• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biblical Contradictions

I do not mean disrespect, but how can a person honestly attempt to answer these without having researched language, culture and history?
I'm (at best) an interested novice, and I can recognize contradictions. It happens.

The scribal error is a common excuse (with scholarly back up), but one has to wonder how Tabernacle would allow these errors in His book.

Vadergirl123

Instead of just googling and looking for things to fit your ridiculous hypothesis....try reading a Greek bible with English commentary
I didn't use google, I used my Bible and a greek dictionary. :)
epithumia can mean all sorts of things but it depends on context,
You're absolutely correct context is very improtant, and epithumia means a longing(especially for what's forbiden) that longing can also refer to lust or desire.
Rom 7:7(as you pointed out), Gal 5:16 and Jas 1:14-15 are a few examples of when the word's used to describe lust.
However in I Thess 2:17, Phil 1:23, and Matt 13:17 the word's used to express a longing to do something, but not able too. In Thess. Paul talks about how he wants to come see the brethren, but is unable too, b/c Satan has blocked his way. In Philipians Paul wants to be with Christ but realizes it's better for him to stay with the believers, and in Matthew 13 Jesus tells how many prophets and righteuous people have longed to see what the disciples had seen, but they weren't able too.
When you read Luke 22 I don't think it makes since to say Jesus was "lusting" after the passover. He's using the word like it's used in I Thess, Phil, and Matt. he's expressing a longing to have the passover, but he's unable too.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
A jewish day isn't from sunset to sunset?
For the purposes of this discussion, yes.

• This year's First Seder (the Passover meal) began at sundown (7:02 pm in Chicago) on Friday, April 6th, called 'Erev Pesach'.
  • The (Friday, 4/6) period prior to sundown - the period of the preparation of the seder - was the 14th of Nisan, 5772, on the Hebrew calendar.
  • Sundown inaugurated the 15th of Nisan (Pesach I), i.e., the first 24 hours of Passover.
Does that help?

BobbyisStrange

The Adversary
I didn't use google, I used my Bible and a greek dictionary. :)

You're absolutely correct context is very improtant, and epithumia means a longing(especially for what's forbiden) that longing can also refer to lust or desire.
Rom 7:7(as you pointed out), Gal 5:16 and Jas 1:14-15 are a few examples of when the word's used to describe lust.
However in I Thess 2:17, Phil 1:23, and Matt 13:17 the word's used to express a longing to do something, but not able too. In Thess. Paul talks about how he wants to come see the brethren, but is unable too, b/c Satan has blocked his way. In Philipians Paul wants to be with Christ but realizes it's better for him to stay with the believers, and in Matthew 13 Jesus tells how many prophets and righteuous people have longed to see what the disciples had seen, but they weren't able too.
When you read Luke 22 I don't think it makes since to say Jesus was "lusting" after the passover. He's using the word like it's used in I Thess, Phil, and Matt. he's expressing a longing to have the passover, but he's unable too.

He isnt expressing lust, he is expressing his desire.

BobbyisStrange

The Adversary
No it would have been the end of the 14th or beginning of the 15th.

For the purposes of this discussion, yes.

• This year's First Seder (the Passover meal) began at sundown (7:02 pm in Chicago) on Friday, April 6th, called 'Erev Pesach'.
  • The (Friday, 4/6) period prior to sundown - the period of the preparation of the seder - was the 14th of Nisan, 5772, on the Hebrew calendar.
  • Sundown inaugurated the 15th of Nisan (Pesach I), i.e., the first 24 hours of Passover.
Does that help?

They wouldnt have eaten the meal at sunset of the 15th.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
... he's expressing a longing to have the passover, but he's unable too.
:banghead3

Luke 22:7-15
  • Then came the day of unleavened bread, when the passover must be killed.
  • And he sent Peter and John, saying, Go and prepare us the passover, that we may eat.
  • And they said unto him, Where wilt thou that we prepare?
  • And he said unto them, Behold, when ye are entered into the city, there shall a man meet you, bearing a pitcher of water; follow him into the house where he entereth in.
  • And ye shall say unto the goodman of the house, The Master saith unto thee, Where is the guestchamber, where I shall eat the passover with my disciples?
  • And he shall shew you a large upper room furnished: there make ready.
  • And they went, and found as he had said unto them: and they made ready the passover.
  • And when the hour was come, he sat down, and the twelve apostles with him.
  • And he said unto them, With desire I have desired to eat this passover with you before I suffer: ...
As appropriate - during the day of the 14th of Nisan - they made ready the passover.

When the hour came - at sundown, erev pesach, the beginning the 15th of Nisan - he sat down with his apostles.

At that meal - in the first minutes of Pesach, the 15th of Nisan - he spoke of his desire to eat this passover meal.

Any attempt to reconstruct this as something other than what is clearly stated is either deception or delusion.

You would honestly have us believe that the apostles trotted off during the day, found the man and the venue, prepared the passover mean, and then Jesus dropped by to eat some other meal while referencing the recently prepared lamb as it grew cold on some other table. This isn't theology; it's blighted comedy.

Last edited:

Vadergirl123

He isnt expressing lust, he is expressing his desire.
Right he's expressing a longing. When the word is used it either means lust longing/ or a longing where he wants to do something but is unable to(like in those other verses) the forbiden longing makes more sense within the context.