• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bible Fails

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I do not see contradictions only misinterpretation and making comparisons to things of today that were different to things of yesterday. Your words are a contradiction to your faith. You have more in common it seems with Athiests IMO. Why call yourself Christian when you do not believe Gods' Word? This in itself is a contradiction. Where are you leading people by what you post to God or away from God? - What is your fruit?
see post # 13 in this thread.. Many Christians are blind.

Darkforbid

Some bibles claim to be "holy scripture" in the subtitle and I can conceive of some to claim to be "the news of God" (though I don't know of any). We could argue if the Bible fails at being "the news of God" (as you claim) but the OP asked about what I think is the biggest failure.
You don't seem to mind and even deny that Christians claim the bible to be a source of morality. I guess we can agree that the Bible is not a tool to teach morality, can't we? The argument would be if we should call it a failure.

News of God is what 'word of God' means. Like most so called contradiction in the books of the Bible. Are usually based on the readers lack of theological knowledge

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
What bible fail is the most 'oof!' in your opinion?

Imagine you could only point to one issue with the bible to convince someone that it was flawed and not inerrent. What is the most damning biblical mistake that really can't be harmonised, contextualised, or explained away?

It can be a contradiction, moral failing, unhistorical event, scientific error, misquote, or whatever.
Scientifically, the flood myth is pretty hard to beat. It was the first part of the Bible proven wrong with science.

Prophetically, the Tyre prophecy in the OT is right up there. In the NT Jesus's prophecy that he would be back in the lifetime of some of his disciples is a big one.

Darkforbid

Scientifically, the flood myth is pretty hard to beat. It was the first part of the Bible proven wrong with science.

Prophetically, the Tyre prophecy in the OT is right up there. In the NT Jesus's prophecy that he would be back in the lifetime of some of his disciples is a big one.

Like I just said on another topic only a complete imbecile would think a BC writer would have global knowledge

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Like I just said on another topic only a complete imbecile would think a BC writer would have global knowledge

You are in effect calling Bible literalists "complete imbecile"s. The myths of Genesis and Exodus are not a problem if treated as morality tales. The problem is that (at least in the good old USA) far too many Christians do not do that.

Galateasdream

I would say you making a thread like this and calling yourself a Christian trying to deny the very words of God you claim to believe and follow - shameful

If I defined Christian as I think you do, and held to the same theology as you do, then I would definitely agree that this would be somewhat shameful.

Obviously, though I do not, so I can't admit to feeling any shame.

I don't mind us agreeing to disagree, though. That's fine :)

Out of curiosity and a desire to be clear, how do you define 'Christian' so I can assess whether or not I am a Christian by your standards?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Got any of those to post?
I see that you have never studied the Bible.

Leviticus 25 44-46 tells a person whom he may purchase slaves from. That is at least tacit approval of slavery. If you are against something you do not tell people where it is okay to buy that product from

Leviticus 19 27 gives you some hair and beard trimming tips. And of course everyone knows that God hates polyester.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I see that you have never studied the Bible.

Leviticus 25 44-46 tells a person whom he may purchase slaves from. That is at least tacit approval of slavery. If you are against something you do not tell people where it is okay to buy that product from

Leviticus 19 27 gives you some hair and beard trimming tips. And of course everyone knows that God hates polyester.
Don't forget no braids...
1 Peter 3:3–4
1 Timothy 2:9​

sooda

Veteran Member

They don't know what the writings are.. For instance, Jonah is a comic novella. Its about xenophobia. Its not a story about a real person. The lesson is that Jonah may be angry and having a pout because God didn't destroy the people of Nineveh …. but God loves them too.

Heyo

Veteran Member
So, the bible was written by ignorant people? Didn't you just say it was written/inspired by god? Or is god also ignorant?