don't you want the remedy?
Person: But I didn't do any-
Christian: Just join my religion, then you'll understand that you're guilty of breaking the rules, and you'll have the remedy for it.
Person: No... Can you please let me eat my sandwich now?

Sounds familiar all right...

Zorro1227

I could understand that worry. It's the athiest burden. We have to carry ourselves so much better than thiests, as we can't simply justify our actions with old irrelevant books and a claim our god told us to do it. It's not easy being the better people all the time, which is why it's nice to have a forum like this to let it all out.

Yeah that is why I hated the Christian religion when I was younger. I felt like it was a religion based on money and bigotry. All the churches I attended cared about was money and the appearance of the church and it's people. It would make me sad to see athiesm become a form of religion.