• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists: If there's no God, then where did the world come from?

A

angellous_evangellous

doppelgänger;2461704 said:
I was trained in historical method and I don't consider it to be scientific or really that reliable. I consider it an "art" much more so than "science." It's the process of selective story telling - making myths lined with facts, and fitting those facts to fit a moral/philosophical or social narrative framework - oftentimes one the historian (especially if they suck at it) isn't even aware they are working in.

Yes, it is. I consider it an art too. But the historians have been trying to puff themselves up by calling their methods "criticisms." :D

Sum1sGruj

I see metaphors are to much for you. That's unfortunate.

See.. that's were you are wrong. God was metaphorical in the sense that nothing created the universe, in Spinova's idea. It is it's own god.

But the universe had a beginning, physics now know this.
So, your idea is completely unfounded, and it actually reinforces my claims.

A

angellous_evangellous

See.. that's were you are wrong. God was metaphorical in the sense that nothing created the universe, in Spinova's idea. It is it's own god.

But the universe had a beginning, physics now know this.
So, your idea is completely unfounded, and it actually reinforces my claims.

You shouldn't wonder then why some people think that you're delusional.

If my idea is unfounded, do you want to pretend that it reinforces your claims??

A

angellous_evangellous

doppelgänger;2461706 said:
You mean "Spinoza"? If so, I'd like to see you cite to where he wrote about this purported belief you're ascribing to him.

Best of luck, dopp. :biglaugh:

He's already been busted on his abuse of Einstein, and refuses to admit that he was wrong. It's both painful to watch and a little entertaining.

A

angellous_evangellous

Baruch Spinoza (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

I swear, you all are scribes when it comes to straw mans. Truly mastered the art, I see. You all are reaching now, and I'm starting to feel pity.

Dopp is smarter than you, btw. :D

I recall my first day in my Ph.D. program when a senior student warned me on how to treat other students -- you may be right when you criticize, but you could find out that they are smarter than you and kick your butt somewhere public.:D

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
God is the infinite, necessarily existing (that is, uncaused), unique substance of the universe. There is only one substance in the universe; it is God; and everything else that is, is in God.

This is direct Spinova intrigue. The difference is that he believed reality itself to actually be 'god'.But we know now that the universe cannot be infinite, with no beginning like Einstein believed.
SO...

My claims hold well.
What does it mean to say that a non-personal thing has a "will"?

A

angellous_evangellous

:D ...whatever

It's true, man. It's like posting a short definition of a word from Webster's and then abusing it in an argument.

(It's also obvious that you didn't even bother to read the article in the first place)

RitalinO.D.

Suppose nothing made everything.
Right.

Zero reason, that is what you all are presenting, thinking that truth has to have some kind of 'use'.
And I said that I believe my god did it, but I never said that is Him. Another desperation on you alls part.

In fact, I was very adament about the traits such a thing would need and entertained the idea extensively.

Do you believe in Santa Claus? Easter Bunny? Peter Pan? If not, why? What makes believing in them different than believing in God? I see Santa and the Easter Bunny at the mall every year. Isn't that proof they exist?

Sum1sGruj

Do you believe in Santa Claus? Easter Bunny? Peter Pan? If not, why? What makes believing in them different than believing in God? I see Santa and the Easter Bunny at the mall every year. Isn't that proof they exist?

Santa Claus doesn't deliver gifts to my chimney, and the Easter Bunny doesn't leave baskets at my window. Peter Pan, who knows maybe so :D:D:D

I have already completed my claim, there is no point in continuing to fight it unless you have a proper idea of your own.

gnomon

I see no need to posit a flight of fancy as true to a question in which the only honest answer can be "don't know".

Sum1sGruj

It's true, man. It's like posting a short definition of a word from Webster's and then abusing it in an argument.

(It's also obvious that you didn't even bother to read the article in the first place)

You're going to presume to tell me something that you have no idea of, instead of telling me how I'm wrong. The only obvious thing is that you don't want to go back on what you stated and nobody is going to force you because they group together out of necessity. So therefore you feel nice and cozy in your false idea.

I'm not going to re-explain my claims. It's completed and stands completely without resistance. Just about every question that has been asked has already been explained.
9-10s Penguin, it's been explained. Ritalin OD,, I don't even know what the hell it is you go on about. You seem to think that Peter Pan relates to the rationale I've been explaining, and it simply doesn't, no matter how much you try to word smith your technical arguments the truth is there in this thread.