• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheist by birth?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
There was nothing wrong with the quote it is 100% true but you also brought probability into your statement of 100% belief.

Thing is when there is doubt that means there are reasons to answer no and reasons to answer yes. Saying yes you believe is saying it is more yes than no. I know it is irritating when people answer yes and no but sometimes it's true.
This is too convoluted for me to explain. Let me just try to state it this way:

"There is life on other planets." - probable (inherent doubt)
"I believe that there is life on other planets." - true (100%)

The second proposition isn't about life on other planets, it's about me, what I believe. However, there's no qualification for it to be true that there is life on other planets (inherent doubt).

Last edited:

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Whether you find something likely or not. Various things play into that: innate personality, environment, access to information, personal experience, etc.
I disagree, then. I think it's whether you find something true or not.

But maybe that's just me.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I think someone who claims its likely there's a god isn't someone who believes in god. It's just someone who believes it's likely there's a god.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin

The second proposition isn't about life on other planets, it's about me, what I believe. However, there's no qualification for it to be true that there is life on other planets (inherent doubt).

Surely, those quotes are the wrong way around. You can believe something while still doubting it, whereas making the assertion "there is" asserts certainty.

Or maybe I'm coming into this too late...

idav

Being
Premium Member

Oh yeah I do agree (your two examples is less convoluted but I got that same thing from my quote-mine :))but I was talking about the relation between them which is what that diagram alluded to. Like I said the yes or no is 100% but probably true is a variance. Yes or no doesn't really give room for in between but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Surely, those quotes are the wrong way around. You can believe something while still doubting it, whereas making the assertion "there is" asserts certainty.

Or maybe I'm coming into this too late...

What she was saying is that there is doubt as to whether there is life on other planets, but there is no doubt as to whether she holds the belief that life exists on other planets.

It's drawing a distinction between the actual fact in reality and her belief concerning that fact.

I can say with 100% certainty that I believe God doesn't exist. I cannot say with 100% certainty that God doesn't exist.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I disagree, then. I think it's whether you find something true or not.

But maybe that's just me.
You can believe things to be true without being 100% certain that they are. Otherwise, all beliefs would be considered "knowledge"-- We would say "I know" rather than "I believe". Different beliefs have different strengths of conviction.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
You can believe things to be true without being 100% certain that they are. Otherwise, all beliefs would be considered "knowledge"-- We would say "I know" rather than "I believe". Different beliefs have different strengths of conviction.
Beliefs are often considered knowledge in common parlance, that is outside of epistemic philosophical debates. "I think you're right," says both that I believe you're right and that I'm certain you're right.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Beliefs are often considered knowledge in common parlance, that is outside of epistemic philosophical debates. "I think you're right," says both that I believe you're right and that I'm certain you're right.
I don't think so. :D
We put the "think" in there to indicate uncertainty. Otherwise, we'd just say "You're right."

As for beliefs equaling knowledge in common parlence, I have a hard time believing that one. Why do we make the distinction then? Beliefs are what we find likely to be true. Not what we know to be true.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I don't think so. :D
We put the "think" in there to indicate uncertainty. Otherwise, we'd just say "You're right."

As for beliefs equaling knowledge in common parlence, I have a hard time believing that one. Why do we make the distinction then? Beliefs are what we find likely to be true. Not what we know to be true.
Grammatical point taken. :)

ryanam

Why not?

Appears to me you just did.

How?

If someone BELIEVES that the sky is black... a blind, deaf person lets say... doesn't mean the sky is, indeed black.

Same applies to god. Just because people it's real, doesn't make it so. And no, scripture obviously isn't proof.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I can say with 100% certainty that I believe God doesn't exist. I cannot say with 100% certainty that God doesn't exist.
Why not?

Appears to me you just did.
My point was that where we can claim "belief" is where the truth (reality) lies. We don't claim belief in the God that we're not certain of (regardless of arbitrary percentiles); we can, and do, claim belief for the things we are certain of. Though I've never seen it but in photos, at Google Maps, and in eye-witness accounts, I believe there's a big tapered steel tower in a far-away place called "France". Though I've no reason to doubt there's an Eiffel Tower, because it is justified by evidence, until I go see it for myself its reality is indistinguishable from my belief in it.

Same with Black Holes, though I've no desire to go see them.

(Well, we could 'claim it' in the sense of using the word "belief," but to me that would not be genuine belief.)

Commoner

Headache
I've come across the concept of 'Atheism is the default position', but I question that... Sure, when we are born we have no knowledge/comprehension of any god (even a mere concept) but I also feel that to have a firm stance on a belief either way (theism/atheism) it requires analysis, in-depth discussion, and obviously a conclussion at some point... But we aren't born with any knowledge, let alone one as abstract as theology, to really have a default position as Atheism... I don't think you can have profound belief without having even the slightest of knowledge... What do you guys think?

At most I would claim we are necessarily "non-theists" at birth (and certainly atheists are also non-theists, so there is at least some similarity there). Whether or not we very quickly adopt some sort of rudimentary concept that could be analogous to theism, that I don't know. But I very much doubt the object of that "theology" could be a being other than a parent or another adult - so definitely not what we would generally consider "theism".

You could argue that in the absence of (the knowledge of) theism, "atheism" has no real meaning and therefore a baby could not possibly be either. From a more practical POV, I think we would generally consider someone who is a non-theist to be an atheist and therefore could conclude that we are born atheists (or deists, if you expand the term sufficiently). But that's simply a matter of semantics at that point and I don't think it's really that important to be quite honest. We're also born with the notion that when something leaves our field of vision, it stops existing. So what? Babies are stupid... :D

Last edited:

Acim

Revelation all the time
It appears I just did what? Claimed with 100% certainty that there's no god?

Directly quoting, you: I cannot say with 100% certainty that God doesn't exist.

Appears to me you just said it.

I would say we can say things with 100% certainty.

I was more or less challenging simplicity of "I cannot say" when you do complete the saying of it. But I also think we can believe / know / think with 100% certainty and be mistaken. Haven't you ever had a bet with someone about something where you claimed 100% certainty (like say the song "Yesterday" is by the Rolling Stones), only to lose the bet and realize you were mistaken.

In essence, what some of you all call gnostic theists or gnostic atheists are claiming with 100% certainty that they know either way.

work in progress

At most I would claim we are necessarily "non-theists" at birth (and certainly atheists are also non-theists, so there is at least some similarity there). Whether or not we very quickly adopt some sort of rudimentary concept that could be analogous to theism, that I don't know. But I very much doubt the object of that "theology" could be a being other than a parent or another adult - so definitely not what we would generally consider "theism".

You could argue that in the absence of (the knowledge of) theism, "atheism" has no real meaning and therefore a baby could not possibly be either. From a more practical POV, I think we would generally consider someone who is a non-theist to be an atheist and therefore could conclude that we are born atheists (or deists, if you expand the term sufficiently). But that's simply a matter of semantics at that point and I don't think it's really that important to be quite honest. We're also born with the notion that when something leaves our field of vision, it stops existing. So what? Babies are stupid... :D

What sense does it make to follow the Dawkins line that we are non-theists at birth, when the evidence provided by developmental psychologists who mostly study young children, tell us that our intuitive or unlearned system of thinking makes us prone towards beliefs in animacy and teleology? It's more correct to say that we are born already well along the road towards theism, except that some of us develop a degree of skepticism by relying more on reason than intuition when answering these questions. And when we get older, we can use our learned system of reason to discount a supernatural belief, but those who continue to rely more on their intuitions than reasoning to provide answers, are going to be more likely to hold supernatural beliefs. And that's why I am skeptical of this new atheist pipedream of a future world free of religion and supernatural beliefs.

Commoner

Headache
What sense does it make to follow the Dawkins line that we are non-theists at birth, when the evidence provided by developmental psychologists who mostly study young children, tell us that our intuitive or unlearned system of thinking makes us prone towards beliefs in animacy and teleology? It's more correct to say that we are born already well along the road towards theism, except that some of us develop a degree of skepticism by relying more on reason than intuition when answering these questions. And when we get older, we can use our learned system of reason to discount a supernatural belief, but those who continue to rely more on their intuitions than reasoning to provide answers, are going to be more likely to hold supernatural beliefs. And that's why I am skeptical of this new atheist pipedream of a future world free of religion and supernatural beliefs.

How exactly do you get from animacy and theleology to not "non-theist"? I never said we had no such tendencies, quite the opposite. Whether or not they sometimes result in a belief in a god is not the question here, of course they do.

There are many supernatural beliefs that used to be widely held that are now more or less extinct. I don't think we will ever be free of superstition in the same sense that we will never be completely free of disease. That doesn't mean that we can't "all but" eliminate it by increasing our knowledge and understanding of the world around us. I really don't know what this has to do with the OP or my response to it, but there you go, that's my opinion.

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Again, potentials and natural tendencies do not a theist make. Until these are actually realized the subject is atheistic.