• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists and Satanism

Orias

Left Hand Path
Basically what I want to observe is what recognized atheists here have to think about Satanism.

And please, if your going to be a jerk please be a soft one ;)

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
Basically what I want to observe is what recognized atheists here have to think about Satanism.

Pretty big admirer of LaVeyan Satanism. Got into it when I was younger. Its more an atheistic middle finger to Christianity and its hypocrisy.

Don't really live by it much anymore.

FlyingTeaPot

Irrational Rationalist. Educated Fool.
I don't know much about it and from what I can tell, it has a rulebook. Religions have rulebooks. Therefore Satanism = = religion. Therefore, I don't think much of it.

Kerr

I dont know much about it, to be honest. From the little I have seen there are parts I like (think there was a commandment not to harm children, which is the only thing I can think of right now). There are probably things I wouldnt like, but as I said, I dont know much about satanism. In either case, its not my cup of tea.

Splarnst

I can't believe in a literal Satan for the same reasons I can't believe in a literal God.

And I'm not interested in metaphorical religious entities either. Satanism kinda gives me the creeps, to be honest.

idav

Being
Premium Member
If one doesn't believe in god, how could one believe in god's nemesis, created by god.
Yeah I have a similar question as to where Satanism gets their name from. If it is supposed to be an opposition, an opposition to what?

CarlinKnew

Like any other religion it has some worthwhile ideas that can be cherrypicked, but mostly I find it silly.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Yeah I have a similar question as to where Satanism gets their name from. If it is supposed to be an opposition, an opposition to what?

LaVey himself admitted it was all about drama. The title Satanism literally is there as a shock factor. LaVey lied about himself and how the CoS came to be (his friend told him to do it and Avon books asked him to write The Satanic Bible). He was a very powerful magician, he convinced another group of followers that they are complete individuals. Now, I mean no offense against LaVeyan Satanists in general, many just take some philosophy and leave it. But it has the same strict dogma, rituals that must be done a specific way, and greedy corrupt hierarchy as the religion it tries to show up: Christianity.

ReligionNomore665

What is Religion Anymore?
Interesting question. As an agnostic, I still question if either one, God or Satan, is real... but my thoughts on Satanism is the same for any religion...as my favorite saying goes,

"Its whatever floats their boat."

I'm very neutral when it comes to religion...so I don't have much say in it at all.

shawn001

I am agnostic as well.

Almost every religion from the first civilization on had the cosmic struggle between good and evil. You need good and bad guys for a good plot to the stories.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
I am agnostic as well.

Almost every religion from the first civilization on had the cosmic struggle between good and evil. You need good and bad guys for a good plot to the stories.

You aren't suggesting that good and evil do not exist, are you?

Panda

42?
Premium Member
Satanism, meh. I'm not a fan of the fairly self centred philosophies that seem to come from a lot of them but as long as they don't bother me I couldn't care less.