• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists: If there's no God, then where did the world come from?

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
It is a good question, the Atheists to answer.
Regards
Do you realize that this thread is almost half a decade old, and the only reason why it has been resurrected is because Debater Slayer (who is now an atheist) simply wanted to comment on how much their view has changed since then?

Last edited:

David M

This is a prominent question that is yet to be answered convincingly by atheists. I mean the world can't have come from nothing, can it?

Science doesn't claim that it did. Plenetary formation is a well understood process. Many stages of which have been observed by astronomy.

Do you realize that this thread is over half a decade old, and the only reason why it has been resurrected is because Debater Slayer (who is now an atheist) simply wanted to comment on how much their view has changed since then?

I didn't notice. A large computer screen is definitely needed for my old eyes.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
I didn't notice. A large computer screen is definitely needed for my old eyes.
I didn't notice at first either. I was most of the way through a lengthy rebuttal to the OP when I suddenly realized it was Debater Slayer. At least your response was quick and to the point - I almost went off on a massive diatribe for no reason whatsoever!

outhouse

Atheistically
I didn't notice at first either. I was most of the way through a lengthy rebuttal to the OP when I suddenly realized it was Debater Slayer. At least your response was quick and to the point - I almost went off on a massive diatribe for no reason whatsoever!

That's the problem with the younger crowd, still wet behind the ears lol :p

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
It was. I believed every word of it with strong conviction back then.

1) I'm content with not knowing everything with certainty.

2) I don't believe in any gods, which is probably the most obvious change.

3) I'm open to continually measuring my perspective against available evidence as well as logic and changing my views if I find them mistaken. Following a religion with very clearly laid out basic beliefs like Islam held me back in this regard—I always felt like I had to agree with whatever the religion's core texts stated.

Those are just a few. There have been so many changes since then that I can't think of all of them offhand. I was almost an entirely different person in terms of my worldview when I created this thread.
I have to say the transformation is fascinating. The whole time I was reading through the thread I had to keep checking the name on the avatar because I just couldn't believe it was you.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
It is a good question, the Atheists to answer.
Regards
It so happened that when I wrote my post #440 given above I read it "Atheists: If there's no God, then where did the word come from?" in stead of "Atheists: If there's no God, then where did the world come from?".
In both senses it is a reality.
Hence I have started a new thread Post #1 with a little change.
Regards

gnostic

The Lost One
This is a prominent question that is yet to be answered convincingly by atheists. I mean the world can't have come from nothing, can it?
Of course, the world didn't come from nowhere.

Everything occurred naturally in this world, other than those made by man (like buildings, roads, pipes, furniture, motor vehicles, computers, mobile phones, etc, are stuffs that nature cannot make), without any god ("any god" as whether those that believe only one god or many).

Modern science have already explained the structure and mechanism of just about everything you can think of, from the tiniest object, like in particle physics (eg quarks, electrons, photons, etc) to the largest object, the planet itself, the Earth.

But the question is not really about, did the Earth come into existence from nowhere or from nothing, because modern science can already explain how stars and planets be formed without the need for god(s), in astronomy, along with relativity and quantum physics.

No, the real questions must be WHERE did the belief of god(s) originated from?

The belief of god didn't come nowhere. The existence of gods all came from man's superstitious imaginations.

Man invented all the gods; it is man who created each and every religions, including every traditions and every scriptural literature; literature like from the early Sumerian hymns to An, Enlil, Enki, Inanna, etc, or from the hieroglyphs about Ra, Horus and Osiris on the walls of pyramids, to the Qur'an about Allah and Muhammad.

Man created all the gods, including the ones that Jews called YHWH, Christians called Father and Muslims called Allah.

None of these gods, including the Abrahamic deity, existed before man existed. There are no evidences to support gods existing before the Neolithic period or before the Bronze Age. There are no evidences to support that gods created anything.

Without man, there wouldn't be any god. Gods didn't come no where, man invented them.

Originally, primitive man didn't understand the world around him or the world he lived in, so he began attributing nature with spirits; nature like the sun, moon, clouds, soils and rocks, plants (trees and bushes), water (like lake, rivers and rain), fire, animals. It is from their primal fear and ignorance that man invented these nameless spirits; in another word, these spirits were invented by man's superstition.

By the Bronze Age, man were still very superstitious, even when they were more advanced than previous Neolithic cultures, but they turned the nature spirits into gods. The Bronze Age man moved from the Neolithic settlements of clan or families to more urban towns and cities which can housed from hundreds to thousands of people, and their belief became more organised, forming into cults or religions, with various forms of superstitious rituals and customs.

The Neolithic nameless spirits that reside in (and control) every objects and life (plants and animals) and natural events (rain, storms, earthquakes, etc) that they can see, the Bronze Age man have turned spirits into gods with increasingly more human-like attributes. These human-like gods not only control nature, but also everything relating to civilisations, like building cities, palaces and temples, roads, irrigation, writings, etc.

Bronze Age came and went like the previous age, and the Iron Age is where the Abrahamic religions first started, with the ancient Hebrews moved aware from many gods to just one god, the dawn of early Judaism.

But this early Judaism also borrowed idea from earlier religions that originated from the Bronze Age, like the earliest creation and the flood stories came from the Sumerian and Akkadian traditions, but instead of many gods creating the world and man, or causing the flood to happened, but just one God doing all that.

Nevertheless, the ancient Israelites were just as superstitious as the Canaanite before them in the Bronze Age, and their contemporary neighbors around them (like Egypt, Aramaeans, Assyrians, Babylonians and Persians).

Christianity came to be from Hellenistic Judaism, which adopted many foreign beliefs, like from the Persians (eg Zoroastrianism), from the Egyptians (Isis and Osiris cults) and from the Greek cults.

Early Judaism, before the Hellenistic period, had no resurrection and no afterlife in heaven and hell, no divine judgement if the man's departed spirits should receive reward in heaven for being "faithful" or being punished for some unforgivable sins. These types of belief had come from Egypt and from the Greeks.

Islam come from Muhammad mixing not only Judaism and Christianity together, but from also their pagan past; pre-Islamic Arabic cults, like Muslims belief in the existence of the moon god Allah and the belief in jinns.

One of the most common symbol for Islam, like the flags, used the iconic symbol of the crescent moon. This symbol is actually a pagan symbol of pre-Islamic Allah, just one god out of many. The crescent moon predated Muhammad.

Muslims say they don't worship any god, that they have worship no icon. That's not true at all. They worshipped Muhammad, they worshipped a book called the Qur'an and they still worshipped the polytheistic symbol of the crescent moon.

Muslims are just as superstitious as the Jews and Christians. In every prayers, they would recited Muhammad's name with that of Allah, as if it to ward off evil.

How is Muslim's prayer (that always include Muhammad's name) any different from Christian's prayer when they include the name of Jesus or one of the many saints?

Idol worshipping isn't just about worshipping inanimate objects, like those that made out of wood, stone or metal. No idol worshipping includes that of past (historical and legendary) people like messiah, prophets and saints.

Sadly, superstitions persisted even today, which mean fear and ignorance still persist, because these religions advocate primitive belief in gods. These gods simply can't exist without man, as long as man still encouraging primitive and superstitious beliefs.

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
We give the same answer as to the question "Where did god come from?"
Only we are quite content with the answer, "We don't know but scientists are working on it"
They never work/ed on it, they know it is not their field. Right?Please
Regards

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
The same can be said about God. Atheists often tend to believe that there is no God because they see that there's no sufficient evidence to prove his existence. You can't prove that something exists using our natural laws when we're inside this universe because our universal laws don't apply to God. Think of it as a bubble that we're inside and that bubble is governed by specific laws which we cannot escape. As for the origin of the Singularity: If we have come to know that it actually was the origin of the universe using our physical laws, then why can't we determine when/if it originated?

Speaking for myself (and sorry on the out of order responses, I flicked back in the thread), it's more that I can't say anything meaningful about God. I can't define God enough for it to matter in terms of my life or actions. Perhaps there is something outside my ability to directly or indirectly discern, but if so, what impact can that have on me? At best, it is a philosophical allowance for the unexplained.

I commonly describe myself as a methodological naturalist for that reason (as opposed to a materialist) even though that probably gives some a more theistic impression of me than is accurate.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Okay, I can already come up with loads of scientific material out of religious texts but right now I can't post any links until I have at least 15 posts. But even if I come up with something with strong evidence I doubt any of the atheists here will believe in God or change their point of view.

And then I realised I'd fallen into the necro-thread trap...

LMAO!!!

leibowde84

Veteran Member
The same can be said about God. Atheists often tend to believe that there is no God because they see that there's no sufficient evidence to prove his existence. You can't prove that something exists using our natural laws when we're inside this universe because our universal laws don't apply to God. Think of it as a bubble that we're inside and that bubble is governed by specific laws which we cannot escape. As for the origin of the Singularity: If we have come to know that it actually was the origin of the universe using our physical laws, then why can't we determine when/if it originated?
Science is a relatively new endeavor. Give it time.