• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Banning ‘Woke’ Words in State Documents, Arkansas Governor Signs Executive Order

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Do the feelings of trans women matter?

Yes, but from a utilitarian perspective, since they are outnumbered about 100,000 to 1, we must discard one-sided solutions. This is NOT to say we should ignore trans people's valid concerns. It is ONLY to say our solutions for them should not be zero sum.

icehorse

Premium Member
Calling something “common sense“ is a cheap tactic to make the unjustified seem justified without providing evidence or a reasonable argument. And the nonsensical garbage you are spewing is only going to make women feel more uncomfortable.
tell us how male perps will somehow ignore this new opportunity...

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Yes, but from a utilitarian perspective, since they are outnumbered about 100,000 to 1, we must discard one-sided solutions. This is NOT to say we should ignore trans people's valid concerns. It is ONLY to say our solutions for them should not be zero sum.
I have to say, this idea that it it is ethically justifiable to discriminate against a minority because they are a minority is a disgusting perversion of utilitarian ethics.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
The concern is that of NORMALIZING people who look like men going into women's safe spaces. Go do a search on gender ****.

I have. We've talked about this very subject in the past. It's not convincing to me as "gender ****" is a tiny, tiny fringe group of people who don't represent trans people any more than the westboro Baptist church represents all of christianity. It's an intellectually dishonest misrepresentation

Demonizing a whole people group based on slippery slope fallacies because some people feel "uncomfortable" with it ain't a compelling reason to me

icehorse

Premium Member
I have to say, this idea that it it is ethically justifiable to discriminate against a minority because they are a minority is a disgusting perversion of utilitarian ethics.

Wow, what a libelous misrepresentation of my statements!!

icehorse

Premium Member
I have. We've talked about this very subject in the past. It's not convincing to me as "gender ****" is a tiny, tiny fringe group of people who don't represent trans people any more than the westboro Baptist church represents all of christianity. It's an intellectually dishonest misrepresentation
Nope, you're still not getting it. Sure, the trans population is small and the gender **** population is smaller still.

But the impact that the gender ****ers can have on normalization is significant. As I'm sure you know, radical extremists can shift overton windows, correct?

Demonizing a whole people group based on slippery slope fallacies because some people feel "uncomfortable" with it ain't a compelling reason to me
I'm not demonizing trans people. I do think the gender ****ers are being quite selfish however.

And AGAIN, this is not about feeling uncomfortable. This is about feeling legitimate fear.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
Nope, you're still not getting it.

Then explain exactly what I'm not getting

Sure, the trans population is small and the gender **** population is smaller still.

You are talking about them in the same breath like they are part of the same category. They are not. Extreme fringe groups do not represent anything other than themselves

But the impact that the gender ****ers can have on normalization is significant

You saying that something is true doesn't make it true. Show me evidence of what they have done that's of any significance in the real world

As I'm sure you know, radical extremists can shift overton windows, correct?

That's a slippery slope fallacy. Some movements make strides, others fizzle out and die. There needs to be good evidence to support bold claims, otherwise you are just basing things on assumption

I'm not demonizing trans people. I do think the gender ****ers are being quite selfish however.

You bringing up gender **** doesn't make it have anything to do with normal everyday trans people

And AGAIN, this is not about feeling uncomfortable. This is about feeling legitimate fear.

Experiencing fear doesn't make that fear legitimate - hence phobias. Transphobia is a very illegitimate fear to have

icehorse

Premium Member
You saying that something is true doesn't make it true. Show me evidence of what they have done that's of any significance in the real world

Frequently, that's not how society works. Frequently, we use our noggins to make likely predictions about how an action might turn out, and we sometimes advert tragedies before they might transpire.

It's not complex: ANY ACTIONS by ANY PEOPLE that make it normal for men to enter women's safe spaces are to be avoided.
Experiencing fear doesn't make that fear legitimate - hence phobias. Transphobia is a very illegitimate fear to have

FFS - this has NOTHING to do with fear of trans people!

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
Frequently, that's not how society works. Frequently, we use our noggins to make likely predictions about how an action might turn out, and we sometimes advert tragedies before they might transpire.

Depends. When those predictions are based on good evidence, like how seat belts help prevent car accident deaths or how smoking causes lung cancer, predictions based on good evidence averts tragedies. Predictions NOT based on good evidence actually tends to CREATE tragedies, like when we locked away countless Japanese Americans into internment camps during WW2 because we thought a few of them could be spies. Acting on fear without a concrete foundation of good evidence to build from is a bad way of thinking

It's not complex: ANY ACTIONS by ANY PEOPLE that make it normal for men to enter women's safe spaces are to be avoided.

No one is talking about men entering women's bathrooms. We are talking about trans women

FFS - this has NOTHING to do with fear of trans people!

Oh cool, then you have no problem trans women having the freedom to use women's restrooms

F1fan

Veteran Member
If it was Jews you were referring to instead of trans women I wonder if you would post such a thing.

icehorse

Premium Member
If it was Jews you were referring to instead of trans women I wonder if you would post such a thing.

What, that we should constrain ourselves from considering zero sum solutions? I don't think we should ever consider zero sum solutions, for anyone, unless and until all other options have been considered.

Perhaps we have different definitions of zero-sum???

F1fan

Veteran Member
What, that we should constrain ourselves from considering zero sum solutions? I don't think we should ever consider zero sum solutions, for anyone, unless and until all other options have been considered.

Perhaps we have different definitions of zero-sum???
I think your bias against marginalized groups is what the problem is. You still haven't explained what your problem is with trans people.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
Jazz hands hasn't worked, hmmm...

Biological men should not enter women's safe spaces.

Ahhh ok. Those biological men just happen to be trans. Trans women like this should be forced to use mens rooms and men's locker rooms, right?

photo.jpg

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Ahhh ok. Those biological men just happen to be trans. Trans women like this should be forced to use mens rooms and men's locker rooms, right?

photo.jpg
That's what the posts appear to allude to.
I sense a game...with suggestive claims
leading to inferences objected to using
plausible deniability.
Or it could simply be disorganized thinking,
& poor communication skills.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
That's what the posts appear to allude to.
I sense a game...with suggestive claims
leading to inferences objected to using
plausible deniability.
Or it could simply be disorganized thinking,
& poor communication skills.

Eh... It could be construed as disorganized thinking and poor communication skills if I hadn't seen how the sentiment has been expressed over such a long period of time. Seems rather consistent to me