• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists: What Do Gods Do?

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
Congratulations. You just listed all the qualities of the God of Abraham.

So clearly, this isn't the best way to answer the challenge. Nice try, though.

Maybe the best way to answer the challenge in the OP is directly; by picking any god or gods from any religion beyond the Abrahamic paradigm and listing the qualities and/or attributes of that god(s) (without googling) and that god's purpose in that respective paradigm as it relates to that god's followers.

No, I was listing properties of deities that have existed for centuries independently of the Abrahamic concept, which was just another version of a deity. You asked for atheists to give their ideas about what gods are independently of the Abrahamic paradigm, and I gave you mine. For some reason, you weren't receptive to my list. You have some ideas of your own that are exclusive of it. I wouldn't mind it if you actually said what your idea of a god is rather than telling everyone else that you think they are ignorant of what a god is if they disagree with your unstated position. However, you chose not to elaborate.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
No, I was listing properties of deities that have existed for centuries independently of the Abrahamic concept, which was just another version of a deity. You asked for atheists to give their ideas about what gods are independently of the Abrahamic paradigm, and I gave you mine. For some reason, you weren't receptive to my list. You have some ideas of your own that are exclusive of it. I wouldn't mind it if you actually said what your idea of a god is rather than telling everyone else that you think they are ignorant of what a god is if they disagree with your unstated position. However, you chose not to elaborate.
It really is as @SalixIncendium said. You described a very, very Abrahamic model of deity.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
No, I was listing properties of deities that have existed for centuries independently of the Abrahamic concept, which was just another version of a deity. You asked for atheists to give their ideas about what gods are independently of the Abrahamic paradigm, and I gave you mine. For some reason, you weren't receptive to my list.
To offer some insight on some why's of this from someone who isn't Abrahamic - something I've noticed is that folks interpret non-Abrahamic theology through a distinctly Abrahamic lens. The result is they project Abrahamic assumptions onto these theologies and consequently fail to really understand them on their own terms. It's usually unintentional... Abrahamic theology and religion simply has that much of a stranglehold on how folks in the West approach understanding theology and religion. So much of a stranglehold folks can't think outside of that box even if they want to. This bias is more well-known and minded in modern cultural studies, but the general public hasn't really caught up to that. I try to remember that every single time I notice stuff like this as a non-Abrahamic and start getting frustrated over and over again at folks not understanding (or worse, straight up disregarding) non-Abrahamic theology and religion on its own terms.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
My instructions for the exercise were quite clear. But you instead decided to list the qualities of what you perceive a deity to be, which are very Abrahamic. If you don't know any gods or their qualities beyond that paradigm, it's okay. No one, least of all I, will judge you for it.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I could answer, as can Pagans, Dharmics, and LHPers, but that would break the thread, now, wouldn't it? ;)

Well, okay, then I'll use the dictionary: Definition of GOD

God : the supreme or ultimate reality: such as
a
: the Being perfect in power, wisdom, and goodness who is worshipped (as in Judaism, Christianity, Islam, and Hinduism) as creator and ruler of the universe
Throughout the patristic and medieval periods, Christian theologians taught that God created the universe …—Jame Schaefer

… the Supreme Being or God, the personal form of the Ultimate Reality, is conceived by Hindus as having various aspects.—Sunita Pant Bansal

b
Christian Science : the incorporeal divine Principle ruling over all as eternal Spirit : infinite Mind

or less commonly God : a being or object that is worshipped as having more than natural attributes and powers
specifically : one controlling a particular aspect or part of reality
Greek gods of love and war

: a person or thing of supreme value
had photos of baseball's gods pinned to his bedroom wall

: a powerful ruler
Hollywood gods that control our movies' fates

So, we'll disregard the first definition, as that clearly refers to the Christian, Abrahamic God.

The second definition might fit: "a being or object that is worshipped as having more than natural attributes and powers
specifically : one controlling a particular aspect or part of reality"

However, this definition also implies some level of "supernatural," or "magical" abilities which would be in common with the Abrahamic perceptions - and would also be rejected by atheists for the same reasons.

The third and fourth definitions refer to human beings who are highly venerated and worshiped, yet would not really be considered "gods" in the literal sense.

vulcanlogician

I'm asking atheists to pick any god or gods from any religion beyond the Abrahamic paradigm and list the qualities and/or attributes of that god(s) (without googling) and that god's purpose in that respective paradigm as it relates to that god's followers.

I'd like to pick Krishna as he is portrayed in the Bhagavad Gita. He doesn't do anything. He just is. And his existence is fundamental to the world. That's my kinda God!

Most gods don't genuinely serve a purpose. They just get in the way. At worst, they meddle, interfere, or lead people to delusion. But not ol' Krishna. That dude just is.

Not that I think Krishna, as he is portrayed in the Gita, exists or anything. I don't. I tend to see Krishna as an abstract way of saying "reality." I prefer to use the term "reality".

"Krishna" has all sorts of associations attached to it. It also assumes some kind of personhood. (Though if you read between the lines of the Gita, maybe not.)

Regardless, as far as gods go, I don't really believe in gods, nor do I think they "do" anything. But Krishna is probably my favorite of the "do-nothing" gods. At least Krishna has the balls to come out and say that he doesn't serve any human purposes, y'know?

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd like to pick Krishna as he is portrayed in the Bhagavad Gita. He doesn't do anything. He just is. And his existence is fundamental to the world. That's my kinda God!

Most gods don't genuinely serve a purpose. They just get in the way. At worst, they meddle, interfere, or lead people to delusion. But not ol' Krishna. That dude just is.

Not that I think Krishna, as he is portrayed in the Gita, exists or anything. I don't. I tend to see Krishna as an abstract way of saying "reality." I prefer to use the term "reality".

"Krishna" has all sorts of associations attached to it. It also assumes some kind of personhood. (Though if you read between the lines of the Gita, maybe not.)

Regardless, as far as gods go, I don't really believe in gods, nor do I think they "do" anything. But Krishna is probably my favorite of the "do-nothing" gods. At least Krishna has the balls to come out and say that he doesn't serve any human purposes, y'know?
I've been waiting for the last 9 pages for someone to mention Krishna.

Thank you for this!

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Then the question still remains: What would serve as an example of a very, very non-Abrahamic model of deity?
Indeed, that is a very good question. Does it even have a fair, proper answer?

Perhaps not. Even the Abrahamic deities are fairly unlike each other, despite a duty of sorts to be very similar.

MikeF

Premium Member
Fair enough. But what happens next?If y ou stand unconvinced, then what?

With all due respect, I don't think that there are many people willing to reconsider their beliefs because they have not convinced you. Unless you happen to be some form of religious authority that the believer accepts as such, of course.

In an environment like this website, I see it as intended to be a public square in which thoughts and ideas on a wide variety of topics can be shared and evaluated and tested by others. In this environment, I am not only interacting with the person with whom I’m engaged in dialogue, but passively also with people following along with the conversation.

While it is often the case that those engaged in dialogue may remain confident in their position, the whole process of getting to that stalemate shares the knowledge and experiences of those participating with both the active and passive audience. We do not all have the same experiences, educational focus, or interests. Not everyone has a strong position on every subject or may be wholly unfamiliar with a particular subject. I know that I have been exposed to new things participating on this site. So, while I and the person I am engaged with may not be moved from our initial positions by the end, someone else who may have been unaware of some of the points presented by either side may find it valuable and incorporate it into their own understanding. I see value merely in the process of the exchange.

That is true enough of subjects of consensual reality.

“Consensual reality.” What an interesting turn of phrase. I’m sure I don’t know what you mean by it.

Deities are simply not likely to be a part of that group. Often enough their reason for being includes either transcendence of those limitations or failure to be coherent enough to qualify.

When you use the term “deities” here, are you referring to them as concepts or as actual, existent things? It is often hard to tell when folks make declarative statements like that. It can go both ways depending on the individual.

In all honesty and with all respect, I think that we are simply starting from dissimilar understandings of what deities are and what they are supposed to be, and neither of us has any significant motivation towards bridging that gap.

I was unaware there was a gap that needed bridging.

For me, and I would argue most people, our understanding of any word develops from our experiences in the way that the word is used by others. Would you describe your understanding of deities and what they are supposed to be as one that is broadly held by most people? If you see your view as a minority view, to what extent would you estimate?

It is also of note that you use the term ‘deity’ often instead of ‘god’ which the latter has predominantly been used in this thread. Are the terms synonymous in your usage or are they different terms, different concepts?

Mainly, I also suspect, because we do not use those concepts for very similar purposes.
I am not entirely sure of your own perspective, but it seems to have a lot more time and consideration for those two concepts than I am willing to give them.

Funny you should draw that conclusion. I make a concerted effort to use the term ‘entity’ in place of ‘deity’, ‘god’, or ‘God’ unless I am explicitly talking about the terms themselves as opposed to what they are meant to be pointing to in order to highlight to the other person that I am not going to give a blanket acceptance to their host of preconceptions and assumptions that underpin their use of those words. I sometimes drift to common usage, but I am working to be as consistent as I can.

I am interested in encouraging religious people to transcend god-beliefs entirely - not so that they become non-theists, but rather in the hope that they develop better, more solid and more constructive forms of religiosity.

I suppose we will have to leave what constitutes better, more solid and more constructive forms of religiosity to another thread. :)

In a nutshell, I think that it is well worth disregarding deities in order to understand and even protect the religious doctrines and practicioners when the need arises. You seem to hold the deities as much less questionable and much more solid and trustworthy concepts than I ever attempted to.

Again, if I appear to hold the definition of ‘deity’ or ‘god’ in some firm fashion, it is entirely the result of how those terms have been presented and used within my experience.

As to your synopsis, it seems that there are things you are dissatisfied with in the current overarching religious paradigm but are seeking to not throw the baby out with the bath water, that despite the problems, you see value that is worth preserving. I suppose we shall have to leave the details of that utopian vision for another time.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
I choose Baiame. He is the creator God of the Worimi people who are the traditional owners of the area where I live. Not a lot is known about him because of the appalling treatment of Aboriginals by us Europeans and the early Christian missionaries tried to hijack him as the Christian God. I tried doing some research about 20 years ago but it was difficult because a lot of the knowledge is lost and/or only passed onto initiated men of the various tribes that have Baiame belief.

The basic story is that he came from the spirit world and created the land, rivers, mountains, swamps, forests. He gave laws and songs to the people then launched back into the spirit world where he lives with his two wives. That's about the sum total of my knowledge. I could drive you to see the mountain he launched back into the spirit world from, it has a flattened top he created when he jumped. There's also a cave painting a couple of hours from where I live that is believed to be Baiame.
Did I pass the test? I was hoping to get in a heated slanging match with @SalixIncendium

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
In an environment like this website, I see it as intended to be a public square in which thoughts and ideas on a wide variety of topics can be shared and evaluated and tested by others. In this environment, I am not only interacting with the person with whom I’m engaged in dialogue, but passively also with people following along with the conversation.

While it is often the case that those engaged in dialogue may remain confident in their position, the whole process of getting to that stalemate shares the knowledge and experiences of those participating with both the active and passive audience. We do not all have the same experiences, educational focus, or interests. Not everyone has a strong position on every subject or may be wholly unfamiliar with a particular subject. I know that I have been exposed to new things participating on this site. So, while I and the person I am engaged with may not be moved from our initial positions by the end, someone else who may have been unaware of some of the points presented by either side may find it valuable and incorporate it into their own understanding. I see value merely in the process of the exchange.

Fair enough.

“Consensual reality.” What an interesting turn of phrase. I’m sure I don’t know what you mean by it.

Things that are well agreed to exist, to be real. In contrast to the subjective and personal reality of other subject matters.

When you use the term “deities” here, are you referring to them as concepts or as actual, existent things? It is often hard to tell when folks make declarative statements like that. It can go both ways depending on the individual.

I never speak of deities as actual, existing entities.

I was unaware there was a gap that needed bridging.

I think there is, regarding our respective views of the usage and meaning of the concepts of gods and deities.

For me, and I would argue most people, our understanding of any word develops from our experiences in the way that the word is used by others. Would you describe your understanding of deities and what they are supposed to be as one that is broadly held by most people?

Heck, no! What would the point even be?

If you see your view as a minority view, to what extent would you estimate?

Hard to say. My views on deities may well be mine alone - and probably not all that stable along time and across circunstances even with after that restriction is imposed.

Which is just how I like them, and far as I can tell the one and only proper use of those ideas.

It is also of note that you use the term ‘deity’ often instead of ‘god’ which the latter has predominantly been used in this thread. Are the terms synonymous in your usage or are they different terms, different concepts?

Equivalent to me. "Deity" sounds slightly less Abrahamic, though. But I never refer to Abrahamic deities without meaning to criticize them, which is not what I want to do in this thread.

Funny you should draw that conclusion. I make a concerted effort to use the term ‘entity’ in place of ‘deity’, ‘god’, or ‘God’ unless I am explicitly talking about the terms themselves as opposed to what they are meant to be pointing to in order to highlight to the other person that I am not going to give a blanket acceptance to their host of preconceptions and assumptions that underpin their use of those words. I sometimes drift to common usage, but I am working to be as consistent as I can.

Fair enough. It just happens that I never do that myself.

I suppose we will have to leave what constitutes better, more solid and more constructive forms of religiosity to another thread. :)

Is that so? I would think that this is pretty much the central purpose of this thread, albeit by gentle means.

Again, if I appear to hold the definition of ‘deity’ or ‘god’ in some firm fashion, it is entirely the result of how those terms have been presented and used within my experience.

I could say much the same about myself... but apparently meaning the opposite.

As to your synopsis, it seems that there are things you are dissatisfied with in the current overarching religious paradigm but are seeking to not throw the baby out with the bath water,

I am not sure I even believe that there is such an overarching paradigm; if pressed against the wall I would probably admit that I do not and that I do not particularly want one to exist.

And I guess I do want to throw out the bathtub water at long last, so that the baby can reach its potential.

that despite the problems, you see value that is worth preserving. I suppose we shall have to leave the details of that utopian vision for another time.

Ok.

Last edited: