• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Australian Bushfires - God's Wrath?

Millobin

There has been a fair bit of coverage lately here in Australia, about American fundamentalist preachers claiming that the recent bushfires were god's punishment for a whole range of things the preachers claim are going on in Australia. One even went so far as to say he hoped "more Australian would be burned alive."

To us (Australians) this is creepy to the point where it is indistinguishable from Islamic fundamentalists calling down a jihad.

What do others think?

Last edited:

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
It makes their god out to be some sort of mafia boss.

"Gee, it'd be a shame if sumpthin' were to happin' to this nice country youse got here. Do what I want, and I can guarantee your safety."

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Millobin, on behalf of my country I just want to say, DON'T TAKE THESE CREEPS SERIOUSLY!! WE DON'T. WE JUST KEEP THEM AROUND FOR LAUGHS AND IN CASE THERE'S A FERTILIZER SHORTAGE.

Seriously, these people are obviously mentally ill.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
To us (Australians) this is creepy to the point where it is indistinguishable from Islamic fundamentalists calling down a jihad.

In some ways there's not much difference between some of our Christian fundamentalists and some Islamic fundamentalists.

challupa

There has been a fair bit of coverage lately here in Australia, about American fundamentalist preachers claiming that the recent bushfires were god's punishment for a whole range of things the preachers claim are going on in Australia. One even went so far as to say he hoped "more Australian would be burned alive."

What do others think?
That's sick! However I've heard it before. These American fundamentalists said the same thing about America when 911 happened. So don't take it too personal. They tend to say that about any country that has a catastrophy. It seems to bring the "best out in them"!!:eek: Like Sunstone said, there is very little difference between fundamentalists of any ilk.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Not that I doubt it, but what fundies in particular are saying this? It strikes me as odd for Australia to even be on an American Christian fundamentalist's radar.

Luminous

non-existential luminary

What do others think?
ditto, but these people have no other life. what are they supposed to do but be obnoxious. certainly they cannot go to strip clubs.
Besides, Christians die all the time too.

challupa

Doing a quick google search it looks like it is Australian fundamentalists because of some abortion law.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
No. No natural disaster or such is from God's wrath. Those preachers you mention are mostly ignored by us- as Quagmire pointed out.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard

What do others think?

LMFAO these people need to be put in the middle of the fires to test it. If they really are closer to god they will be saved right? Fundamentallists get more rediculous every crisis, it makes me scared. These fires were arson, cant american preachers understand anything but the bible?

As an Australian, this is an insult. Unfortunately god bdoes not punish stupidity, in fact i think he rewards it.

Ozzie

Not that I doubt it, but what fundies in particular are saying this? It strikes me as odd for Australia to even be on an American Christian fundamentalist's radar.
The next time a Katrina blows in on their back door, they'll blame Australians for that too I suppose.:rolleyes:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
From the Metropolitan Community Church's website:
"So, now that is all clear, to wit: God hates Australia and Australia hates God, let us speak to the fact that God is causing fires in one part of Australia killing hundreds, then in another part of Austrlia God is sending floods."

They also plan to picket the Rod Lever Arena in Melbourne on the the 22nd of this month....

rojse

RF Addict

What do others think?

Do you have a link or two for this, Millobin?

I never got this line of reasoning myself, but of we were to extrapolate this, we should interpret events such as church roof collapses in the same manner.