• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists: What Do Gods Do?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I would suggest that intolerance of beliefs which differ from our own, is the greater danger.
Interestingly, that tend to come very predictably and very consistently from enthusiastic theists.

Which underscores my point. Careless belief in the literal existence of one's deity is a very real, very worrisome danger.

We Never Know

No Slack
Placebo's are a very well understood phenomenon.
It is pretty well known that mere beliefs (regardless of accuracy) can very well have an effect, for better or worse, on the physical body / physiology.

If you are trying to say that gods in fact can "exist" as psychological constructs... then sure. Darth Vader exists in the same way.

When you have to start fogging up the meaning of the word "real" in an attempt to try and smuggle in imagined characters as belonging to the realm of "real", it kind of speaks volumes about the strength of your case in support of these characters.

"If you are trying to say that gods in fact can "exist" as psychological constructs... then sure. Darth Vader exists in the same way"

No one I know believes in, worships or prays to Darth Vader.

RestlessSoul

Interestingly, that tend to come very predictably and very consistently from enthusiastic theists.

Which underscores my point. Careless belief in the literal existence of one's deity is a very real, very worrisome danger.

Tolerance is a predictable quality of believers, and is not to be tolerated? Is that what you’re arguing?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
No, it doesn’t. Actions and behaviours may be intolerable, but not beliefs, which are generally personal.
What would you consider the proper way to deal with actions and behaviours that attempt to present themselves as justifiable due to obedience to beliefs that are central tenets of aggressively proselitistic doctrines, though?

Little Dragon

What would you consider the proper way to deal with actions and behaviours that attempt to present themselves as justifiable due to obedience to beliefs that are central tenets of aggressively proselitistic doctrines, though?
Double think is the only illogical solution to that predicament.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Hmmm...maybe. However, isn't it inevitable that beliefs translate into actions and behaviours?
In what is often considered mainstream Abrahamic religion?

Sure. Quite the distortion if you ask me.

Outside that admittedly very influential scope, though? Not nearly so much. Most (and most healthy) religions know better than to be hostages of their own beliefs and keep a measure of respect for reality.

RestlessSoul

Hmmm...maybe. However, isn't it inevitable that beliefs translate into actions and behaviours?

Even so, if a person is to be judged, that judgement should always be on the basis of their actions not their beliefs.

And one should always be wary of judging others; those who rush to do so, are frequently pointing out defects they recognise but refuse to acknowledge in themselves.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Tolerance is a predictable quality of believers, and is not to be tolerated? Is that what you’re arguing?
Nope. Quite the opposite; belief, when taken as a central element of so-called religion, is actually anathema to tolerance and many other desirable qualities - including IMO proper religiosity.