• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists: If there's no God, then where did the world come from?

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Baruch Spinoza (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

I swear, you all are scribes when it comes to straw mans. Truly mastered the art, I see. You all are reaching now, and I'm starting to feel pity.
Did you read your own link?

I did. And it contradicts your statement.

Please show me where Spinoza expressed the belief you ascribed to him? Because it's not in that link. Whoever wrote the article that you linked to actually knows what they are talking about.

A

angellous_evangellous

You're going to presume to tell me something that you have no idea of, instead of telling me how I'm wrong. The only obvious thing is that you don't want to go back on what you stated and nobody is going to force you because they group together out of necessity. So therefore you feel nice and cozy in your false idea.

I'm not going to re-explain my claims. It's completed and stands completely without resistance. Just about every question that has been asked has already been explained.
9-10s Penguin, it's been explained. Ritalin OD,, I don't even know what the hell it is you go on about. You seem to think that Peter Pan relates to the rationale I've been explaining, and it simply doesn't, no matter how much you try to word smith your technical arguments the truth is there in this thread.

I already showed you how you abused Einstein (on both his belief in god and his 'static theory'), abused Spinoza on his philosophy of God, and lied about the role of the Abrahamic God.

Before that, I refuted your silliness on reality and noted your abuse of the term "logic."

You have been thoroughly refuted.

As I said before, if you're going to replace rational thinking with rhetoric, you'd better be good at rhetoric. However, not knowing the most elementary definitions of words that you use, your rhetoric is just as hollow as your "argument."

A

angellous_evangellous

doppelgänger;2461884 said:

Please show me where Spinoza expressed the belief you ascribed to him? Because it's not in that link. Whoever wrote the article that you linked to actually knows what they are talking about.

I read it too. :D

Jeez louise.

waitasec

Veteran Member
doppelgänger;2461884 said:

shhhhh....don't let the cat out of the bag....

It's funny :D

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
This discussion about Einstein is hilarious. Anyone want to point out what Einstein has to say on the subject of the Abrahamic "God" or any idea of "God" that imputes personality or intentionality?

solo

" If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed" Einstein

A

angellous_evangellous

doppelgänger;2461914 said:
This discussion about Einstein is hilarious. Anyone want to point out what Einstein has to say on the subject of the Abrahamic "God" or any idea of "God" that imputes personality or intentionality?

I think it's one-sided, dopp. :D

A

angellous_evangellous

I don't know how far back you went, dopp, but the whole Spinoza thing came up when our friend presented an Einstein quote that referenced Spinoza. Now THAT was pretty damn hilarious.

I don't think that our friend anticipated that some of us were familiar with both Einstein and Spinoza.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
And how is speculation wrong when it's the only possibility?
It is not the "only" possibility.

I mean seriously, some of you have been so brainwashed by science that your intellect suffers.
Brainwashed by reality?
Careful, your dogma is showing.
You are saying that the universe didn't come from nothing and that the only alternative will be considered speculation because there is no proof.
Yep.
And theists are in denial. It seems they are more right, ironically.
Don't assume all theists, or believers in a Higher Being, agree with your disjointed appeals to ignorance.

I even provided a step by step fundamental aspect on why it is so.
A thoroughly flawed argument.
Whatever lol I have no need to be on this thread any longer.
Obviously.

This is a prominent question that is yet to be answered convincingly by atheists. I mean the world can't have come from nothing, can it?

There is abundant material on the internet explaining how the solar system and the earth likely formed. Even if we had no idea how the earth formed it wouldn't offer any credence to the religious belief that God made it in 7 days (Including the day of rest) because this creation myth has absolutely no explanatary power.

Sum1sGruj

I already showed you how you abused Einstein (on both his belief in god and his 'static theory'), abused Spinoza on his philosophy of God, and lied about the role of the Abrahamic God.

Before that, I refuted your silliness on reality and noted your abuse of the term "logic."

You have been thoroughly refuted.

As I said before, if you're going to replace rational thinking with rhetoric, you'd better be good at rhetoric. However, not knowing the most elementary definitions of words that you use, your rhetoric is just as hollow as your "argument."

Yeah, whatever, because nobody else is going to take the time to read it.

You are a liar and you are a child.

Last edited:
A

angellous_evangellous

Yeah, whatever, because nobody else is going to take the time to read it.

You are a liar and you are a child.

The first version of that post made a lot more sense.

I don't know why you're so defensive when you say something completely wrong and then someone else simply points that out.

You abused Einstein and Spinoza in the worst possible way. Sure you may have quoted them, but you did so without understanding.

And you can't even remember what you yourself said earlier in the thread.

Guess what - a lot of people here have good memories and know the work of Einstein and Spinoza. You may talk with braindead losers elsewhere, but here you can't be dishonest and get away with it.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
This is a prominent question that is yet to be answered convincingly by atheists. I mean the world can't have come from nothing, can it?

Just reviving one of my very first threads here and quoting myself from nearly half a decade ago. My, how the times have changed.

outhouse

Atheistically
Just reviving one of my very first threads here and quoting myself from nearly half a decade ago. My, how the times have changed.

Holy Necromancer!

It did not come from nothing. ;)

The earth came from exploded star material. And left over material from the formation of our sun.

Now if we go back to the BB, I will state it was probably a super massive black hole that expanded to create our universe.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Was this thread totally, 100% sincere? If so, then holy crap have you come a long way.

Out of curiosity what do you feel has most changed in your perspective from then to now?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Was this thread totally, 100% sincere? If so, then holy crap have you come a long way.

It was. I believed every word of it with strong conviction back then.

Out of curiosity what do you feel has most changed in your perspective from then to now?

1) I'm content with not knowing everything with certainty.

2) I don't believe in any gods, which is probably the most obvious change.

3) I'm open to continually measuring my perspective against available evidence as well as logic and changing my views if I find them mistaken. Following a religion with very clearly laid out basic beliefs like Islam held me back in this regard—I always felt like I had to agree with whatever the religion's core texts stated.

Those are just a few. There have been so many changes since then that I can't think of all of them offhand. I was almost an entirely different person in terms of my worldview when I created this thread.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
It was. I believed every word of it with strong conviction back then.

1) I'm content with not knowing everything with certainty.

2) I don't believe in any gods, which is probably the most obvious change.

3) I'm open to continually measuring my perspective against available evidence as well as logic and changing my views if I find them mistaken. Following a religion with very clearly laid out basic beliefs like Islam held me back in this regard—I always felt like I had to agree with whatever the religion's core texts stated.

Those are just a few. There have been so many changes since then that I can't think of all of them offhand. I was almost an entirely different person in terms of my worldview when I created this thread.
That's very interesting. As you are probably very aware, it takes an awful lot of painful introspection to be able to not only change your view, but your entire perspective on a subject like that - even over the course of half a decade. But I think it's probably even more painful to willingly go back to see the things you used to believe.

So major props. I've often told by many of my friends that debating religion like I do is completely fruitless, and honestly 99% of the time I feel like I agree, but every now and then someone is able to adjust their view - be it in favour of my own perspective or against it - and it kind of reminds me of the whole point of this exercise: to better understand each other and ourselves, and use that understanding to collectively seek the common ground.

Or, y'know, maybe I just like bashing Christians...