• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bible Fails

leov

What bible fail is the most 'oof!' in your opinion?

Imagine you could only point to one issue with the bible to convince someone that it was flawed and not inerrent. What is the most damning biblical mistake that really can't be harmonised, contextualised, or explained away?

It can be a contradiction, moral failing, unhistorical event, scientific error, misquote, or whatever.
It failed to be properly understood.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Ah, so God is not the author of the Bible....
Of course not. It was written by men, obviously. The Christian (and Jewish?) argument is that it has divine inspiration, which is quite a different thing from claiming it is all of equal significance or that it is free from errors made by its human authors.

The very notion of "error" in the bible is itself problematic, given that a number of the stories in it clearly need to be read allegorically, rather than being read as historically or scientifically accurate.

Last edited:

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
The Israelites were primitive savages, that's what the Bible teaches me.

Darkforbid

Thank you for making my point. Your complaint has never applied to Christians, nor Jews for thousands of years.

I've personally never understood how anyone can throw modern thinking at achient history. It's like watching the Ben-Hur Chariot race and asking, "Why ain't they using cars?“

shmogie

Yep, primitive saveges! That must be true. That's why we're still reading their collect works today,.... For ****s sake!
The primitive savages were in Europe and parts of other continents. Israel had a written detailed system of laws, including common sense dietary and health laws.

By extension of the Jewish religion through Christianity, a faith exists in the world that that by far is held by more people than atheism.

By numbers, critical atheists compared to theists in the world are crying in the dark.

Why, if their position is so much more viable to human reason? Are most people fools?

sooda

Veteran Member
The primitive savages were in Europe and parts of other continents. Israel had a written detailed system of laws, including common sense dietary and health laws.

By extension of the Jewish religion through Christianity, a faith exists in the world that that by far is held by more people than atheism.

By numbers, critical atheists compared to theists in the world are crying in the dark.

Why, if their position is so much more viable to human reason? Are most people fools?

Code of Hammurabi - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_of_Hammurabi
th

The Code of Hammurabi is a well-preserved Babylonian code of law of ancient Mesopotamia, dated to about 1754 BC (Middle Chronology). It is one of the oldest deciphered writings of significant length in the world.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I've personally never understood how anyone can throw modern thinking at achient history. It's like watching the Ben-Hur Chariot race and asking, "Why ain't they using cars?“
I agree, but I think the implied point is that some Christians, at any rate, seem to treat the writings of these ancient people as 100% blindly applicable to us today.