• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bible Fails

Galateasdream

A reflection upon my own OP:

In my own limited expereince, when moving away from inerrantist beliefs or talking to inerrantists, some problems are more impactful than others.

Apparent moral failings seem, to me, to not be much use. Whilst they may generate some internal dissonance or emotional difficulty, they can also be dismissed easily in terms of argument since a believer can ultimately just say that their own moral sense is wrong and the bible right. Though more likely these moral issues will be contextualised away, especially if in the OT.

Scientific issues are likewise not so effective, in my opinion. Very few people are well versed enough in science to really see the problems, and things like evolution are often contentious enough and disputed to enough for the believer in inerrancy to just side with the bible over science, which they point out as being fallible and subject to change.

Historical inaccuracies are stronger, and generally give pause for thought, but they can still be dismissed in terms of the bible being the source that gives the most accurate history and that it was simply the other sources that were wrong.

Indeed, in any comparison between the bible and extra-biblical evidence/sources the bible will always be favoured by default by the inerrantist - for obvious reasons. And this can't even be faulted - since if someone has come to believe (through independant argumentation/evidence) that the bible is the inspired word of God (and that this necessitates inerrancy), then it makes obvious sense to place the infallible text of a omniscient being over any other source.

So, it seems to me, that the strongest line of attack on biblical inerrency must come from internal problems - contradictions and misquotes.

stvdv

Veteran Member
What bible fail is the most 'oof!' in your opinion?
IMO:
A First Big one is "First human on earth was ca. 6000 years ago"

I do not see it so much as a Bible fail. I mean:
1) Bible writers did not have Google at their disposal
2) Bible writers just failed to "Peer Review" check their facts with India

sooda

Veteran Member
IMO:

Snake cults were all the rage in the Indus Valley, the Levant, Egypt, Arabia and Mesopotamia long before Adam and Eve.

Indus Valley Civilization - Ancient History Encyclopedia
Ancient History EncyclopediaIndus_Valley_Civilization
Oct 30, 2013 · The Indus Valley Civilization was an ancient civilization located in what is Pakistan and northwest India today, on the fertile flood plain of the Indus River and its vicinity. Evidence of religious practices in this area date back approximately to 5500 BCE. Farming settlements began around 4000 BCE and around 3000 BCE there appeared the first signs of urbanization.

sooda

Veteran Member
It list the authors of the books in the bible in most Bibles, ever read one?

This is a link to Early Christian Writings. It may be helpful to you.

Early Christian Writings: New Testament, Apocrypha, Gnostics, Church Fathers

90-120 3 John
90-120 Epistle of Jude
93 Flavius Josephus
100-150 1 Timothy
100-150 2 Timothy
100-150 Titus
100-150 Apocalypse of Peter
100-150 Secret Book of James
100-150 Preaching of Peter
100-160 Gospel of the Ebionites
100-160 Gospel of the Nazoreans
100-160 Shepherd of Hermas
100-160 2 Peter

Darkforbid

IMO:

Only if you think like halfwitted 16th century clergy

stvdv

Veteran Member
A reflection upon my own OP:

In my own limited expereince, when moving away from inerrantist beliefs or talking to inerrantists, some problems are more impactful than others.

Apparent moral failings seem, to me, to not be much use. Whilst they may generate some internal dissonance or emotional difficulty, they can also be dismissed easily in terms of argument since a believer can ultimately just say that their own moral sense is wrong and the bible right. Though more likely these moral issues will be contextualised away, especially if in the OT.

Scientific issues are likewise not so effective, in my opinion. Very few people are well versed enough in science to really see the problems, and things like evolution are often contentious enough and disputed to enough for the believer in inerrancy to just side with the bible over science, which they point out as being fallible and subject to change.

Historical inaccuracies are stronger, and generally give pause for thought, but they can still be dismissed in terms of the bible being the source that gives the most accurate history and that it was simply the other sources that were wrong.

Indeed, in any comparison between the bible and extra-biblical evidence/sources the bible will always be favoured by default by the inerrantist - for obvious reasons. And this can't even be faulted - since if someone has come to believe (through independant argumentation/evidence) that the bible is the inspired word of God (and that this necessitates inerrancy), then it makes obvious sense to place the infallible text of a omniscient being over any other source.

So, it seems to me, that the strongest line of attack on biblical inerrency must come from internal problems - contradictions and misquotes.
:)

IMO:
A bigger flaw in "biblical inerrancy" claims comes from making claims where it's ONLY a belief (=personal subjective opinion)
They sneakily try, using Bible verses again, to twist the definition of "belief", so the definition seems to come closer to "knowing"

Last edited:

Darkforbid

Why would you think that

pearl

For Roman Catholics, inerrancy is understood as a consequence of biblical inspiration; it has to do more with the truth of the Bible as a whole than with any theory of verbal inerrancy.

As for Genesis think of it as a
'prequel' to the whole. Its often done in movies sometime after a number of sequels, and offer the explanation of their beginning.
God breathed or inspired does not mean that God dictated and the human authors were court stenographers. The 'word' in God's word is human, with limited human knowledge.

stvdv

Veteran Member
Evidence of religious practices in this area date back approximately to 5500 BCE
So, that means 7500 years ago, instead of 6000 years ago
Then Bible evidence was quite good; without all resources we have now

I met a Master who told us that King Rama, in India, lived 20.000 years ago

Proving now, something happening 20.000 years ago is a bit hard
But 20.000 seems okay to me, knowing they already have evidence of 7500 years ago
Scientific evidence just give us the earliest we know off, it does not give us the Truth

3rdAngel

If I defined Christian as I think you do, and held to the same theology as you do, then I would definitely agree that this would be somewhat shameful.

Obviously, though I do not, so I can't admit to feeling any shame.

I don't mind us agreeing to disagree, though. That's fine :)

Out of curiosity and a desire to be clear, how do you define 'Christian' so I can assess whether or not I am a Christian by your standards?

Just the fact you are asking the question what is a "Christian", to me, only shows you do not know what one is. Yet here you are professing to be "Christian" but your fruit is denying God and his Word and trying to lead others to do the same... I believe the scriptures call these people wolves in sheeps clothing *ACTS 20:29; MATTHEW 7:15.

Their fruit is to lead others away from God and his Word. The question we must ask ourselves as "christian" is what are our fruit? JESUS says we shall know them by their fruit. Yours it seems is to lead others away from God and his Word. This is your fruit. This is how I know you are not from God. We are told to examine ourselves to see if we are in the faith or not. What are your fruit?

This alone only shows you do not know what christianity is yet you would lead us to believe you are "christian" - perhaps in name only. Something to think about. You call yourself "christian" like some others here. Yet your fruits are to lead all who listen to you away from God and his Word.

You are free to beleive as you wish. As a "christian" you would know we all stand before God come judgement day *JOHN 12:47-48

For many however at this time it will be too late - You shall know them by their fruits we are told. The question we need to be asking ourselves is what is our fruit? Something to think about :)

sooda

Veteran Member
Just the fact you are asking the question what is a "Christian", to me, only shows you do not know what one is. Yet here you are professing to be "Christian" but your fruit is denying God and his Word and trying to lead others to do the same... I believe the scriptures call these people wolves in sheeps clothing *ACTS 20:29; MATTHEW 7:15.

Their fruit is to lead others away from God and his Word. The question we must ask ourselves as "christian" is what are our fruit? JESUS says we shall know them by their fruit. Yours it seems is to lead others away from God and his Word. This is your fruit. This is how I know you are not from God. We are told to examine ourselves to see if we are in the faith or not. What are your fruit?

This alone only shows you do not know what christianity is yet you would lead us to believe you are "christian" - perhaps in name only. Something to think about. You call yourself "christian" like some others here. Yet your fruits are to lead all who listen to you away from God and his Word.

You are free to beleive as you wish. As a "christian" you would know we all stand before God come judgement day *JOHN 12:47-48

For many however at this time it will be too late - You shall know them by their fruits we are told. The question we need to be asking ourselves is what is our fruit? Something to think about :)

What are the fruits of leading people away from science and education.. What are the fruits of leading them back to the Bronze Age?

exchemist

Veteran Member
Many are though. Many call themselves Christian in name only and by their actions deny Gods' Word and teachings and try to lead others to do the same. These are not Christian in my view but wolves in sheeps clothing yet they may not even know it. By their fruit we are told we will know them. What is the fruit of our actions we should be asking ourselves. We are warned about people like this who call themselves christians but are not in the scriptures *ACTS 20:29
The phrase "in my view" seems to be doing a lot of work here. ;)

Most mainstream Christian denominations take a nuanced view of the meaning of stories in the bible, bearing in mind that it is collection of writings by different people in different eras. It is written by imperfect people, after all, whatever the inspiration behind it. The whole issue of biblical "inerrancy" seems to be very largely a N American preoccupation: Biblical inerrancy - Wikipedia

Galateasdream

Ok, we can agree that to you I am not a Christian, I am a wolf-in-sheeps-clothing, I deny God, I lead others astray, I produce 'bad fruit', and by one of your implications I'm going to be judged (and I assumed damned) post-mortem.

But how do you define Christian? I'd still like to know your stance on what makes someone a real Christian.

shmogie

It is amusing to see Christians use mental gymnastics to excuse their god of condoning slavery and rape so as not to interfere with free will, but have very specific demands concerning diet and hair..
You are talking about laws given to a specific people, for a specific reason, for a specific time. 4,000 years ago.

You got anything for the last 3,000 years?