• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Believing in god is NOT a choice

We often don't have choice in what we believe. If you are born homeless and raised on the streets your concept of life may be much different than mine, and it didn’t come by choice. If you are raised a preachers kid and he has done a good job teaching you his religion, you will naturally believe what you are taught without any choice on your part at all. But there comes a time in most of our lives when we can make a choice as to what we will believe about God. When the preacher’s kid goes off to college and is faced with volumes of science questions that raise doubts about his religion, he will have to choose what he believes. As the kid on the street grows up and faces what life brings his way, he may get that chance also. He may or may not depending on whether he is introduced to the concept of God or not. When we have been given the ability to choose through knowledge of another option, we will choose. We get the ability to choose when we have been educated about what our options are. Whether we look at the world and suffering and decide there could be no God, or if all our experiences have convinced us that there has to be a God, it is choice if we understand what our choices are.

idea

Question Everything
If you are born homeless and raised on the streets your concept of life may be much different than mine, and it didn’t come by choice. If you are raised a preachers kid and he has done a good job teaching you his religion, you will naturally believe what you are taught without any choice on your part at all. ....

There is a HUGE diversity of people who are Christians, from all walks of life, all nationalities / backgrounds. People who have nothing in common with one another except one thing - their religious belief. Different personalities types, different careers, different incomes, different countries, etc. etc.

idea

Question Everything
Storm the concept of unconscious choice is that you may take actions without being aware of either your reasons for taking the actions or the actions themselves.

that is not a "choice". Yes, not all actions are from a choice. Will requires "willpower". Most people do not use their willpower for much. It does exist, and at some point, most people do use it though.

I agree with storm. There is no such thing as "unconscious choice" - if you are unconscieous of it, then it is not a choice. Like saying a "square circle".

idea

Question Everything
"God wants me to join x denomination, because they're the True Christians (TM)," that's on your head.

Truth has to be there somewhere. To say the true church does not exist, is to say truth itself does not exist.

There is a HUGE diversity of people who are Christians, from all walks of life, all nationalities / backgrounds. People who have nothing in common with one another except one thing - their religious belief. Different personalities types, different careers, different incomes, different countries, etc. etc.
They all should have one thing in common; they all should have been taught about Jesus if they aren't Christian in name only. There is a wider range of people who believe in God. Religious beliefs vary widely. But choice of what to believe comes to most people at some point in life.

Sententia

that is not a "choice". Yes, not all actions are from a choice. Will requires "willpower". Most people do not use their willpower for much. It does exist, and at some point, most people do use it though.

I agree with storm. There is no such thing as "unconscious choice" - if you are unconscieous of it, then it is not a choice. Like saying a "square circle".

:) I gather. Whats odd is normally I am the opponent of free will and here many are arguing actions we take without being consciously aware of why means we have no free will as we did not choose are just products of our environment and upbringing. Like robots.

You are responsible for all your actions. Some of your actions will be conscious and others will be unconscious. Some are easy... breathing... sleep walking... blinking.... sneezing... obviously not your choice.... others... believing in god, not believing, marrying the one you did, not marrying others etc etc were driven in part by unconscious choices.

Now the argument begins that if you were unconscious of something how could you have chosen. When made aware of the reasons behind the unconscious decisions the equation changes... some claim they did choose others not so.... some feel deceived others reject it entirely and believe in chance and fate.

I find it hard to believe you have never come across this argument or googled things related to it or never read anything concerning conscious and unconscious choice.

While I welcome you to the opinion that you must be aware of something in order to consider it your choice I personally disagree.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Storm the concept of unconscious choice is that you may take actions without being aware of either your reasons for taking the actions or the actions themselves.

The debate of which I already said would be more at home in a thread about free will but will, quite frankly, not cease to be based on your say so.

Further you defining choice misses the point. We are not debating what a choice is but the freedom to make the choice. You can choose... that is... MAKE a choice unconsciously or consciously.

I, most likely, unconsciously made the choice to leave faith and gods and superstition behind before I consciously chose to do so.

You lost your way with your first logical fallacy:

Which i took to mean that either choice as you are defining it or some choices are deliberate.

What you seem to be implying is: (Red Clarifications Mine)

Which of course is false.
Whatever, Balance. :rolleyes: You can be right about anything if you redefine enough words.

kai

ragamuffin
This is a popular cop out...

What does it mean exactly?

At some point you were told about god. At some point you were also told about tooth fairies, santa and leprechauns.

You either consciously or unconsciously chose to believe. If you think you had no choice what does that mean?

i dont know! but did you ever get that little uneasy feeling about not beleiving in Fairies or Santa ? No me neither, and what? you dont believe in Leprechauns?

Sententia

Whatever, Balance. :rolleyes: You can be right about anything if you redefine enough words.

Nothing was redefined. Unconscious and conscious factors lead to actions and of those actions you consciously or unconsciously choose to act.

It has nothing to do with me being right either. You simply seem unfamiliar with the philosophy of choice or psychology but choose to argue with me as an authority based on your lengthy studies of the word choice in the dictionary. :foot:

Thats like you looking up "god" in Webster's and then arguing you are now the authority on god. :angel2:

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Whereas you haven't cited anything as basic as a dictionary. Probably because you're just pulling it out of your ***, and you know it. But again, whatever. You can have the last word as you return to my ignore list.

Sententia

They all should have one thing in common; they all should have been taught about Jesus if they aren't Christian in name only. There is a wider range of people who believe in God. Religious beliefs vary widely. But choice of what to believe comes to most people at some point in life.

A few people have stated religion is a choice but not their belief in god. I question that as I have met kids who believe in santa, god, the easter bunny and leprechauns and then when they got older they put away their childish things.

;)

A few people have stated religion is a choice but not their belief in god. I question that as I have met kids who believe in santa, god, the easter bunny and leprechauns and then when they got older they put away their childish things.

;)
Yes I understand what you are saying. But some of us were able to realize that faith in God is far different than childish belief in santa, easter bunny, leprechauns or the tooth fairy. We have experienced things in our lives that have convinced us that God is alive and knows us by name. Our experiences have allowed us to choose to believe even when science may demand that we shouldn't.

Sententia

Yes I understand what you are saying. But some of us were able to realize that faith in God is far different than childish belief in santa, easter bunny, leprechauns or the tooth fairy. We have experienced things in our lives that have convinced us that God is alive and knows us by name. Our experiences have allowed us to choose to believe even when science may demand that we shouldn't.

Correct. There is something that allows you to deem certain things rational that many others would deem irrational.

Correct. There is something that allows you to deem certain things rational that many others would deem irrational.
I agree. There is something in me that allows me to do that.
[FONT=&quot]"To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory": Colossians 1:27[/FONT]

Sententia

I agree. There is something in me that allows me to do that.
[FONT=&quot]"To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory": Colossians 1:27[/FONT]

Not sure what that means.

Sorry I was interrupted before. I will continue. Unlike others who seem to now currently being exploring various forms of free will philosophies and what they mean and learning that I was not arguing but pointing out that starting with a logical fallacy as your basis to argue will only make you look foolish..... Wow... thats a long unlike... haha...

Ok.. So yeah unlike the others so far you seem to have an actual thought out opinion.

Ok... So lets discuss the basics:

What makes The Story and Concept of Jesus less Childish then the Story and Concept of Santa Claus? (I'm not looking for *the* answer... just your answer and opinion)

How did you come to a belief in Jesus and what makes this relatively new god fantasy more appealing to you then say Ra, Set, Isis or Allah?

Do you think you ever made a Choice to follow Jesus? Were you born innately knowing Jesus is the true lord? Were you a blank empty shell looking for real purpose and at the right moment someone came by and filled that aching void with the concept of serving Jesus and the ultimate purpose and reward?

Why your flavor of Jesus Faith? Why not Mormonism or the ministries of the Jehovah Witnesses?

Do you think Jesus was Dark Skinned or Light Skinned?

Did you choose the image of Jesus you conjure when you reflect on old blue eyes or do you know where it came from and why? (Wait old blue eyes is Sinatra right? Will some old person who knows set me straight? Im pretty certain I just used a Sinatra description to refer to Hay-Seuss.)

The Neo Nerd

You have no choice whether you believe in a god, much like i dont have a choice to not be able to believe in a god.

But you do have a choice to believe or ignore the facts proving or disproving your beliefs. That's the benchmark for an intellectually intelligent person.

-Q

Heneni

Miss Independent
If you found something yet have no idea what it is, you cannot identify the object or its purpose, would that mean you believe you have not found it? Surely not. You believe you found something, yet you are not sure what it is or what it is used for. The fact is, you found something and since you found it, you have to believe that you found it.

Now that you have found the object, what do you do in your mind? Give it value. Either hold on to it, or discard it. That is a choice. And that is the way God works. He is to be found by everybody (he made sure of that) but what you decide is what value you will give to such a find. The one will keep the find, treasure it, and in the case of God, believe in Him. The other will throw it away, not treasure it and cannot come to believe in Him.

So to find God is not a choice. To believe in Him is. However, IF you are not entirely free to make the choice to believe in him, then your will is being held captive in some way, and your ability to make the choice to believe in Him is influenced by forces that hinder you will to be free in making that choice. How could someone's will in the matters of believing in god be restrained? By having given up their will to someone else. Whatever you listen to becomes your master. IF that master is a slavedriver, then you have lost your free will. And so to believe in God, is a choice only when yu have been set free to make such a choice. In other words, if you are free to make the choice to believe in Him and experience the reality of that choice. God has chosen us. Since he is free in all ways to do so. We can only choose God, if we are free to do so. If we are not free to do so, our will has been taken captive.

Heneni

The Neo Nerd

Now that you have found the object, what do you do in your mind? Give it value. Either hold on to it, or discard it. That is a choice. And that is the way God works. He is to be found by everybody (he made sure of that)

I have yet to find any proof or fact of a deity. Perhaps i'm not looking hard enough.

Perhaps you could point any of it out for me.

I'm not makng fun of you here, i'm actually interested.

Thankyou,

-Q

Heneni

Miss Independent
I have yet to find any proof or fact of a deity. Perhaps i'm not looking hard enough.

Perhaps you could point any of it out for me.

I'm not makng fun of you here, i'm actually interested.

Thankyou,

-Q

You have found god. Perhaps what you have not been able to do, is accept it as proof of a deity. Nobody can go to a particular place to see God in person. Not yet. (Not since Jesus, who was the exact reflection of Gods glory in the form of a man). But proof of Gods existence is all around you. Can you say that you have never seen nature? Certainly not. So you have found God in the glory of his creation, yet it has not been sufficient proof to you of His existance. You have valued the find to be nothing other than nature. You cannot deny that you have seen the glory of God, which is a reflection of His being, in nature. Therefore you cannot deny that you have found Gods reflection. But what you have not been able to do, is treasure that find to lead you to believe in Him. You have determined that the value of creation as the reflection of the Glory of God is not a valuable proof, and therefore might have discarded it as such.

When somebody has found God's glory, they have found a reflection of who He is. A reflection in the mirror of yourself, is not you in real life, but its a very true picture of your glory. If someone points to your reflection in a mirror, and say, its not there, or its not you it would be frivolous. Nature is perhaps not the total Glory of God, but certainly a significant part of it. If you look at nature, you cannot behold it and deny you have 'seen' God.

God's glory is not only reflected in nature, but in anything and everything that reflects in some form his character, majesty, power and goodness.

When we see the glory of God, then comes the choice, do we value it, or do we discard it? And when we trade the Glory of God, for things that are man made, we make an aweful tradein. And when we ascribe more value to the things of man, than we do in the glory of God, we cannot begin to believe in Him, but believe in ourselves and in man and the things made of man, making ourselves and the world of more value and ascribing it more glory in our hearts than we do the glory of God.

Now I know that atheist would not say that nature is the reflection of Gods glory. Yet, if I have found a diamond, i cannot deny that I have found it. Yet I can deny its value or worth, and can even determine to not call it a diamond. But a diamond it still is.

Just to clarify, nature does not gaurentee that we will become close to God, but it does gaurentee that none can stand before him and say, I did not have any proof. This is why the bible says, everybody that comes to HIM, must believe that he is (exists). And for that reason God has placed ample proof of His existance everywhere around us. Yet, its not valuable enough proof to some. However, therein lies the problem. If the proof is not valuable enough, and the glory of God, which is the reflection of his being is not sufficient for us to believe in His existance, its not because the proof isnt there, but because we dont value the proof. And WE are the ones that decide what we value and what we dont. But we cannot avoid bumping into nature. Therefore Believing in god is a choice in as much as we choose to find value in His glory, but finding God is not a choice, since we cannot avoid nature.

I have used nature as an example here, but there are other forms of God's glory as well. I hope I have been able to explain myself sufficiently? If not, please afford me the opportunity to clarify in the future.

God bless you richly!
Heneni