• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheist looking for religious debate. Any religion. Let's see if I can be convinced.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
The Baha'i Faith does not make Moses and Abraham Manifestations of God. Baha'u'llah wrote that they were in the Kitab-i-Iqan and that is why we believe it.
And what's the difference? Baha'is believe what Baha'u'llah has said and written, so that makes Moses and Abraham manifestation. The question is why? Judaism and Christianity don't make them manifestations. So why the upgrade? Only to support the "progressive" revelation concept taught in the Baha'i Faith is the only reason I can see. Nothing in the Bible supports them being anything but ordinary men... and with the flaws of ordinary men.

So for me, progressive revelation is not believable. Then add that there is not much support for the Buddha having taught about the "one true God", meaning the Abrahamic God of the Bible. But I'm sure Baha'is can find something out there to support it. But just like fundamental, young earth creationists that believe the Bible very literally, how far will Baha'is go in believing all the teachings of Baha'u'llah? Nothing sounds weird to you? But if it does, you accept it anyway?

There's lots of nice teachings in the Baha'i Faith, but, just as with all other religions, it comes with some hard to believe teachings also.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
No, it would be both, a fact and a belief. A "fact" is independent of you, and a "belief" is dependent of you. You would be irrational if you believe that something is true without evidence to support it but don't believe a fact that has evidence to support it.
If I could prove it it would be a fact and and I would believe it is true, but I don't need to prove it as a fact in order to believe it is true. I have evidence that supports Baha'u'llah's claim to be a Messenger of God even though I cannot prove that God spoke to Him in a factual way. Claims associated with God can never be proven as facts so I have no such unrealistic expectation.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
And what's the difference? Baha'is believe what Baha'u'llah has said and written, so that makes Moses and Abraham manifestation. The question is why?
The answer is because we believe that whatever Baha'u'llah wrote is true. It does not matter what people believed about Abraham and Moses from what is written in older scriptures because Baha'u'llah brought the most current revelation from God.
So for me, progressive revelation is not believable. Then add that there is not much support for the Buddha having taught about the "one true God", meaning the Abrahamic God of the Bible. But I'm sure Baha'is can find something out there to support it. But just like fundamental, young earth creationists that believe the Bible very literally, how far will Baha'is go in believing all the teachings of Baha'u'llah? Nothing sounds weird to you? But if it does, you accept it anyway?
Nothing sounds weird to me at all, it all makes sense. There is no reason to believe that the Buddhists of today have it right since (a) they do not even agree amongst themselves and (b) they have no original scripture from the Buddha, but there is a reason to believe that Abdu'l-Baha had it right since he was the son of Baha'u'llah who we believe is infallible. That is how I reason it out.
There's lots of nice teachings in the Baha'i Faith, but, just as with all other religions, it comes with some hard to believe teachings also.
Hard for you, but not hard for me or the other Baha'is.

Tiberius

I missed nothing, I already know that, but I already told you at least three times there is no verifiable evidence the Baha'u'llah was actually speaking with God, so I consider this a closed case.

So if you agree with my claim from post 1137 that the Baha'i faith depends on claims for which there is no evidence, why did you turn around and claim in post 1147 that there was "There is a boatload of verifiable evidence for the Baha'i Faith."?

Because that sounds like exactly what I said in post 1163, where I said, "That's about as honest as me taking the fact that Star Trek says that the moon is real and that Paris actually exists and claiming that I have strong evidence that Star Trek is true in order to get people to believe in Klingons."

I never said that. They could be correct or incorrect.

Then why do you even bring it up? You've said several times, "I've been a Baha'i for 50 years!" or words to that effect, and the implication is that you mean, "... so I'd know if it was wrong!"

That is all I need to say, I don't need and excuse for having my own interpretation of a verse.

However, like with any other position you present as being correct, you do need to justify it if you want other people to accept it as true.[/quote][/QUOTE]

Tiberius

Here you are implying that I am deceptive and a liar, and you call me rude. It seems like all the name-calling and accusations are from you to me and all I am doing is trying to defend myself. Of course I could prove that but I have better things to do.

I was never less than honest with you. I said there is evidence that indicates that the Baha'i Faith is a true religion, but I never said or even implied that there is any way to prove that any metaphysical claims, such as God was speaking to Baha'u'llah.

And as I have already stated, the same standard of evidence shows that Star Trek is a true story.

Tiberius

No, that is not enough. Why should I take your word for it that some person met the criteria?
You never explained HOW this person met the criteria because you can't explain how without telling me who the person is.

You're missing the IF.

IF this person has met the criteria you provided, would you say they would count as a messenger from God? It's a simple yes or no. Again, please note the IF at the beginning of the sentence.

When the next Messenger comes the Bible prophecies will be irrelevant since they were only written for one purpose - so people who wanted to know could identify the return of Christ and the Messiah. The new Messenger will be needed and people will judge Him the same way we should be judging Baha'u'llah, according to those criteria I listed.

Okay, so if we can discard all of the Bible prophecies regarding the next messenger, how shall we recognise him? You said that we need to see that any messenger has fulfilled prophecies to be a true messenger, which prophecies shall we look at?

Tiberius

God is a subjective experience like love. Being subjective one cannot provide objective, testable, undeniable "proof" of the experience. Atheists seem to know this already yet demand proofs that they know cant be demonstrated.

We demand proofs because such an interpretation of God makes no sense. How can a subjective experience create the universe? Or do any of the other things that are attributed to God?

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
There own religion doesn't make Abraham and Moses into manifestations.
That's quite true. Moses is a prophet according to them, but we see that as meaning a Manifestation in our own terms. As to Abraham, they don't even see him as a prophet, but the Qur'an does. In the Bible he is just the father of the Hebrews who believed God when He said his "seed" would be a multitude. To us because the Qur'an and the Baha'i Writings come from God, we consider that more reliable than scriptures written down 1,500 years after Abraham.
And how does the Buddha become a manifestation of a God he didn't even talk about?
Here's a reply from BahaiTeachings.org:

Is There a God in Buddhism?
Understanding a few of the historic problems in Buddhist history and the authenticity of its scripture, we can now examine the most basic question about Buddhism: is it theistic? Do Buddhists believe in God?

To even understand the question, the Buddha’s ministry should be seen in historical perspective. The pre-Buddhist Vedic religion in India was in a period of decline when Gautama Buddha appeared. The Buddhist narrative says that the privileged caste of Vedic priests at the time, the brahmins, had become corrupt and knew little of the true spirit of religion. Thus, they could not show others the path to God. A disciple of the Buddha, Vasettha, commented on this situation to the Buddha. The Buddha reportedly replied:

Then you say, too, Vasettha, that the brahmins [priests] bear anger and malice in their hearts, and are sinful and uncontrolled, whilst Brahman [God] is free from anger and malice, and sinless, and has self-mastery. Now can there, then, be concord and likeness between the brahmins and Brahman?

Here, the Buddha is talking about God — Brahman — and says that he is concerned about the character and actions of priests who do not faithfully reflect God’s pure light. Already this puts Buddhism in the realm of theistic religions, as do many similar references in Buddhist scripture.

The Buddha, however, lived in a time and place when people were drowning in a sea of gods and theological parsing. It is reasonable, then, that he would not want to add to the intellectual fray and, sure enough, scripture records that he resisted being drug into these distinctions. In Sutra 63 of the Majjhima-Nikaya, a disciple, Malunkyaputta, asked the Buddha why he would not answer their theological questions. The Buddha replied:

It is as if, Malunkyaputta, a man had been wounded by an arrow thickly smeared with poison, and his friends and companions, his relatives and kinsfolk, were to procure for him a physician or surgeon; and the sick man were to say, “I will not have this arrow taken out until I have learnt whether the man who wounded me belonged to the warrior caste, or to the brahmin caste, or to the agricultural caste, or to the menial caste.

Or again he were to say, “I will not have this arrow taken out until I have learnt the name of the man who wounded me, and to what clan he belongs.

Or again he were to say, “I will not have this arrow taken out until I have learnt whether the man who wounded me was tall, or short, or of middle height … [Many other conditions are mentioned]

That man would die, Malunkyaputta, without ever having learnt this.

In exactly the same way, Malunkyaputta, anyone who should say, “I will not lead the religious life under the Blessed One until the Blessed One shall explain to me either that the world is eternal, or that the world is not eternal, that the world is finite, that the world is infinite, that the soul and the body are identical, that the soul is one thing and the body another, that the saint exists after death, that the saint does not exist after death, that the saint both exists and does not exist after death, that the saint neither exists nor does not exist after death — that person would die, Malunkyaputta, before the Tathagata [one who has come] had ever explained this to him.

As the Buddha explained, continuing: “The religious life,” he said, “does not depend on the dogma.” Dogma “profits not, nor has to do with the fundamentals of religion, nor tends to aversion, absence of passion, cessation, quiescence, the supernatural faculties, supreme wisdom, and Nirvana; therefore have I not explained it.”

According to the Buddha, then, the essence of religion — the most useful part — must be about practices that ease suffering and bring people closer to salvation, to nirvana. The Buddha saw the rest as non-essential, and often a cause of idle theological wrangling and disunity.

Is There a God in Buddhism?

Here's another related article by the same site, by the same article:

In the predominant Western practices of Buddhism, many followers insist that the Buddha’s teachings are non-theistic, and that Buddhists do not believe in a Creator. Let’s examine that premise.

Several scholars and historians believe that the Buddha, recognizing Vedic Hindu society’s super abundance of gods, decided that any further discussion of God could only lead to dogmatic distraction. They conclude that the Buddha’s elegant solution simply involved talking about the reality of the human condition, the best way to live to avoid suffering, and how to move toward a spiritual state of nirvana.

Because of those teachings and the practical way the Buddha transmitted them to his followers, many still make the mistake of thinking that the Buddha did not believe in God. The Buddha, however, clearly proclaimed in Udana 8:3 of the Khuddaka Nikaya:

There is an Unborn, an Unoriginated, an Unmade, an Uncompounded; were there not, O mendicants, there would be no escape from the world of the born, the originated, the made, and the compounded.

This, clearly, is God stripped of all anthropomorphism. It is the Reality that makes salvation or nirvana possible, and it’s consonant with Tillich’s definition of God as “the Ground of all Being” and with Baha’u’llah’s description of God as “an Unknowable Essence” in the Baha’i writings:

So perfect and comprehensive is His [God’s] creation that no mind nor heart, however keen or pure, can ever grasp the nature of the most insignificant of His creatures; much less fathom the mystery of Him Who is the Day Star of Truth, Who is the invisible and unknowable Essence. The conceptions of the devoutest of mystics, the attainments of the most accomplished amongst men, the highest praise which human tongue or pen can render are all the product of man’s finite mind and are conditioned by its limitations.

Not only did the Buddha believe in God, he had special knowledge of God, proclaiming to his disciple Vasettha in Sutta 1:43 of the Tevijja:

For Brahman [God] I know, Vasettha, and the world of Brahman, and the path that leadeth unto it. Yea I know it even as one who has entered the Brahman world, and has been born within it.

The Buddha also made clear that he did not reveal everything he knew of God. A scriptural passage, SN 5:437, explains the Buddha’s selectivity in revealing knowledge to us, when the Buddha asks:

Now what think ye, brethren? Which are more, these few simsapa leaves that I hold in my hand, or those that are in the simsapa grove above?

Few in number, Lord, are those simsapa leaves that are in the hand of the Exalted One: far more in number are those in the simsapa grove above.

Just so brethren, those things that I know by my super-knowledge, but have not revealed, are greater by far in number than those things that I have revealed. And why brethren have I not revealed them?

Because, brethren, they do not conduce to profit, are not concerned with the holy life, they do not tend to repulsion, to cessation, to calm, to the super-knowledge, to the perfect wisdom, to Nibbana [Nirvana]. That is why I have not revealed them.

This is the Buddhist version of Christ’s statement in John 16:12: “I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now;” and Baha’u’llah’s statement in his Book of Certitude:

It is obvious and manifest that the true meaning of the utterances of the Birds of Eternity is revealed to none except those that manifest the Eternal Being, and the melodies of the Nightingale of Holiness can reach no ear save that of the denizens of the everlasting realm.

It is true that most forms of Buddhism speak little of a Creator. But creation stories actually fill very little of Western scripture, as well. What really fills that scripture are accounts of historical events and attempts to describe our attraction for the Being to Whom we are connected, our wonder at being in the world, and our discovery of what leads to personal and social advancement or abasement. This is also what fills Buddhist scripture. At heart, the Baha’i teachings say, Eastern and Western religion have the same goal and are occupied with the same tasks:

Consider the rose: whether it blossometh in the East or in the West, it is none the less a rose. For what mattereth in this respect is not the outward shape and form of the rose, but rather the smell and fragrance which it doth impart.

Purge thy sight, therefore, from all earthly limitations, that thou mayest behold them all as the bearers of one Name, the exponents of one Cause, the manifestations of one Self, and the revealers of one Truth, and that thou mayest apprehend the mystic “return” of the Words of God as unfolded by these utterances.

In the book “The Four Noble Truths”, the Dalai Lama makes the same basic point very well, too:

For a non-Buddhist, the idea of nirvana and a next life seems nonsensical. Similarly, to Buddhists, the idea of a Creator God sometimes sounds like nonsense. But these things don’t matter; we can drop them. The point is that through these different traditions, a very negative person can be transformed into a good person. That is the purpose of religion — and that is the actual result.

Unborn and Unoriginated: Buddhism and the Creator

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
So if you agree with my claim from post 1137 that the Baha'i faith depends on claims for which there is no evidence, why did you turn around and claim in post 1147 that there was "There is a boatload of verifiable evidence for the Baha'i Faith."?
Clearly stated, there is evidence that 'indicates' that the Baha'i Faith is a true religion from God but it can never be proven that Baha'u'llah was communicated to by God. That has to be believed on faith, but it is a reason-based faith because there is good evidence that supports it.
Then why do you even bring it up? You've said several times, "I've been a Baha'i for 50 years!" or words to that effect, and the implication is that you mean, "... so I'd know if it was wrong!"
That implication is correct, I would know by now if the religion was wrong in the sense that if I don't know by now I will never know, but that does not mean that it is impossible for me to be wrong, and that is why I said a person 'could be wrong' about a belief that have held for over 50 years. Since nobody can ever prove that a religion is true as a fact, any or all religions could be wrong and there could be no God at all.
However, like with any other position you present as being correct, you do need to justify it if you want other people to accept it as true.
I do not need to justify my beliefs to anyone except myself because I am not trying to get other people to accept my beliefs as true.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
You're missing the IF.

IF this person has met the criteria you provided, would you say they would count as a messenger from God? It's a simple yes or no. Again, please note the IF at the beginning of the sentence.
That would all depend upon when the person made that claim. It would be a simple no if this person made the claim after Baha'u'llah made His claim in 1852 AD, up until 2852 AD, because of what Baha'u'llah wrote:

“Whoso layeth claim to a Revelation direct from God, ere the expiration of a full thousand years, such a man is assuredly a lying impostor. We pray God that He may graciously assist him to retract and repudiate such claim. Should he repent, God will, no doubt, forgive him. If, however, he persisteth in his error, God will, assuredly, send down one who will deal mercilessly with him. Terrible, indeed, is God in punishing! Whosoever interpreteth this verse otherwise than its obvious meaning is deprived of the Spirit of God and of His mercy which encompasseth all created things. Fear God, and follow not your idle fancies. Nay, rather, follow the bidding of your Lord, the Almighty, the All-Wise. Erelong shall clamorous voices be raised in most lands. Shun them, O My people, and follow not the iniquitous and evil-hearted. This is that of which We gave you forewarning when We were dwelling in ‘Iráq, then later while in the Land of Mystery, and now from this Resplendent Spot.”
The Kitáb-i-Aqdas, p. 32
Okay, so if we can discard all of the Bible prophecies regarding the next messenger, how shall we recognise him? You said that we need to see that any messenger has fulfilled prophecies to be a true messenger, which prophecies shall we look at?
I never said that 'any Messenger' would need to fulfill prophecies in order to be a true Messenger. A Messenger would only have to fulfill prophecies if prophecies were written that refer to his coming, and if he claimed to be the one that the prophecies are about. That was true for Jesus and the Bab and Baha'u'llah, and there are even Bible prophecies that refer to Muhammad, but that is not true for all the Messengers and it won't be true for any Messengers who come in the future because the Age of Prophecy ended when the Age of Fulfillment was ushered in by the Bab and Baha'u'llah.

“It is evident that every age in which a Manifestation of God hath lived is divinely ordained, and may, in a sense, be characterized as God’s appointed Day. This Day, however, is unique, and is to be distinguished from those that have preceded it. The designation “Seal of the Prophets” fully revealeth its high station. The Prophetic Cycle hath, verily, ended. The Eternal Truth is now come. He hath lifted up the Ensign of Power, and is now shedding upon the world the unclouded splendor of His Revelation.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 60

Last edited:

night912

If I could prove it it would be a fact and and I would believe it is true, but I don't need to prove it as a fact in order to believe it is true.
I didn't say anything about you needing to prove it as a fact in order for you to believe. All I said was that a fact is still a belief. And that was just correcting you on what you said.

Trailbazer said:
"If I could prove that it would be a fact, not a belief."

I have evidence that supports Baha'u'llah's claim to be a Messenger of God even though I cannot prove that God spoke to Him in a factual way. Claims associated with God can never be proven as facts
That means that you do not know that he was a messenger of God since you cannot prove that it's true.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
@ night912

I do not need to be able to prove that it's true in order to know it is true. There are other ways of knowing.

Definition of know

1a(1): to perceive directly : have direct cognition of (2): to have understanding of importance of knowing oneself (3): to recognize the nature of : discern

b(1): to recognize as being the same as something previously known(2): to be acquainted or familiar with (3): to have experience of

2a: to be aware of the truth or factuality of : be convinced or certain of

b: to have a practical understanding of knows how to write

Definition of KNOW

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
@ night912

I do not need to be able to prove that it's true in order to know it is true. There are other ways of knowing.

Definition of know

1a(1): to perceive directly : have direct cognition of (2): to have understanding of importance of knowing oneself (3): to recognize the nature of : discern

b(1): to recognize as being the same as something previously known(2): to be acquainted or familiar with (3): to have experience of

2a: to be aware of the truth or factuality of : be convinced or certain of

b: to have a practical understanding of knows how to write

Definition of KNOW
Ah, Marriam-Webster. My preferred site for definitions. Seems it has changed from what it was before. Could it be because I told you it was my preferred site for definitions?:D

rational experiences

Veteran Member
When men of science want they think about theories.

The theory why did a human get sacrificed is involved in why atmospheric image of man exists in clouds.

Men of science want the thesis.

Hence knowing men are unnaturally greedy as earth is a planet self formed greed once never existed nor did invention using machine as resources.

Men hence compared life to machines as a thesis in machine conditions.

Design the machine as a God is no reacting.

He discusses God as if it reacted.

To quote instead of a human life I want a machine life. The reaction.

Yet inside his machine he replaced substance to convert. Proving his thesis is all about machines and never human presence.

So we ponder the theist as any natural human first.

A God reaction is a machine conversion.

As you are operating the conversion it made you think you were a God who created.

So you have to question the theist and never the theory.

Today saying like a machine to function it uses a little bit of electricity as used.

Yet if we plugged self into power point we would be fried.

So you ask the theist why did you compare actual stated presences to a human when your words equal only the topic of discussion.

As you cannot compare life to Christ gases like you cannot say life sperm.ovary conceived by a pin prick electricity. As electricity does not exist as a pin prick.

Like an image in the mass of heavens does not equal electricity.

As what the theist do they compare bodies as the natural form to another presence.

Inferring self was the God who invented presence by a reaction.

Lying the whole time

To ask why a man living as just a human and man would call self a messenger?

I learnt that if an unnatural human experience occurred it would own a human science description as why it happened.

To quote the reason as a human I am explaining as something unnatural occurred.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Ah, Marriam-Webster. My preferred site for definitions. Seems it has changed from what it was before. Could it be because I told you it was my preferred site for definitions?:D
That is also my preferred site. Below is another one I had saved. The way I know that Baha'u'llah was a Messenger of God according to these definitions is because I have thought my way through it: 2. Cognitive (Rational)

3 Ways to Know Something

There are 3 main ways.

1. Experiential (Empirical)

With experiential, you know something because you’ve “experienced” it – basically through your five senses (site, hearing, touch, smell, and taste.)

2. Cognitive (Rational)

With cognitive, you know something because you’ve thought your way through it, argued it, or rationalized it.

3. Constructed (Creational)

With constructed, you know something because you created it – and it may be subjective instead of objective and it may be based on convention or perception.

https://sourcesofinsight.com/3-ways-to-know-something/

Tiberius

Clearly stated, there is evidence that 'indicates' that the Baha'i Faith is a true religion from God but it can never be proven that Baha'u'llah was communicated to by God. That has to be believed on faith, but it is a reason-based faith because there is good evidence that supports it.

The fact you had to use quotation marks around "indicated" shows just how much of an indication it is.

That implication is correct, I would know by now if the religion was wrong in the sense that if I don't know by now I will never know, but that does not mean that it is impossible for me to be wrong, and that is why I said a person 'could be wrong' about a belief that have held for over 50 years. Since nobody can ever prove that a religion is true as a fact, any or all religions could be wrong and there could be no God at all.

Then you are contradicting yourself.

You are saying that you would definitely know if it was wrong after being a Baha'i for 50 years, and since you have not determined it is wrong, therefore it must not be wrong, and then you turn around and say you could be wrong anyway.

See? This is the sort of inconsistency I said I was pointing out.

I do not need to justify my beliefs to anyone except myself because I am not trying to get other people to accept my beliefs as true.

Then why are you here telling people that your beliefs are true?

Tiberius

That would all depend upon when the person made that claim. It would be a simple no if this person made the claim after Baha'u'llah made His claim in 1852 AD, up until 2852 AD, because of what Baha'u'llah wrote:

“Whoso layeth claim to a Revelation direct from God, ere the expiration of a full thousand years, such a man is assuredly a lying impostor. We pray God that He may graciously assist him to retract and repudiate such claim. Should he repent, God will, no doubt, forgive him. If, however, he persisteth in his error, God will, assuredly, send down one who will deal mercilessly with him. Terrible, indeed, is God in punishing! Whosoever interpreteth this verse otherwise than its obvious meaning is deprived of the Spirit of God and of His mercy which encompasseth all created things. Fear God, and follow not your idle fancies. Nay, rather, follow the bidding of your Lord, the Almighty, the All-Wise. Erelong shall clamorous voices be raised in most lands. Shun them, O My people, and follow not the iniquitous and evil-hearted. This is that of which We gave you forewarning when We were dwelling in ‘Iráq, then later while in the Land of Mystery, and now from this Resplendent Spot.”
The Kitáb-i-Aqdas, p. 32

How convenient. A way for you to discard any such claim without even having to bother knowing a thing about it.

If it was before 1852, then it doesn't count because Mr B came and thus the previous guy is now out of the picture. If it is after, then it can be discounted because Mr B said it doesn't count. And there no need to worry about after 2852, because we'll all be long dead by then.

I never said that 'any Messenger' would need to fulfill prophecies in order to be a true Messenger. A Messenger would only have to fulfill prophecies if prophecies were written that refer to his coming, and if he claimed to be the one that the prophecies are about. That was true for Jesus and the Bab and Baha'u'llah, and there are even Bible prophecies that refer to Muhammad, but that is not true for all the Messengers and it won't be true for any Messengers who come in the future because the Age of Prophecy ended when the Age of Fulfillment was ushered in by the Bab and Baha'u'llah.

“It is evident that every age in which a Manifestation of God hath lived is divinely ordained, and may, in a sense, be characterized as God’s appointed Day. This Day, however, is unique, and is to be distinguished from those that have preceded it. The designation “Seal of the Prophets” fully revealeth its high station. The Prophetic Cycle hath, verily, ended. The Eternal Truth is now come. He hath lifted up the Ensign of Power, and is now shedding upon the world the unclouded splendor of His Revelation.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 60

And would you accept a person who claimed to be a messenger if they never claimed there were any prophecies about themselves?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
The fact you had to use quotation marks around "indicated" shows just how much of an indication it is.
You read into what I say too much and make assumptions that are incorrect. The reason I put that in quotations was to emphasize what it says in the definition of evidence, which can be contrasted with the definition of proof, as noted below.

Evidence: the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid: https://www.google.com/search

Proof: evidence or argument establishing or helping to establish a fact or the truth of a statement: https://www.google.com/search
Then you are contradicting yourself.

You are saying that you would definitely know if it was wrong after being a Baha'i for 50 years, and since you have not determined it is wrong, therefore it must not be wrong, and then you turn around and say you could be wrong anyway.

See? This is the sort of inconsistency I said I was pointing out.
No, it is just how you are interpreting what I said. I said I would definitely know if I was wrong after being a Baha'i for 50 years, and since I have not determined I am wrong after 50 years, I know I am not wrong. But hypothetically speaking a person 'could be wrong' about a belief they have held for over 50 years since nobody can ever prove that a religion is true as a fact, any or all religions could be wrong and there could be no God at all.
Then why are you here telling people that your beliefs are true?
Because I believe they are true. Why would I tell people I believe they are false? In that case I'd be lying.
I am speaking for what "I believe" but that does not mean I am trying to justify my beliefs to other people or get other people to accept my beliefs as true. I go strictly by what Baha'u'llah wrote, that the decision to accept a belief as true must come from oneself, not from someone else who convinced us that the belief was true.

If, in the Day when all the peoples of the earth will be gathered together, any man should, whilst standing in the presence of God, be asked: “Wherefore hast thou disbelieved in My Beauty and turned away from My Self,” and if such a man should reply and say: “Inasmuch as all men have erred, and none hath been found willing to turn his face to the Truth, I, too, following their example, have grievously failed to recognize the Beauty of the Eternal,” such a plea will, assuredly, be rejected. For the faith of no man can be conditioned by any one except himself.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 143