• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists reaction to Einstein Quote is good?

PureX

Veteran Member
Einstein had a wonderful gift for being able to keep his mind open to multiple and disparate views of a given subject, simultaneously. He was as much an artist in his thinking as a scientist, in that way. And a bit of a philosopher, too. He often spoke across genres and disciplines because, for him, these were not mutually exclusive avenues of reasoning or characterization. It's what made him so brilliant.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
"When the solution is simple, God is answering" (Albert Einstein).
Since when what Einstein said has become the 'Bible' for atheists? Each atheist has his own views. Yes, simple solutions are better, the simplest is "non-existence of any God". It erases the problem of God or soul; magic in creation or evolution; heaven and hell, judgment and punishment; conflict and competition in eligions, etc.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
So far, I've yet to see a mathematical
argument that sheds any light on gods.
So what if some scientists believe or
disbelieve in them? Just their opinions.
My advice:
Don't take opinions as gospel.
"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do."

...Stephen F Roberts

1-1=0.

mathematical.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Einsteins' famous quote 'God does not play dice'.
However, Einstein was not an atheist as he said himself in an interview in 1929. Einstein had his personal views about religion and he believed in what he called “cosmic religion” where God’s presence was evident in the order and rationality of nature and the universe in all its aspects and expressions. Chaos and randomness are, therefore, not part of nature (“God does not play dice”).

According to Einstein, “cosmic religious feeling is the strongest and noblest motive for scientific research”. In his opinion, the goal of a scientist should be to try to begin to understand the universe. Einstein had a deep feeling of awe in front of nature and the universe and he believed that “strenuous intellectual work and the study of God’s Nature are the angels that will lead me through all the troubles of this life with consolation, strength, and uncompromising rigor” (letter to Pauline Winteler, 1897).
Physics and Beyond: “God does not play dice”, What did Einstein mean? (stmarys.ac.uk)
Hmm, this is slightly misleading. What Einstein seems to have thought is that the order in nature is what we mean when we speak of God. In other words, The order is not "evidence of" God, it is God.

As other posts point out, Einstein is on record as saying he did not believe in a personal God. So he did not believe in, say, the Abrahamic conception of God. His idea was closer to Spinoza's idea of God: a principle of the universe, not a person.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
Einstein had a wonderful gift for being able to keep his mind open to multiple and disparate views of a given subject, simultaneously. He was as much an artist in his thinking as a scientist, in that way. And a bit of a philosopher, too. He often spoke across genres and disciplines because, for him, these were not mutually exclusive avenues of reasoning or characterization. It's what made him so brilliant.
Though he was pretty scathing about Abrahamic religions, the bible in particular.

Heyo

Veteran Member
The atheistic ideology rolls over RF and other internet sites, and main journals.
That is why I need the acceptance of this quote from atheistic community.
I need to be sure, that my proof of Riemann Hypothesis will not
be rejected just because this Einstein's quote is in the introduction.

What is your advice, is it good for pure mathematical paper to have such quotes in introduction, they are describing the simplicity of the results.

Is this a good, acceptable quote for a scientific paper, for example like this one:

Dmitri Martila, Stefan Groote, Stats, 5 (2): 538-545 (2022).
Evaluation of the Gauss Integral
The paper is the first analytical form of the Error Function in Eq.(A6),
which is of utmost ease and elegance. By definition, a function is analytical
if it has a converging Taylor series.
Even though, as has been pointed out repeatedly, the quote is apocryphal, I don't think it would have any influence on rejection or acceptance of a paper.
If, however, the paper gets rejected for an other reason, I see the rejection prefaced by an H. L. Menken qoute: "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Einstein on 24 March 1954: It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly.

Obviously you are one of the dishonest theists he was talking about, since there's no evidence that he actually said the quote you are trying to attribute to him. How naughty of you.
That letter , penned by Einstein himself , actually exists. Glad you pointed that out.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The atheistic ideology rolls over RF and other internet sites, and main journals.

I'd say Albert was speaking more clearly when he said ─

A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death.

─ Albert Einstein, "Religion and Science", New York Times Magazine, 1930 Nov 9​

questfortruth

I'd say Albert was speaking more clearly when he said ─

A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death.

─ Albert Einstein, "Religion and Science", New York Times Magazine, 1930 Nov 9​
He was just a Physicist. Not even a strong mathematician. Let alone a theolog.

RestlessSoul

What is your advice, is it good for pure mathematical paper to have such quotes in introduction, they are describing the simplicity of the results.

Is this a good, acceptable quote for a scientific paper, for example like this one:

If you think the quote illustrates your point, and adds a little poetic colour, then I would say use it.

If you believe in what you are doing and what you have to say, keep doing and saying it; “This above all; to thine own self be true. And it shall follow as the night the day, thou canst not then be false to any man”. Polonius says that to his son Laertes, in Hamlet.

I like this from Paul Dirac, in a similar vein to your Einstein quote I think;

“If one is working from the point of view of getting beauty into one’s equations, one is on a sure line of progress.”

Dirac’s observation reflects, perhaps consciously, perhaps not, these lines from John Keats’ Ode on a Grecian Urn

“Beauty is truth, truth beauty. That is all
Ye know on Earth, and all ye need to know.”

Whilst beauty and simplicity may be reliable guides to truth, sometimes we have to look beneath the surface of things to find that “something deeply hidden”, for true beauty is not always immediately apparent.

RestlessSoul

Lemme stop you right there. There is no such thing as "atheistic ideology".

And yet on this forum we daily see the same carefully rehearsed but often ill considered arguments, trotted out with tiresome regularity by the usual suspects. That smacks of ideology to me.

Last edited:

Clara Tea

What did Einstein mean when he remarked: 'When the solution is simple, God is answering'? - Quora

THE EINSTEIN QUOTATION IS A HOAX: (SOURCE: QUORA, LINK ABOVE) ""When the solution is simple, God is answering" (Albert Einstein)."

Einstein never said that. Furthermore, in another post, I showed that Einstein said that God doesn't exist, it is some scam that someone is perpetrating.

Clara Tea

Why do you think that he was not a strong mathematician?

Evidence please.

Einstein had to go to Dr. Minkowski for math advice. But that was because, back then, physicists didn't have to learn that type of math. It doesn't mean that Einstein was weak in math, it just meant that he didn't have the background that a mathematician had.

Once Einstein got the right equations for his theories, he than had to study them in order to understand the nature of his equations. Sometimes math answers questions that we never asked.