• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists have nothing to rely on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Gods are unreliable, cryptic, jealous, vindictive and judgmental. I'd be a nervous wreck if I had to rely on God.
The laws of Nature, on the other hand, are absolutely regular, predictable and non-judgmental. Much more reliable, much less worrisome.

Blastcat

Everything I have, everything I own, everything I have to give.......comes from the God I worship. I don't think any atheist could begin to understand, hence the ridiculous comments.

I own things.
I have things to give...

What do you own and have to give than an atheist doesn't or can't ?

Servant_of_the_One1

No guys i mean when i feel real down, and family and friends cant help me with it then i call on God for bigger help. Then ofcourse my Heart and mind becomes peaceful.

I think atheists dont have that because they cant call upon anyone when family friends therapists(lol) fail.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Religious people have their God/gods to rely on. During difficult times they can seek help in mosque church synagogue or whatever, but atheists rely only on sex drugs alcohol for "spiritual comfort".
Then again, there are unusual human animals like me who neither feel the need of a "god crutch" feel a need to abuse sex, drugs or alcohol for so-called "spiritual comfort". Some of us are more than happy - alone in the universe.

Call upon God, if ur heart and mind doesnt get peaceful feeling then u are doing it wrong :)
And what if you already have enough peace to satisfy a small village? Your thought offers me nothing I don't have oodles of already.

Jumi

Call upon God, if ur heart and mind doesnt get peaceful feeling then u are doing it wrong :)
This is what I do with nature, my mind becomes peaceful, breathing opens up and eyes clear up. If nothing else helps, I go there. I think it's the same thing you are saying we are missing. I'll say it's rare that I need it now, but it was what helped me get over the worst part of my life.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
No guys i mean when i feel real down, and family and friends cant help me with it then i call on God for bigger help. Then ofcourse my Heart and mind becomes peaceful.
I had some very depressing things happening to me and my family in the past. I was religious at that time, and I was looking for support from God all the time. At one point, it stopped working. I didn't feel any emotional support from God at all. That's when I became an atheist. With time, I've learned to find this inner peace and emotional support in different ways, but alcohol, drugs, and sex won't do it.

I think atheists dont have that because they cant call upon anyone when family friends therapists(lol) fail.
So what does God do when you call upon him?

Koldo

Outstanding Member

Do you mind if I ask why 'of course' ?
It seems to be implied on this post that it is supposed to always work.
I can speak from personal experience that it didn't work for me.

Kirran

Premium Member
I think peace is our basic condition. We only are not peaceful because we become caught up in other things. No external source brings you peace, it just allows you to think it is OK to be peaceful. When it is all about mindset.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Religious people have their God/gods to rely on. During difficult times they can seek help in mosque church synagogue or whatever, but atheists rely only on sex drugs alcohol for "spiritual comfort".

Seeing as religious folk far outweigh non-religious folk, I think it's safe to say that far more religious people use those things than non-religious people.

Besides, there's plenty to rely upon without Gods. Friends and family, for one.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member

My friends and family have never failed to help when I've asked. I don't call upon the Gods instead of my friends; I call upon them in addition to my friends.

I'm also seeing a therapist right now (because I'm ASD), and she's been a big help to me.

There's also support hotlines, forums like this, and even things that don't necessarily involve socializing, such as films or video games. Sometimes, a little alone time is what's needed to recharge.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Perhaps by relying upon our own & earthly resources gives us different strength.
It's analogous to a child maturing to the point where self reliance supersedes parental support.
But I'm also lucky....I don't have anything requiring any help.

Baladas

An Págánach

I do not rely on your God, or on anything like what you seem to think of as deity.
I find comfort in my wife and daughter, my family (including my dog and cats). I find comfort within myself in meditation; in silence and
stillness.
In a sunrise, sunset, a mountain overlook, a river, a forest. My comfort does not come from ideas and beliefs only,
but from direct experience.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Atheist and believers both have love. Our sources are different AND that does not negate that we are on equal grounds--equal rights--to experience that love that no person of any other belief or world view system can deprive us of.

We both have the need to do better for ourselves and sacrifice ourselves for those or what we care for. Believers are not aliens or visa versa. We are all on equal grounds.

Atheist do not need to be supported by God to have the grace, faith, love, and support that life gives them through their family, their selves, their morals, who or what they put as priorities. (Drugs, sex, excluded, for, well, I'll say most since I dont know).

Atheist dont need God for these things. Christians dont need to "not believe in God" to see the truth. We shouldn't have to "need" to step from ourselves to see another person's world-view if that world-view compromises our own. Christians arent special. Atheist arent special. No one is special.

There.

Wrap up: Atheist dont need to be supported by God. Believers dont need to not believe in God to see someone else's truth. Both are on equal ground. No one is special. Atheist don't go for sex, drugs, etc and all that mess (as a whole, generalising).

Jumping to conclusions and dictating someone else's truth so it can mirror our own. Life does not work that way.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Everything I have, everything I own, everything I have to give.......comes from the God I worship. I don't think any atheist could begin to understand, hence the ridiculous comments.
I just want to say, a lot of atheist Do understand and that is why they are atheist. Everyone comes to understanding differenty. So the love you get from God does not mean when I see God I will feel the same. It's great to pray that atheist does; and, it is not realistic to assume what one person believes is the truth the other should feel likewise.

It is like both of us meeting one person we may want to befriend. We both learn more about this friend. She is nice and all. However, maybe you like her and I do not. Maybe after getting to really know her, I found we just don't "click." That is OKAY.

My defriending this woman because we dont click (after understanding and getting to know her) should not compromise your (and any other people) friendship with the woman.

It is what it is. There is nothing wrong with 1 understanding who you dont want to love and 2 not wanting to worship someone because you dont love him.

Its fine. This post is really for anyone who shares your feelings. It just kind of bothers me when any person atheist, christian, whoever, takes offense when it is okay that we have different beliefs and it is okay that someone else says you have no support with God. It is Not true to you; so, it is not true. Be happy with God and let it be.

It's okay. Really.

okay, continue...

Status
Not open for further replies.