• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biblical Contradictions

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
How do you know there are 460 contradictions and not just context and setting ?

For example: before Jesus, people were under John's baptism.
After Jesus was baptized then all were to be baptized or rebaptized now in Jesus name.

The gospel is one gospel by four writers meant to be put together as one.

Why not post one verse at a time and say why you think that verse contradicts another ?

I'd say that a small issue of combining the Gospels together is the matter of Jesus clearing the temple. It is the climax of Jesus' ministry in the synoptic Gospels, and near the start of his ministry in John.
That's the one that sprung to the top of my head.

Vadergirl123

How do you know there are 460 contradictions and not just context and setting ?
Why not post one verse at a time and say why you think that verse contradicts another ?
I don't, that's why if you read my first post I said I'm going to attempt to refute the contradictions in this list(however if I manage to have responses for all of them, then I'm panning on just asking people to give contradictions that weren't mentioned :) ). There's alot of verses in the Bible and verses that might sound contradictory to other people won't sound that way to me. Most of these contradictions I've never even thought/heard of.

Last edited:

Vadergirl123

No. 54 How many of Bebai's offspring returned from Babylon?
This answer is the same as the one I replied to on page 14(post 140)

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Last edited:

Vadergirl123

You can keep ignoring this, Vadergirl123, http://www.religiousforums.com/foru...15-biblical-contradictions-9.html#post2921144
But it isn't going to go away. :)
I'm sorry :((I'm not trying to ignore it) however I've just recently started checking back on this thread and in case you haven't noticed it's taking me awhile to do things ha ha ha.
Anyway it's No. 420 Who tempted David to number Israel?
Looking Unto Jesus - Did Satan or God move David to number the people? - Limestone Church of Christ, Kingston, Ontario, Standing for New Testament Christianity, Bible, faith, Bible study, word of God, Christianity, Christian, church, truth, atheism,
Apologetics Press - Who Incited David to Number Israel?

mycorrhiza

That one just makes an unsubstantiated claim and says "no contradiction". There is no evidence that points towards it meaning "God allowed it" rather than "God did it".

Also, refute them instead of just posting links.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Does anyone care what Limestone Church of Christ has to say on the matter? In what recognized way (and by that I mean recognized by other bible scholars) are they an authority on this subject?

Alceste

Vagabond
Does anyone care what Limestone Church of Christ has to say on the matter? In what recognized way (and by that I mean recognized by other bible scholars) are they an authority on this subject?

I think inerrantists "recognize" that they are able to string together sentences that appear to make the Bible seem to be inerrant, if not examined too closely or reflected on too deeply. Maybe that's the only credential an inerrantist Bible "scholar" really needs.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I think inerrantists "recognize" that they are able to string together sentences that appear to make the Bible seem to be inerrant, if not examined too closely or reflected on too deeply. Maybe that's the only credential an inerrantist Bible "scholar" really needs.
"Inerrantist" and "bible scholar" are mutually-exclusive terms.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm sorry :((I'm not trying to ignore it) however I've just recently started checking back on this thread and in case you haven't noticed it's taking me awhile to do things ha ha ha.
Anyway it's No. 420

Where do you get that number from? :shrug: I originally posted the question on page 9 of this thread, post #88. At most there might have been 40 or 50 questions prior to that.

The page you linked to doesn't even try to reconcile the contradiction, it just subtly changes the subject:

"We are told that God does not tempt man to commit sin (James 1:13), however, Scripture often describes God as doing what He has permitted to be done. Such is the case here, as God allowed Satan to tempt David (see examples in Exodus 7:13; 1 Samuel 26:19; 2 Samuel 16:10; Psalm 105:25). By God's absence (for he was angry against Israel), and Satan's activity in provoking David to do evil, David was moved to number the children of Israel."

The contradiction is in the narration---one passage says one thing happened, the other says something else happened---not in the theology.

The site you linked to just side-steps the question.

Vadergirl123

That one just makes an unsubstantiated claim and says "no contradiction". There is no evidence that points towards it meaning "God allowed it" rather than "God did it".
Actually the claim wasn't "unsubstantiated" since we see in Job that God allows Satan to do things. So you can't say the two verses are contradictory. You can say there's no evidence, but that doesn't really mean anything in the context of a contradiction.
Also, refute them instead of just posting links.
The links are more convenient, and I'll just get the same answers they're getting, which would kind of be plagerizing(I was accused of this earlier in the thread)
I've said a couple times now that I'll be researching the ones that don't have christain responses. It'll take me awhile though, so if youdon't want links ask questions that don't already have responses :)

Vadergirl123

Where do you get that number from? :shrug:
It's the contradiction number on the list :) Out of 463 it's No. 420
The page you linked to doesn't even try to reconcile the contradiction, it just subtly changes the subject:
"We are told that God does not tempt man to commit sin (James 1:13), however, Scripture often describes God as doing what He has permitted to be done. Such is the case here, as God allowed Satan to tempt David (see examples in Exodus 7:13; 1 Samuel 26:19; 2 Samuel 16:10; Psalm 105:25). By God's absence (for he was angry against Israel), and Satan's activity in provoking David to do evil, David was moved to number the children of Israel."
The contradiction is in the narration---one passage says one thing happened, the other says something else happened---not in the theology. The site you linked to just side-steps the question.
Keep reading, the links adress why one said God and the other said Satan.

Last edited: